snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Bogus metric prefixes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bogus metric prefixes
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On this one site I saw about metric prefixes it has a list of some that are "bogus" http://pages.prodigy.net/pizzabagel/Trivia_MetricPrefixes.htm Thats the site (the bogus prefixes are on the far right at the top and bottom). What Im wondering is who made them up and why?

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably scientists or mathematicians who were trying to come up with a prefix for a number they used frequently, but the prefix never caught on.

Either that, or math teachers who deliberately put them on tests to fool their students.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of them looked like mistakes people might have made at some point. dk being used for deka seems a possible choice if you didn't actually know to use da (which I didn't, but I don't think I've ever used deka). yotta and otta could be simple mistakes too.

The top three and bottom three are stranger, though.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JTWildStar
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What, no prefixes to represent googols (10^100) or googolplexes (10^googol)? How tame...

------------
J.T. "yotta yotta yotta" WildStar

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've honestly never seen or heard of the "bogus" prefixes. Does anyone else recognize them?

Alchemy

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones I've heard of - micro, nano, pico, deci, centi, milli, deca, hecto, kilo, mega, giga and tera. The others I haven't.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "bogus" ones are prefixes used in some context or another, but which are not officially recognized.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to the official prefixes, I've heard of hepa- and micromicro- (and the old fashioned slang for micromicrofarad - mikey-mike).

I've seen both dk and D for deka-.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elbe, on the wings of a gaos:
yotta and otta could be simple mistakes too.

Seems likely, but it isn't: otta is for eight, and it follows the same logic as hepa, exa, peta (seven, six, five).

Luís "sometimes a y is just a y" Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm beginning to wish we had a Yatta- prefix:

-

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages