snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » U.S. Grant banned Jews from the South?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U.S. Grant banned Jews from the South?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I came across this on the web "1] On December 17, 1862, General
Ulysses Grant wrote to the Assistant Adjutant General of the US Army:

"I have long since believed that in spite of all the vigilance that can be
infused into post commanders, the specie regulations of the Treasury
Department have been violated, and that mostly by the Jews and other
unprincipled traders. So well satisfied have I been of this that I
instructed the commanding officer at Columbus to refuse all permits to
Jews to come South, and I have frequently had them expelled from the
department. But they come in with their carpet-sacks in spite of all that
can be done to prevent it. The Jews seem to be a privileged class that can
travel anywhere. They will land at any woodyard on the river and make
their way through the country. If not permitted to buy cotton themselves,
they will act as agents for someone else, who will be at a military post
with a Treasury permit to receive cotton and pay for it in Treasury notes
which the Jew will buy at an agreed rate, paying gold."

Also, on December 17, 1862, General Ulysses S. Grant issued General Orders
No. 11. This order banished all Jews from Tennessee's western military.

General Orders No. 11 declared: "1. The Jews, as a class, violating every
regulation of trade established by the Treasury Department, are hereby
expelled from the Department.

"2. Within 24 hours from the receipt of this order by Post Commanders,
they will see that all of this class of people are furnished with passes
required to leave, and anyone returning after such notification, will be
arrested and held in confinement until an opportunity occurs of sending
them out as prisoners, unless furnished with permits from these
headquarters.

"3. No permits will be given these people to visit headquarters for the
purpose of making personal application for trade permits.

"By order of Major Gen. Grant."

Seems fishy.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not fishy at all, I'm afraid. James McPherson, in his book on the Civil War "Battle Cry of Freedom", mentions the December 17, 1862 resolution and quotes it as above, "The Jews, as a class, violating every regulation of trade established by the Treasury Department, are hereby expelled from the Department." Whether the rest of it reads exactly as above I can't say, but it seems likely.

Lincoln rescinded the order.

Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Grant would have expelled everybody if he could have gotten away with it. Great General, Horible Biggot.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly don't wish to defend the action, but this burst of anti-Semitism lasted only a few weeks. He was actually relieved that Lincoln rescinded the order, and when he mentioned the incident later it was with regret. After Congress critised him for it, he admitted that it was well-deserved criticism. He doesn't seem to have shown prejudice against Jews at any other period of his life.
Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC Grant's family had been implicated in war profiteering shortly before the order was issued. Most historians have read the order as either an attempt to project his own family's faults onto a group held in contempt by many Americans, or more cynically as an attempt to shift the public's focus away from his own family. Although Grant was more Republican than most West Pointers on the issue of emancipation, he had an early association with Know Nothings and sometimes indicated a mistrust of what he considered foreign elements.

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages