snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Computers Archive » On-Line IQ Tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On-Line IQ Tests
Crafty
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Computers would be the best place to ask this, but feel free to move me somewhere else if needed...
Okay - I just am wondering really how accurate an on-line IQ test could be? Specifically, I'm referring to the Tickle IQ test that has it's pop ups on here all the time: Tickle IQ Test . Just for a lark, I took it, and then I took it again and intentionally answered things wrong just to see what it would do to the score.
Anyhoo - I would love to hear if anyone else has done this, and what they think of the score they received? I refuse to pay the money to get the "in-depth" analysis of my intelligence, but it does give the basic score for free.
I'm just looking for opinions - could this test be considered fairly accurate,although not as in depth as a true IQ test, or is it just way off?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Smart-a-chow, but I don't think your test was discussed.

ETA : although it looks awfully similar.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FiberglassPanda

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tickle IQ test isn't a scam along the Peggy Hill lines though, I don't think - it just tries to get a little extra $$ out of you for the in-depth analysis, like every other emode test.

As far as the accuracy goes, I took it a while ago for fun and it gave me a score 30 points lower than my actual IQ. But I think that's because I got bored and skipped a few of the questions. And I don't believe in IQ as a measure of intelligence anyway. [Smile]

Crafty

quote:
Originally posted by Chapter One of Bug Muldoon:
Smart-a-chow, but I don't think your test was discussed.

ETA : although it looks awfully similar.

Thanks for the Chow! It's just a curiosity of mine!
Crafty

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FiberglassPanda:
And I don't believe in IQ as a measure of intelligence anyway. [Smile]

I think they are a pretty good measure of "book smarts", not to be confused with good ol' everyday practical knowledge. And sometimes they can reveal critical thinking and analytical skills, but again, that is different than "street smarts".
Allison
Tennessee Ernie Ford

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Allison   E-mail Allison   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(note: where IS that pedant smiley?)

The term "IQ" is slightly misleading in that we don't really use the concept of "intelligence quotient" anymore (formerly seen as the person's mental age, divided by their chronological age, multiplied by 100). However, non-professional shorthand still refers to an intelligence test score as an "IQ" test score.

ANYWAY, there are multiple theories of intelligence, one of which is Sternberg's triarchic theory. He states that intelligence seems to consist of three characteristics that work together: academic, creative and practical. Traditional intelligence tests only truly measure the first (and occasionally and very briefly, the second), so they tend to provide a biased view of intelligence.

There will be a test. [Big Grin]

Allison

--------------------
If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
Anatole France

Posts: 1576 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a couple of those on-line tests and tested at a near genius to genius level....I know they must be crap.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that all of Tickle's tests were just bait-and-switch devices to get you to join their singles network.

BTW, I've taken three online IQ tests from different websites and they were within a five point spread of each other, which makes them seem legitimate to me.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BTW, I've taken three online IQ tests from different websites and they were within a five point spread of each other, which makes them seem legitimate to me.
I doubt it. My lowest score in these tests is about 140-150, an me ain't no smarten type, no sir-ree.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the best "tests" on the web are the ones at Spark.com. Unfortunately they now require a free registration.

If you can stomach that part of the process, I recommend the Untelligence Test

My score:
89% Untelligent!
(blah, blah)....Finally, the subject displayed a great (and somewhat perverted) sense of humor, a nearly satanic lack of morality, and a arrogant and inflated self-confidence. The balance of these three traits is important; high levels of confidence, medium levels of morality, and a good level of humor make for the strongest individuals."

Amazingly accurate assessment... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These types of tests almost always test what you *know*, not how fast you learn, as a true IQ test does.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took the Tickle IQ test a couple of years ago, and it gave me a score of 133 the first time. The second time it was 131.

I haven't taken the Tickle IQ test in a while, so I think I'll try taking it again just to see if my score changes.

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have taken various IQ tests aswell as the BBC's Test The Nation twice. I always score between 125-140. They may not be entirely legitimate as a forms of practical everyday inteligence, but they do at least seem consistent with one another.

My Dad and I score very similarly on IQ tests and always have the best debates. My Mother who has incredible general knowledge and memory, but scores very low on IQ tests is terrible at debating and explaining instructions. That had nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to make my post longer. I figured you guys just skim through the topics and judge the worthfulness of each post by how long and correctly punctuated it is. I could be writing any rubbish in here and I doubt anyone would notice, just so long as I exited with an intelligent relevant point, which is why as much as I enjoy IQ tests I don't like using them as a comparison to judge people's intelligence. People are brilliant in diferent ways. My way just happens to be measurable [Big Grin]

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took e-mode's test last year and came up with similar score from one I took in the second grade. I guess its at least as accurate as the former.

Something about taking them makes me think of Peggy Hill saying:
quote:
"What if I'm average? Do you know how **dumb** average is?"

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I score between 109 & 147 when I take the online IQ tests; the lower scores are always those picture/number ones. Dunno if that has any meaning though, except to confirm what I already know: I don't have the capability of looking at a drawing and imagining it in 3-D.

ki"always average"tap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J. Thaddeus Toad

Spark's intellegence test measured me at 178. That can't be right.
I've always tested somewhat above average, but occasionally whenever I take a test I score a good 40-50 points higher than I usually do, which tends to shatter my confidence in them.

Dougc

So, what I've often wondered...

I'd love to see the demographics on those who actually do pay for the online IQ special report. If your IQ is above 100, then perhaps you're too smart to fall for paying for that report??

Or, if your IQ is above 140, then are you tricked into paying for the report to show all your friends how smart you are?

So, perhaps there are two scores here -- which would explain *why* those online tests show high scores... if your IQ is below 120, but the report shows you above 140 -- bing! You're in the category to pay for the report?

Well, I've been curious about that anyway, so I thought I'd post and ask what others think, if anything.

I probably show as having 1 post, but in truth, I do only post once or twice a year (since about 1998?), and I forget my password in the meantime so I create a new account. This one is my latest.

Doug "well, I'd still have less than a dozen posts" c

Sapient Homo
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapient Homo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took the test ages ago and it came up roughly correct based on other tests I had taken in proper test conditions not long before.

--------------------
"Actually I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know."

George Bush after the Midterms

Posts: 165 | From: Margate, Kent, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
afterdeath

I took it and got a 135, but that was when I was younger, so what is the best score possible? who has the closest?
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The best score possible depends on the test and the difficulty of the questions asked. The highest measured IQs I believe usually hang somewhere around the 190 mark.

There are (probably apocryphal) tales of people with IQs well into the 200s, including one man who learned 40 languages my the time he died for amusement, a man who memorised pages from the phone book as a challenge, and a 15 year old who managed to hack into warehouse systems and change their production lines to mess up the production of the goods inside.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mementoed
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Mementoed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mementoed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Moved to the appropriate thread...thx
Posts: 36 | From: Texas! | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you paid the money for "in-depth" analysis of your intelligence" then, chances are, you are not very bright. My IQ on Tickle came out to 130. This means I am smart enough not to be fooled by on-line con men but, obviously, dumb enough to take the test to begin with.

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
The best score possible depends on the test and the difficulty of the questions asked. The highest measured IQs I believe usually hang somewhere around the 190 mark.

There are (probably apocryphal) tales of people with IQs well into the 200s, including one man who learned 40 languages my the time he died for amusement, a man who memorised pages from the phone book as a challenge, and a 15 year old who managed to hack into warehouse systems and change their production lines to mess up the production of the goods inside.

From what I understand, the standard IQ tests have maximum scores in the high 160s, and the stories of somebody with an IQ of 200 are exaggerated. Also, the the tests are scaled differently, so an IQ score on one might not be comparable to a score on another because the same score on both might represent a different percentile rank, or vice versa.

Thanks.

Bill

Clarkone68
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Hawking?

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be very skeptical of any IQ test that I saw on the internet. While they may look similar to some other IQ tests, I doubt that they have gone through the validity testing that would make them considered an accurate assessment of intelligence.

While there are many real IQ tests out there, they do try to use a similar scoring system to aid in interpreting the results. For example, pretty much all IQ tests assume a mean of 100 with a standard deviation of 15. However, the maximum and minimum scores will probably vary by the test since the designers usually won't expect people to score that hight anyway.

Another issue is that IQ tests are norm-based. It would be hard to tell who had the highest IQ of all time because the IQ score depends on the raw scores of other people who existed at the same time.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JR:
Some of the best "tests" on the web are the ones at Spark.com. Unfortunately they now require a free registration.

My score:
89% Untelligent!
(blah, blah)....Finally, the subject displayed a great (and somewhat perverted) sense of humor, a nearly satanic lack of morality, and a arrogant and inflated self-confidence. The balance of these three traits is important; high levels of confidence, medium levels of morality, and a good level of humor make for the strongest individuals."

Gotcha beat. Last time I took it, prior to this newfangled registration jobbie, I hit a 96%. Zeus was hibernating!

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, at $8.99 a bucket:
quote:
Originally posted by JR:

My score:
89% Untelligent!

Gotcha beat. Last time I took it, prior to this newfangled registration jobbie, I hit a 96%. Zeus was hibernating!
And I beat you by 1%! Nee-ner nee-ner [Razz] jk!

I would hope there is little veracity to these tests as I, according to Spark.com, am a MAN!
quote:
15% more male than you — 5% like you — 80% more female than you
How do we know? Well, deep down, your gender affects everything about you, from your favorite number to your views on Canada. Many men who took the test think and act just like you, as you can see from the graph above.
Statistically speaking, you are a man—whether you know it or not.

[Eek!] A man? I am the least mannish person I know! I own a lingerie business for NFBSK's sake (and subsequently, a dresser full of frilly stuff)! I keep my cosmetics in a TRAIN case, cannot back into a parking space and am elated that there will be no NHL this year.
All women hate sports. [fish]

Nol *ducks* ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rotten little boys

[/QUOTE] [Eek!] A man? I am the least mannish person I know! I own a lingerie business for NFBSK's sake (and subsequently, a dresser full of frilly stuff)! I keep my cosmetics in a TRAIN case, cannot back into a parking space and am elated that there will be no NHL this year.
All women hate sports. [fish]

Nol *ducks* ly [/QB][/QUOTE]

I love NHL. So does this mean I am no longer a woman?
*looking under skirt* Then what do I with *THAT* now? [Eek!]

Kivrin

Icon 101 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And I don't like any sports!

*unzips trousers* Sweet jumping mother of God, what happened!?

Back on topic, I took the Tickle test and it gave me a 193 IQ. Which is horrendously wrong.

I did take several tests when I was young though. I took the standard IQ test when I was 6 and scored a 160--although I can't remember if that was raw or accounting for deviations.

So, for all intents and purposes, I'm a frickin' genius!

Yeah, a genius who can't do his taxes right or simple trig. [Roll Eyes]

Baikal
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baikal   E-mail Baikal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I half-wonder how much the scores are inflated simply to make people feel better about themselves; it's not like there's real consequence if a website gave everybody +10% of what might be a reasonable assessment so as not to tick off potential customers.

But, I've had the worthlessness of IQ tests drilled into my head, so I may be a little overly sceptical.

quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K
There are (probably apocryphal) tales of people with IQs well into the 200s, including one man who learned 40 languages my the time he died for amusement [emphasis mine]

I know what you meant, but I admit my first thought upon reading that was, "dang, and I thought my hobbies were weird." Hell of a way to pass the time, though. So to speak.

-Baikal

--------------------
I'm just a typical American boy from a typical American town.

Posts: 1463 | From: CU, Boulder Campus | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rotten little boys

I have done on-line test and they give me about the same score as when I have taken these same test given by profesionals.

So either I am an idiot or they tend to be fairly accurate. Only fairly so as they are not profesionaly adminstered or graded.

I.Q. tests generaly test for ability to comprhend and ability to reason in very narrow parameters. They do not test for talents such as sock knitting or whisteling or bringing forth Bob, the Viking Pirate.

HazyCosmicJive
The First USA Noel

Icon 98 posted      Profile for HazyCosmicJive     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
That had nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to make my post longer. I figured you guys just skim through the topics and judge the worthfulness of each post by how long and correctly punctuated it is. I could be writing any rubbish in here and I doubt anyone would notice, just so long as I exited with an intelligent relevant point...

Oh my god, that was the funniest thing I've read in a very long time. [lol]

--------------------
Suddenly she realizes that amongst a crazy drunken schoolmarm, a navy swim instructor with a food fetish, a southern hick farmer, a porn star turned used car dealer, and a horny ex-football player, she won't be this strange outsider.

Posts: 701 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages