snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Computers Archive » Ctrl+Alt+Delete

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ctrl+Alt+Delete
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 603 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it an urban legend that the file 'taskmgr.exe' runs the ctrl+alt+delete function in Windows? I can't find that file on any computer yet ctrl+alt+delete works on them. (Windows 98)

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Phantom Phreak
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Phantom Phreak   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Phantom Phreak   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
no, i just closed Taskmgr.exe and CTRL+ALT+DEL still worked, it brings up a menu with all the options to log off etc, but taskmgr doesnt run CTRL+ALT+DEL

--------------------
We have just gotten a wake-up call from the Nintendo Generation!

Posts: 225 | From: New York, no grass... | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ctrl+alt+delete is just a shortcut. It has to be calling up something, maybe the name of the file you are looking for is misspelled or hidden so it can't be deleted.
What I did, was go onto the run thingy and enter in taskmgr.exe and it called up my task manager. So I think the file is hidden and protected so you can't delete it.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Ctrl+alt+delete(among other shortcuts) were handled by the operating system itself. So, there is no single file or program that handles it

I wouldnt want it any other way, too. You dont want a virus to embed itself in the Ctrl+alt+delete function

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I always thought Ctrl+alt+delete(among other shortcuts) were handled by the operating system itself. So, there is no single file or program that handles it
What do you thing the operating system is ?

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:
quote:
[geek programmer mode]
The operating system is, technically, not a program. A program is an entity that tells the operating system what it needs the operating system to do. So, basically a program is running inside the operating system. So, I wouldnt call Windows a program.
[/geek prgrammer mode]

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can tell I'm sleepy when I make a clumsy attempt to outsmart an expert, fail miserably, and then notice I misspelled "think".

Oh dear.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So on one of my computers, Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work anymore. How can I restore it?

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
You can tell I'm sleepy when I make a clumsy attempt to outsmart an expert, fail miserably, and then notice I misspelled "think".

Oh dear.

I know I should have been clearer. My point was that I dont think there is a single file that handles C-A-D. If I recollect correctly, the C-A-D used to be handled by the BIOS in old DOS machines. They put it in there, primarily because crappy DOS would'nt protect the programs from sending incorrect commands to the hardware, or from freezing DOS itself. So, if a program sent an incorrect command to the hardware, the BIOS will throw the BSOD out, and C-A-D allowed the user to restart the OS. If DOS froze, the user could use C-A-D to bring the BSOD itself and restart OS. I think somewhere along the line, Windows became mature enough to handle C-A-D itself, although I'm not sure when. I think it must be around Windows NT. I'm not sure whether Windows intercepts C-A-D itself or C-A-D goes to the BIOS which routes the command to Windows.

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So on one of my computers, Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work anymore. How can I restore it?
Well, you can do what I do, and RESTORE it to its basic components. A Craftsman hammer works quite effectively [fish]

Dog--I have nothing to add [Frown] --water

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
Originally posted by kendor:

EEP!! Never seen that one.
a) Did you try rebooting?
b) Keyboard problems?? Do each of the keys work individually?

--------------------
Nico Sasha

WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
They put it in there, primarily because crappy DOS would'nt protect the programs from sending incorrect commands to the hardware, or from freezing DOS itself. So, if a program sent an incorrect command to the hardware, the BIOS will throw the BSOD out, and C-A-D allowed the user to restart the OS. If DOS froze, the user could use C-A-D to bring the BSOD itself and restart OS.

Actually when IBM first developed the PC, users weren't even supposed to know about C-A-D. It was there, but not documented; it was esentially an easter egg. Dave Bradley, the engineer who wrote the original BIOS, put it there to make his and the other engineers' lives easier, as they had to restart their machines rather frequently as the bugs were still being worked out. At some point, some IBM salesmen got wind of this feature and began telling their customers about it.

This information comes Dr. Bradley himself, who teaches a class at my alma mater.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ilwrath
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I recollect correctly, the C-A-D used to be handled by the BIOS in old DOS machines. They put it in there, primarily because crappy DOS would'nt protect the programs from sending incorrect commands to the hardware, or from freezing DOS itself. So, if a program sent an incorrect command to the hardware, the BIOS will throw the BSOD out, and C-A-D allowed the user to restart the OS. If DOS froze, the user could use C-A-D to bring the BSOD itself and restart OS. I think somewhere along the line, Windows became mature enough to handle C-A-D itself, although I'm not sure when. I think it must be around Windows NT. I'm not sure whether Windows intercepts C-A-D itself or C-A-D goes to the BIOS which routes the command to Windows.
Oh boy... my knowledge back this far in PC history is a bit hazy, too. (Hey, I was a C64 and then Amiga geek back then!) But I think you're on the right path, Mad Jay. Originally, I believe that C-A-D threw an exception that was caught in the BIOS and rebooted the computer. AFAIK that no longer happens, though. Windows captures it, but uses it as some method to get the OS kernel's attention to certain matters. (such as the famous "Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to logon" on Windows NT/2000 [and can be re-enabled for XP pro])

IIRC, Linux also captures this key combination, but doesn't really do anything special with it. (Serves some minor functions in certain window managers, I think...)

Anyhow, if Ctrl-Alt-Delete stopped working in Windows.... I'd probably first examine the keyboard, because as far as I know, the section of code that captures C-A-D runs in the kernel and you sure can't load Windows without that! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amiga geeks unite? Why use Ctrl-Alt-Del when Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga works so good for gurus? [Big Grin]
Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
They put it in there, primarily because crappy DOS would'nt protect the programs from sending incorrect commands to the hardware, or from freezing DOS itself. So, if a program sent an incorrect command to the hardware, the BIOS will throw the BSOD out, and C-A-D allowed the user to restart the OS. If DOS froze, the user could use C-A-D to bring the BSOD itself and restart OS.

Actually when IBM first developed the PC, users weren't even supposed to know about C-A-D. It was there, but not documented; it was esentially an easter egg. Dave Bradley, the engineer who wrote the original BIOS, put it there to make his and the other engineers' lives easier, as they had to restart their machines rather frequently as the bugs were still being worked out. At some point, some IBM salesmen got wind of this feature and began telling their customers about it.

This information comes Dr. Bradley himself, who teaches a class at my alma mater.

Ahh!! I didnt know about that! But didnt the DOS BSOD screen say "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete" to restart the machine? Was that message there from the beggining or was it added later on?

--------------------
Nico Sasha

eakf
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kendor:

Just a thought.. Have you tried running 'taskmgr.exe' from the run command? I.E. Is it possible that this file is corrupt or missing?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my windows 2000 Admin classes, I believe that C-A-D is a funtion enitrely unique to Windows. Which lead me to believe that its part of teh operating system and calls up a system prompt of types at different times much like what pressing the start menue button on your keyboard.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
regarding "So on one of my computers, Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work anymore. How can I restore it?"

Three methods you can do

1) If Microsoft has it, they can explain on restoring the problem.

2) If you pop in your Windows CD and run the bootup, you can use the "repair" method. Be in mind though you will lose your WindowsUpdates and have to do them again.

3) Sick and tired of your computer crashing over and over again, format the hard drive with the Windows CD (OEM Edition). "Install" Petition "/WINNT or /WINDOWS" "Keep petition as it is (Default NTFAT?)" 30 minute format and 1-2 hr install instructions.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Windows XP it looks like taskmgr.exe is the windows that pops up when you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, but ending it just closes the window, you can still use Ctrl-Alt-delete to bring it back again.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ctrl+Alt+Del is the IBM PC architecture secure attention sequence. In real mode (DOS), it reboots the computer. In protected mode (such as Windows 9x, NT, Linux), the OS can trap the keyboard combination.

On the Mac, it was Ctrl+Power.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoWay:
regarding "So on one of my computers, Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work anymore. How can I restore it?"

Three methods you can do

Read the OP closer -- kendor has Windows 98.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadshochet:

On the Mac, it was Ctrl+Power.

Ctrl+Command(Apple)+Power, and it still is. Except newer keyboards don't have power buttons so it's the eject button instead.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rorgg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rorgg   E-mail Rorgg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadshochet:
[QB][*]Under OS/2 and Linux, it reboots the computer.

That's the default on most linux distros, but the action to be taken when a ctrl-alt-del is captured can be changed with a text file edit.
Posts: 45 | From: Schaumburg, IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always unplugging the machine to get it to do your own bidding. God I miss the Commodore Days! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1068513011
There is a procedure here that might fix your problem... or it might hose your PC for good. The procedure is as follows:

"Maybe a keyboard problem, first try ctrl + alt + Del on the numeric pad. If no luck...Try this: Open the system.ini file with Notepad, and look under the [386Enh] section heading. If it contains the entry "LocalReboot=Off" or "False", change it to "LocalReboot=On" or "True". If it does not contain the entry, add it. Click File menu>Save, then Exit Notepad. Re-boot. Test."

Hope this helps.

Stew"So what did you do to it?"Pot

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
[geek programmer mode]
The operating system is, technically, not a program. A program is an entity that tells the operating system what it needs the operating system to do. So, basically a program is running inside the operating system. So, I wouldnt call Windows a program.
[/geek prgrammer mode]

Windows is the program that DOS runs. So wouldn't Windows techincally be a program, and DOS would be it's OS?

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was true (to decreasing degrees) for windows 3.11 95 and 98 but windows XP really is it's own OS. Some important parts of it, like Explorer are just exe files though.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages