snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » MacArthur warns of alien invasion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MacArthur warns of alien invasion
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 22 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Here's a rumor that is new to me, but maybe not to you. Is it true?

Type in "The next war will be an interplanetary war Macarthur" into Google
and you will see a great number of quack sites claiming that Douglas
MacArthur told a graduating group of cadets at West Point that "The
nations of the world will have to unite, for the next war will be
an interplanetary war. The nations of the earth must someday make a common
front against attack by people from other planets."

I find that pretty weird. Even weirder is that I can't find a legitimate
site that says whether the statement is true, or even a legitimate site
that acknowledges the existence of the alleged statement.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 22 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did find this post on alt.alien.visitors by David Rudiak who states it appeared in the New York Times on 8 October 1955 and not in a speech at West Point:
quote:
It's a real story from the Oct. 8, 1955 (Not Oct. 9) New York Times, page 7. The comments about MacArthur's opinions came from Mayor Achille Lauro of Naples, after he met with MacArthur at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York.

---------------------

MacArthur Greets Mayor of Naples

-- Lauro Quotes Him as Saying Wars Between Nations Are Now Obsolete

Mayor Achille Lauro of Naples, which was badly damaged in World War II, called on General of the Army Douglas MacArthur yesterday and received the general's cheering opinion that war between countries on this earth was probably obsolete.

However, war between the planets may replace it, in the general's opinion, Mayor Lauro reported afterward.

However, I looked at Mr. Rudiak's other posts and he is most definitely a UFO believer and not a skeptic. In fact, he believes (or believed) in the Roswell nonsense despite how thoroughly that has been discredited. So, I don't know if this claim that it appeared in the New York Times is any more accurate.
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Even weirder is that I can't find a legitimate
site that says whether the statement is true, or even a legitimate site
that acknowledges the existence of the alleged statement.

Same here. I could only find the quote on saucerhead sites.
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 303 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrianB:
I did find this post on alt.alien.visitors by David Rudiak who states it appeared in the New York Times on 8 October 1955 and not in a speech at West Point:

I searched the New York Times and it does appear that there was an article like the one Mr. Rudiak quotes from:
quote:
Document types: article
ISSN/ISBN: 03624331
Text Word Count 529
Document URL:

Abstract (Document Summary)

Mayor Achille Lauro of Naples, which was badly damaged in World War II, called on General of the Army Douglas MacArthur yesterday and received the general's cheering opinion that war between countries on this earth was probably obsolete.

What is more interesting is that whoever wrote the claim quoted in the OP seems to have confabulated that incident in 1955 with a speech MacArthur made at West Point in 1962:
quote:
We deal now, not with things of this world alone, but with the illimitable distances and as yet unfathomed mysteries of the universe. We are reaching out for a new and boundless frontier. We speak in strange terms of harnessing the cosmic energy, of making winds and tides work for us, of creating unheard of synthetic materials to supplement or even replace our old standard basics; to purify sea water for our drink; of mining ocean floors for new fields of wealth and food; of disease preventatives to expand life into the hundred of years; of controlling the weather for a more equitable distribution of heat and cold, of rain and shine; of spaceships to the moon; of the primary target in war, no longer limited to the armed forces of an enemy, but instead to include his civil populations; of ultimate conflict between a united human race and the sinister forces of some other planetary galaxy; of such dreams and fantasies as to make life the most exciting of all times.
Brian
ETA: Aha! I found the following quote on The Spectator dated 2 April 2005 where the two events are combined:
quote:
In October 1955 General Douglas MacArthur told the cadets of West Point: 'The next war will be an interplanetary war. The nations of the earth must someday make a common front against attack by people from other planets.'
A search on Usenet shows that this article has been heavily forwarded.

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First Amongst Daves
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Amongst Daves   Author's Homepage   E-mail First Amongst Daves   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarthur was an odd man, so the quote, if true, isn't too surprising.

--------------------
Dave's boards:

incandescent

Posts: 255 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages