snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » Castrati (A Bit NFBSK) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Castrati (A Bit NFBSK)
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kushiel's kidney:
Just have to throw in my recommendation for 'Cry to Heaven' - wonderful read, my favorite of Anne Rice's.

I was going to say the same thing. If you are at all interested in the castrati it is an amazing book.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Filberta Cashew:
I did a little poking around the 'net myself after looking at this thread. Now this is disturbing.

I have to say that I am amazed nobody called this poster onto the carpet! The first link that is so VERY graphic is wrong on several levels... or at least VERY highly suspect.

To just use bands to do a castrations in a human would lead to sepsis at the very least, and there would have to be some flavor of surgery to close off the inguenal canal/sphincter as well or there would be horrific chances of a hernia from hell.

Secondly, the emasculation that was described would be a sign of a master surgeon as well. To completely re-route the urethra to under where the scrotum was... this ain't sumpthin' you could be doing in your basement.

In my opinion, this was a very good work of S&M fiction by somebody with a high-school education in medicine. I don't believe any part of it... my BS meter is pegged.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:
Just have to throw in my recommendation for 'Cry to Heaven' - wonderful read, my favorite of Anne Rice's.

I was going to say the same thing. If you are at all interested in the castrati it is an amazing book.
Ditto on Cry To Heaven. A great book, written in the days when Anne Rice didn't suck.

Horse "and I don't mean suck like a vampire" Chestnut

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost on Toast:
Oh boy am I ever going to make myself look stupid right now, but castration - I thought that was just the removal of the *ahem* lower two bits of that area and not the *umm* main instrument.

Becasue if the main *umm* part was still there, a man could not reproduce but could have intercourse so why let him guard the ladies? Unless the desire wasn't there...

Now I feel dumb....but anyone?

{ETA: Just looked at that website. Ouch. Glad I ate a while ago and not recently....}

It's hard to get much real information about what happens to someone after being castrated. It seems something that isn't researched that much, and most of what you find on the web is from fetish sites and the like (and we know how reliable those are). The link posted by Filberta Cashew is this kind of story, so I'm skeptical of it as well.

From my understanding, someone who has been castrated before puberty will never mature and can never have intercourse. However, if it happens after puberty, the person may still have erections, although the sex drive is diminished and sex can become more difficult. Keep in mind that testosterone is produced in other parts of the body as well. Of course, even if he can have sex, he can't reproduce.

By the way, castration refers to the removal of the testicles and sometimes the scrotum. Penectomy refers to the removal of the penis. Nullification refers to the removal of everything.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a story of one Castrato who was capable of ...erm... performing masculine duties. I believe the name was Farinelli.

However, the whole idea of castrating people for something as minor as a singing voice makes me cringe...

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 16 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, proving a circle:
However, the whole idea of castrating people for something as minor as a singing voice makes me cringe...

And cross your legs, I imagine. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:

After some thought I decided to put up a warning. This book contains graphic depictions of love/sex between men. If that is something that disturbs you, you probably shouldn't read this book.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to third - fourth, or whatever, the recomendation for "Cry to Heaven." It is truly a wonderful book even if a little high on ewwww meter when it comes to graphic sex of any kind. At least in this fictional account of the lives of the Castrati they are having a lot more sex then one might assume.

I don't think Anne Rice could ever really "suck" her prose is transcendental; even when she is describing something ugly or gross the words are beautiful. Though, I will agree she has written a couple of stinkers as far as plot goes. [Wink]

P&LL, Syl'didn't like "Violin" much'vanz

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ebony Silence
Santa Claus Is Coming to Frown

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Silence   E-mail Ebony Silence   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The castrati were actually prized lovers because the couldn't reproduce. They were the pop-stars of their day and, if successful, became very rich.

--------------------
Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

Posts: 76 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Silence:
The castrati were actually prized lovers because the couldn't reproduce. They were the pop-stars of their day and, if successful, became very rich.

They also couldn't get an erection being castrated, so as far as their sex life is concerned they could only act as consultants. In theory they might have known what to do, but in practice they could only talk about it.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FourKitties:

"The castrated boys--even those who could sing--were taunted mercilessly for being "freaks." If they turned out to be inferior singers, the musical institutions kicked them out. And where could they go? Now they were an embarrassment to their parents and ostracized by the community.
Four Kitties

My late mother was a voice teacher, and I remember an article from the National Association of Teachers of Singing about the castrati. It said that boys who, after the operation, did not have enough musical talent for a top-flight operatic career were NOT just kicked out to starve. They could usually find a place in a church choir, if only in a parish church or provincial cathedral; even if they had not enough talent for that, the music schools also offered a good general education, and the church would find some sort of administrative/clerical job for them.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I did say that my "source" was questionable!

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ebony Silence
Santa Claus Is Coming to Frown

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Silence   E-mail Ebony Silence   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
They also couldn't get an erection being castrated, so as far as their sex life is concerned they could only act as consultants. In theory they might have known what to do, but in practice they could only talk about it.

They were not fully castrated. Only the testicles were removed. It is possible to get an erection with this form of castration. This should not be confused with the the Eunuchs who had everything removed.

--------------------
Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

Posts: 76 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This should not be confused with the the Eunuchs who had everything removed.

You're thinking of nullification. Eunuch were only castrated and many harem woman prefer eunuchs because they could perform better.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is this where we insert [Big Grin] the idea of sex involving more than an erect penis?

If they were thought safe by husbands and consorts because of castration, then they could gain eough access to enguage in any activity a female may pay for or wish from them. [Embarrassed]

Of course, the husband/consort would usually be perterbed by even this...espcially if publically known. [Mad]

So, disgression was still a watch word even if little feet wouldn't be created. [Wink]

Of course the whole idea of eunuchs was almost completely seperate from a sexual harem concept. They were mainly used as servants to the ruler, not as guards of his women.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MikeFunnyHAHApants
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I would recommend a documentary called "American Eunuch". It's about men who have voluntarily been castrated. One man did it himself with rubberbands and a sharp knife. Of course he immediately went to the hospital.
He is also not shy about it. He appears nude throughout the documentary. It's creepy seeing a rod without the tackle. He also talks about his ability with concentration and medication to achieve an erection.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ledfeather
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Ledfeather   E-mail Ledfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The closest we will ever get to hear what a castarati sounded like may be some one that has hypogonadism. There is a great jazz singer named Jimmy Scott that has Kallmann's Syndrome and never took a any hormone replacement treatment, creating a very unique voice. Here is a website that has a article and a sample of his music Jimmy Scott.

Maybe closer to a true castarati is David Solomons' sound another person with KS who does more of a classical sound David's site

Hope these links work I am still iffy on http stuff.

Ledfeather

--------------------
There is absolutely no evidence that life is meant to be taken serious.

Posts: 29 | From: Washington | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Only the testicles were removed.

Which happens to be the definition of castration: the removal of the gonads. This also means that they had no sex drive.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Only the testicles were removed.

Which happens to be the definition of castration: the removal of the gonads. This also means that they had no sex drive.
That depends. The adrenal glands also produce testosterone, although not as much, but in some people more than others. Hence, although the sex drive was not as strong as in an intact man they probably felt some.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages