snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » Did Hitler's mother almost do the right thing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Hitler's mother almost do the right thing?
Cymoro
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Before Adolf was born, his mother was considering to have an abortion. Bad move the the doctor made, convincing her out of it. [Thwack]

Cy"What could have been prevented?"moro

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OuijiDoll- Disposable Girlfriend

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dont know if the abortion thing is true, but im sure if Hitler didnt exist, things would have happened anyway. He wasnt the only one who felt that way about jews, all it took was the motivation and charisma.
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet that one never turns up in an anti-abortion glurge...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Revtim

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got that glurge once that says how Beethoven's mom almost aborted him, and I did a reply-all pointing out that it would have been a good thing if Hitler's mom aborted. I wonder if this obvious response to the Beethoven glurge started this Hitler rumor/UL.
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
:: puts hand hesitantly in the air ::

Uh... 'scuse me, but can I ask a question?

Aren't these 'facts' a little ... um... misleading?

Doesn't it make the assumption that Beethoven's mom knew her son was going to grow up to be a famous classical composer? For all she knew he wouldn't have lived beyond his 12th birthday or grown up to be a chicken farmer.

No, we wouldn't have the 9th Symphony as we know it... but that is looking at it from the perspective that we know it exists already. If he simply hadn't been born, how does one miss something that probably wouldn't exist?

Would Hitler's mom seriously have even gotten pregnant if she knew her son was going to turn out the way he did?

It probably wouldn've been better if the idea had been "You never know what your son/daughter may grow up to be" and left it at that.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Guinastasia

Well, if Clausenwager's mother had had an abortion we wouldn't have had the Waltz of the Flamingos or the Symphony in A, #8....

Oh wait, I guess she DID have an abortion!

JK Will

I don't think it was his birth that was the problem, it was his development...
Stephie

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea Hitlers development , like the traumatic death of his mother, is one of the things that led him to a life of hate and all that. to get back to the hitlers jewish grandpa, i heard that his hate was caused by a jewish art professor telling him his paintings were no good. I dont know if its true its probably not but that would be a reason to blame his hate on the development and path that his life took.

By the way, I'm new !!! :-)!

Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no!

HItler's antipathy towards Jews was caused by his being outsmarted in the classroom by Ludwig Wittgenstein.

You dummies!

Embra "Class war"

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eowyn's Gold Toes

Roald Dahl wrote a short story about this that was almost frightening when I read it. Unfortunately I don't know if it was based in truth at all... the story went that a woman in Germany was pregnant, and she had lost all her previous children to miscarriage and to disease. Her doctor and husband both wanted her to abort, because they were afraid this attempt would kill her or devastate her. But she insists on having the child, and wouldn't you know it, it's the only one of her children that lives, and he grows up to be Hitler.

It's called "Genesis and Catastrophe"...

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/shortstories/gene.php

Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn's Gold Toes:
Roald Dahl wrote a short story about this that was almost frightening when I read it. Unfortunately I don't know if it was based in truth at all...

(...)

it's the only one of her children that lives, and he grows up to be Hitler.

It's called "Genesis and Catastrophe"...

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/shortstories/gene.php

It cannot be based on fact, since Hitler had siblings.

Luís Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eowyn's Gold Toes

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Adolf Hitler was born on April 20, 1889, the fourth child of Alois Schickelgruber and Klara Hitler in the Austrian town of Braunau. Two of his siblings died from diphtheria when they were children, and one died shortly after birth. Alois was a customs official, illegitimate by birth, who was described by his housemaid as a "very strict but comfortable" man. Young Adolf was showered with love and affection by his mother.
When Adolf was three years old, the family moved to Passau, along the Inn River on the German side of the border. A brother, Edmond, was born two years later. The family moved once more in 1895 to the farm community of Hafeld, 30 miles southwest of Linz. Another sister, Paula, was born in 1896, the sixth of the union, supplemented by a half brother and half sister from one of his father's two previous marriages.

from this website

so... it is possible...

Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel obligated to bring up the other Hitler story I know of-The Boys From Brazil , in which the development is most significant. For example, things like the death of his father are implied to have led to his development, and so forth.

So...is it true? Did she nearly have an abortion?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eowyn's Gold Toes

Other than that short story, and a few internet circulated "random fact" lists, I can't find reference to the rumor anywhere.

And trying to find anything via search engine is pretty useless, as Hitler is used in so many abortion arguments on either side- what you end up with is an infinite number of raging pro-life sites that all bring up "hitler" and the holocaust in their arguments.

So your guess is as good as mine (though my bet is that people might think it's true just because it's on one of those "fact lists"... those things are pervasive, and almost everyone I know INSISTS that people swallow or inhale 13 spiders a year)

Paulantir

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I ever heard this legend, it was part of a longer piece by Paul Harvey. He, in his usual, roundabout way, talked about two women in dire straits and a family way who discussed with their physicians whether or not to have an abortion. Both decided against it.

One was the mother of Leonardo Davinci. The other was the mother of Hitler.

Whether or not that really is the "rest of the story," at least it's fairly balanced.

Paul "not Harvey" Unwin

Tom Wootton

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no way of knowing whether Klara Hitler contemplated aborting Adolf before the latter's birth. Klara was an Austrian Catholic and certainly would have had difficulty obtaining an abortion if that had been her choice. Rural Catholic girls frequently became pregnant out of wedlock, moreover, but the practice was to 'send them away' until delivery and put the child up for adoption.

Tom

Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm resurrecting this thread because a recent one on the same topic was closed.

According to several German websites (I couldn't find an English one), abortion was illegal and punished with jail under paragraph 144 of the Austrian Penal Code, in force from 1852 until the German occupation of Austria in 1938.

Judging from that, I very much doubt that the "devout Roman Catholic"[1] Klara Hitler would have considered an illegal abortion during her pregnancy with Adolf in 1888/1889.

Don Enrico

[1] Smith, Bradley F. Adolf Hitler: His Family, Childhood and Youth Hoover Institute, 1967

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages