snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » "We are the president" -- Hillary Rodham Clinton

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "We are the president" -- Hillary Rodham Clinton
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though that quotation, which cropped up in another conversation around here today, appears all over the web, details about the circumstances in which Hillary Rodham Clinton is said to have uttered this seem rather sparse.

Here's an example of how it's commonly presented,

quote:
I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president." -- Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents
Now, to whom and in what context was Hillary Rodham Clinton to have stated this?

Does James B. Stewart, author of Blood Sport: The President and His Adversaries, serve as the earliest (and perhaps only) source for this utterance? Or have I missed something?

What I do know is that in April, 1996 -- soon after his book was published -- Stewart mentioned in an interview with a Chicago Tribune staff writer that,

quote:
[a]t one point, Hillary refused to turn over certain [Whitewater] documents saying, "I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our personal papers. We are the president." [1]

Does anyone know where Stewart got this information? Is there an elaboration in Blood Sport itself?

-- Bonnie

[1] Cheryl Lavin, "On the Record," The Chicago Tribune; 28 April 1996; Pg. 3

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do remember they ran on a platform of the "Blue-Light Special" meant to be reminiscent of K-mart - "two-for-one", and even "co-presidents" etc. He installed her in what, the next office? Right alongside Gore? It not only wouldn't be surprising to have heard her say "we are the president" it would have actually been redundant.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never thought it was about him... I always thought that it was her overpowering ego that "promoted" her to the rank of Co-President.

I have also been known to be wrong in the past - and may well be wrong as to the reasons for her comment as well.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know whether she ever said it or not, but I'd have to agree with Shades of Pale. Clinton was very open about considering her a partner in his endeavors throughout his first campaign, and it would appear not to have bothered many (if any) of us who voted for him. Thirteen years later, I've still never heard anyone actually complain about the "co-presidents" thing except people who disliked Bill Clinton because of his politics. Also, it's not at all unusual to refer to one's place of business the way she did (or might have done), i.e. "we are a discount chain," "we are a private school," etc.

-Ramblin' "I still have my 'Hillary's husband for president' bumper sticker" Dave

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 99 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely done, Dave. I was trying to figure out how to respond to this and you done did it.

Ali "a strong, independent, intelligent woman - no wonder some people hated her" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think everyone agrees that -- for right or wrong, good or bad -- Hillary Rodham Clinton had a very active role in her husband's presidency. So, let's set aside for a moment the issue of whether Mrs. Clinton may have maintained, was very likely to have maintained, or had every reason to have maintained, "We are the President."

The question remains, why is a statement now so widely attributed to the former First Lady accompanied by so little detail on her presumed delivery of it?

Bonnie "we are not amused" Taylor

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say it's probably because she didn't actually say it. I don't know that she didn't say it but that is my guess as to why there is so little "detail" accompanying it.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point. My own contribution above was intended as a justification in the event that she did say it, but I have no idea whether or not she actually did.

Like I always say when my Republican friends start whining about things she supposedly did or said: Hillary Clinton has probably had more lies told about her than any other living American. So it's always good to be skeptical unless you have proof that she really did say it. (And even then, "proof" can be tampered with, as that notorious 1994 "Frontline" quote of hers shows.)

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages