snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Computers Archive » Spyware Researchers Discover ID Theft Ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spyware Researchers Discover ID Theft Ring
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Spyware researchers picking apart one of the more notorious spyware programs have stumbled upon what appears to be a massive identity theft ring hijacking confidential data from millions of infected computers.
Yahoo! News Story Here!

After reading the entire story, I believe this is the one instance in which I believe "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" is almost a must. What a bunch of scum.

Skye

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'd like to meet the NFBSK who created that and cut his/her head, hands, arms, feet, toes, and fingers off, then dump them in the amazon. Seriously. I'm a violent person.

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so are there any particular defenses one can take to keep this program from even entering your system? Not just detect its presence and delete it, mind you, but to keep this thing from ever getting aboard in the fist place.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Either Microsoft Antispyware or Spyware Blaster (if updates are applied) should do the job.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
OK, so are there any particular defenses one can take to keep this program from even entering your system? Not just detect its presence and delete it, mind you, but to keep this thing from ever getting aboard in the fist place.

- Pseudo_Croat

Firefox, Opera, Netscape.

Also, stop downloading junk for your computer. By junk I mean any "application/toolbar" that claims faster better searches, or will add cool smileys to e-mail.

It may sound like fun, but in the end, it will not be worth it.

Be careful about P2P Networks. That file/free application you download may not be what it seems.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Webroot's spysweeper works pretty well in our environment.

Mostly like SoToasty said you just need to use your computer responsibly.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found that no one tool cleans up everything. I recently got hit with a nasty. It was a combi package of trojan horses, Aurora, 180 Search, Cool Web, Bulls eye network, a keyboard logger, and it would seem that i was also hosting something.

I used Adaware SE, Spybot S&D, CWS Shredder, Ewido, Zone Alarm, AVAST, HijackThis, Regcleaner, Trojan Hunter, and was still unable to completely rid myself of the malware. It came down to a lowlevel format.

The best advice I have is keep at least 3 programs (more is better) to help battle the crap out there, and definatly switch to Firefox.

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just give a big round of applause to those who develop and distribute anti-spyware tools for free. I have Ad-Aware and SpyWare Guard, they work a treat and didn't cost me a penny (except my donation of course!)
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
'59 Ford Wheelman
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti:
Can I just give a big round of applause to those who develop and distribute anti-spyware tools for free. I have Ad-Aware and SpyWare Guard, they work a treat and didn't cost me a penny (except my donation of course!)

I'll go with you on that. Kudos to those guys. I use both AdAware and Spybot, and have been happy. I'd also like to recommend Avast for anti-virus protection. Best of all, I learned about all of them from this web site!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eucrow

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As the article says, not all anti-spyware will detect a malicious program that logs keystrokes. It sounds like a virus, actually, if anyone still cares about the difference.
Anyway, I found it reasonable to change my bank password every week. I do it very simple - same base word with a few numbers inserted in the middle. The numbers are changed based on a simple multiplier of the current week number. I have a reminder in Outlook to do it every Monday once I get into the office.
If my password gets stolen, the hackers will have to use it the same week only. Even if they log the next one, as I change it - they would still have a week. With thousands of passwords being stolen, i doubt, my little money is at risk.
I am thinking of running the same password change in my email accounts.

Dondi
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dondi   E-mail Dondi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eucrow:
As the article says, not all anti-spyware will detect a malicious program that logs keystrokes. It sounds like a virus, actually, if anyone still cares about the difference.
Anyway, I found it reasonable to change my bank password every week. I do it very simple - same base word with a few numbers inserted in the middle. The numbers are changed based on a simple multiplier of the current week number. I have a reminder in Outlook to do it every Monday once I get into the office.
If my password gets stolen, the hackers will have to use it the same week only. Even if they log the next one, as I change it - they would still have a week. With thousands of passwords being stolen, i doubt, my little money is at risk.

You sure are giving a lot of clues to your password. You ought to be more careful; never underestimate a hacker.

--------------------
"It won't mean a thing in a hundred years." - John Popper

Posts: 695 | From: Southern Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trevor

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

- Pseudo_Croat

Install ANY operating system by ANYONE other than Microsoft.

Trevor

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eucrow:

The problem with this is that if someone knows your password for 2 weeks, then they can easily guess your password for consecutive weeks. Your system is much better than not changing the password ever. However, if you do something like multiplying with the weeknumber, shifting the numbers around and replacing certain numbers with others. Not that these codes cannot be broken. Anyone with a good enough eye for patterns or a fast computer can break the code if they have enough samples of your password. However, the more complicated you make your algorithm, the more harder it will be for someone to break it.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages