snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » Mythological creature: anyone know what it is?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mythological creature: anyone know what it is?
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a long time ago I read about this mythological creature that supposedly was 96 MILES tall and had a smaller creature that sat on its shoulder or somthing. Does anyone know what this creature is? I seem to remember its name started with an H

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd wait just a bit, Barns and No Bull is sure to know this one. [Smile]

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a Christian sect called the Mandaeans who apparently believes they were founded by a revelation given by a 96 mile tall angel:

quote:
D Chwolson, who studied the Sabians, said the Mandaeans were Elchasaites who came from North Parthia at the end of the first century. The revelation by the angel to the holy man sounds much like the original revelation of Zoroaster, so perhaps the town of Serae is a memory of this, and the tale is a rehash of Zoroaster's revelation. So the background story is simply that an angel (96 miles tall!) gave a holy man the revelation just like Zoroaster, and he passed it to a baptist sect, thence it came to Rome. Al-Nadim says the Sabians of the marshes took Al-Hasih as their founder.
The Google search shows up another page referring to a hollow-earth sect that thought Jesus was 96 miles tall, but the server refuses permission to look at it.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
double post

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of this, but a quick google gets me this page, much the same as Richard's but a few more details along the way:

quote:
In a fragment of the book of Elchasai preserved by Hippolytus, it was taught among Christians that the Holy Spirit had the form of a woman ninety-six miles tall. An equivalent Jewish teaching encountered in the Holy Zohar of Safed describes the Shekhinah as a giantess whose feet reach down into Sheol, whose head is crowned by the Moon; & from between her legs issues her son, Metatron, a warlike archangel himself a giant, even though he is dwarfed by the Shekhinah, Mother of Angels.
and this page:

quote:
...The contents of the book had been revealed by an angel ninety-six miles high, sixteen miles broad, and twenty-four across the shoulders, whose footprints were fourteen miles long and four miles wide by two miles deep. This was the Son of God, and He was accompanied by His Sister, the Holy Ghost, of the same dimensions.
and this page:

quote:
...the "primal man" of the Elcesaites, was also, according to the conception of these Jewish Gnostics, of huge dimensions; viz., ninety-six miles in height and ninety-four miles in breadth; being originally androgynous, and then cleft in two, the masculine part becoming the Messiah, and the feminine part the Holy Ghost.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages