snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » "I've no time to waste on fools"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I've no time to waste on fools"
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 202 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have a rumor for you. It's a historical one. When Cornelius
Vanderbilt (the famous railroad tycoon) was asked for funding by a private
inventor for an air brake on trains, Vanderbilt replied in a letter, "I've
no time to waste on fools." After the rejection, the inventor eventually
gained funding from another source. His invention made millions and soon,
Vanderbilt sent a letter asking to see the new invention. The inventor replied, "I've no time to waste on fools."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You'll enjoy this article. No time to cross ref it's veracity but it seems like an accurate portrait of Westinghouse, who is doubtless the intended source of this supposed latent comeback.

As for the quotation - well, it certainly seems attributed given what i've looked at - but don't quote me on that [Wink]

Again, a nice wee read if you've got a few minutes.

http://www.fee.org/vnews.php?nid=5195

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages