snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » MacArthur at Japanese surrender

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MacArthur at Japanese surrender
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard this story the other day and was wondering if it was
true. I tried to verify it by looking up references to it on Google, but
have not had any luck:

When the emissary of the Empire of Japan came to the table set on the deck
of a United States battleship in Tokyo Harbor to sign the documents that
would end World War II, he extended his hand to Gen. Douglas McArthur.
McArthur didn't reciprocate. Instead, he said, "Your sword first, please
sir." Only when the Japanese admiral laid his sword on the table would
McArthur shake hands.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The website of the USS Missouri answers the question of whether or not any swords were brought onboard the ship during the formal surrender ceremony.

quote:
No, at least there is no record of that. The Japanese delegation came aboard without swords. About a week prior, swords from the Japanese advance team were confiscated with they boarded in Sagami Wan. We can't say for sure what happened to those swords.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this ceremony on the Discovery Channel recently, and it was noticable how low-key the Japanese dress was. Several had plain business suits, and the military had very few medals or decorations. No swords were evident.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages