snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » GWB: Wicca is not a real religion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GWB: Wicca is not a real religion
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 215 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Ok, so it's not "new" but I am curious to know if you can find
out anything on a claim that (then) Gov George W Bush stated on national
television news (supposedly ABC News)that Wicca is not a real religion.
The info I've found thus far says June 1999; I thought I narrowed it down
to June 23 1999. However, that is because that is the only date that comes
up in the transcripts for ABC news. I purchased the transcript and it
wasn't really anything and Bush wasn't even mentioned. Somebody somewhere
should be able to confirm or deny with certainty.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 84 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep.

In response to the recognition of Wicca asa religion by the military:

quote:
"I don't think that witchcraft is a religion. I wish the military would rethink this decision."
-- George W. Bush to ABCNEWS, June, 1999

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does posting back the original quote, in a more vague form, on the authority of a random website for atheists, actually trump somebody who's tried to find out the exact date on which this was meant to have happened, obtained and gone through the transcripts themselves, and says it's not in there on that date?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Peggy Wehmeyer was the religion correspondent for ABC news at the time;

President Bush has stated his opinion on Wicca and the military more than just on ABC News;

And the date might also be wrong, so I don't see why the article posted on my link isn't accurate.

Also, don't forget that any other website has just as much authority as this one. I don't consider Positive Atheism any more or less accurate than what's posted here, nor do I consider it just some 'random website for atheists'. I provided a second source for the Bush quote, that's all.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so it may have been the 24th June rather than the 23rd - that's definite information...

Sorry to offer useless criticism rather than actually do any work myself. I think I'm in "managerial" mode. But it has spurred you to uncover some new facts! Now I want a complete report on my desk by Friday lunchtime!

(edit) I should also admit that I hadn't even clicked on your link when I wrote my post above. Ignore me - I'm in a bad mood.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages