snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Did Daily Mail Founder Promise "a Daily Hate"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Daily Mail Founder Promise "a Daily Hate"?
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the London Guardian, 12 June 2002, columnist Polly Toynbee wrote:

quote:
Historians underestimate the degree to which the strange nature of the British press has warped the course of events of the last Tory century. Beaverbrook's brute power and Northcliffe's promise to give his Daily Mail readers "a daily hate" set the tone for a politically distorted press, bent against every Labour government.
The Northcliffe in question is clearly Alfred Harmsworth, later Lord Northcliffe (1865-1922). And my question is whether he really promised to give Daily Mail readers a "Daily Hate."

Reasons to believe in the quote:

-- Polly Toynbee repeated it in this 26 March 2004 column

-- The Guardian is one of Britain's more accurate newspapers.

-- Northcliffe sometimes liked to say the unconventional

Reasons to think the man is misquoted:

-- The quote appears to me not to be found prior to to Polly Toynbee's 2002 column.

-- The quote is found often on the internet, but never with any more context or any source noted other than, sometimes, Polly Toynbee.

-- The "daily hate" is sometimes used as a nickname for the Daily Mail, providing a plausible basis for how the false quote could have gotten started.

-- There are other striking Northcliffe quotes in books of quotations, so why not this one?

By the way, he probably did say this stuff:

quote:
Journalism: A profession whose business it is to explain to others what it personally does not understand.

When I want a peerage, I shall buy one like an honest man.

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is the Guardian seemingly always perceived as a paper of virtue??

It's a rag like all the others

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as a quibble, it's not the "London Guardian." It's just "The Guardian." It used to be the "Manchester Guardian," but that ended several years go.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just done a Google search on "Lord Northcliffe daily hate," I would say that the charge that Northcliffe said it is probably not true. Many sources attribute the "daily hate" quote to Northcliffe, a few give Toynbee as a source, but none that I saw actually say where the quote was originally given.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did discover some interesting things about Northcliffe and the Daily Mail.

Northcliffe disliked Britain's World War I War Minister, Lord Kitchener, intensely and wrote a blistering attack on him in May 1915. Kitchener was considered a national hero, and overnight the paper's circulation dropped from 1,386,000 to 238,000. Members of the Stock Exchange ceremonially burned unsold copies and launched a boycott against the paper. Prime Minister Asquith accused the paper of being disloyal to the country. When Kitchener died the Daily Mail reported it as a great stroke of luck for the British Empire.

In 1924 the Daily Mail published the forged Zinoviev Letter which indicated that British Communists were planning violent Revolution. It was widely believed that this was a significant factor in the defeat of Ramsay MacDonald's Labour Party in the 1924 general election, held four days later.

For a time in the early 1930s Northcliffe's successor, Lord Rothermere, and the Daily Mail were sympathetic to some degree to Sir Oswald Mosley and the British Union of Fascists. Rothermere wrote an article, "Hurrah for the Blackshirts," in January 1934, in which he praised Mosley for his "sound, commonsense, Conservative doctrine", though after the violence of the 1934 Olympia meeting involving the BUF the Daily Mail withdrew its support.

The paper also published articles lamenting the number of German Jews entering Britain as refugees after the rise of Nazism. This anti-immigrant stance has continued to the present day.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages