snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Pope's Last Words... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pope's Last Words...
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit
quote:
The amount of religious intolerance in this thread is ridiculous.

I spell God with an 'o', but if Dogwater wants to leave it out (and this is a pretty common practice), why make a big deal out of it?

We've got people here who are into swords and chainmail, others who are strict vegans, still others who believe that their god lives in the center of the moon and only comes out on the fourth of July (OK so I made that last one up). I've never seen these people ridiculed, yet someone types 'G-d' and everyone thinks its something to talk about?

Jeez people, get a little tolerance.

-Tim

I hardly think it's religious intolerance. Some of us are confused by someone taking a word that stands for the Name of the Lord and making up another name - that's the whole point of the word God. For us to use because we cannot know the true Name. Why abbreviate an abbreviation? It's hardly intolerance though.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hope you were being light hearted with your post Tim. This is a board where we question everything. Even innocuous things like G-d.

And just because my god lives in the moon and only comes out on the 4th of July for the fireworks doesn't mean he wants to be public knowledge!

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E=kMCm2:
And just because my god lives in the moon and only comes out on the 4th of July for the fireworks doesn't mean he wants to be public knowledge!

Didn't you get the memo? He's a she now.

Next meeting scheduled for Thursday, usual time & place. Your turn to bring the turnips, my turn to bring the barometer!

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I really hope you were being light hearted with your post Tim. This is a board where we question everything. Even innocuous things like G-d.

I don't see how calling one's religioius beliefs "ridiculous" is merely asking questions.

The original question "why do you do that" was just fine. Many of the follow-ups, though, basically said "you're really stupid to be doing that".

People might think I'm really stupid for taking Holy Communion, or being a Christian in general, or heck, even mowing my lawn the way I do -- but in my humble opinion calling someone "ridiculous" or their beliefs "ridiculous" is not the way to have an intelligent dialog.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 215 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
quote:

I don't see how calling one's religioius beliefs "ridiculous" is merely asking questions.

The original question "why do you do that" was just fine. Many of the follow-ups, though, basically said "you're really stupid to be doing that".

People might think I'm really stupid for taking Holy Communion, or being a Christian in general, or heck, even mowing my lawn the way I do -- but in my humble opinion calling someone "ridiculous" or their beliefs "ridiculous" is not the way to have an intelligent dialog.

-Tim

quote:
Originally posted by The Eyeball Kid: It's completely ridiculous to use another name for something so that you don't actually *name* the other one with it's proper name, then abreviate the second name for the same reason you didn't name the first one.
quote:
Origianlly Posted by Dogwater: In fact, from Dictionary.Com "Deserving or inspiring ridicule; absurd , preposterous, or silly
No one called any person ridiculous here, Look at the whole sentence again, The Eyeball Kid seems to be of the opinion that calling God "G-d" was absurd. He never said Dogwater's beliefs were ridiculous. Just the practice of abbreviating an abbreviation. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I don't care if you take communion, I don't even care if you have been through the entire RCIA program. Telling people to be tolerant without respecting their opinions on the same subject is ridiculous*.

4K, I'm bringing rhubarb this time, just because the goddess wants change in her sacrifices from time to time.

*see definition above.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't change on short notice like that! Where am I supposed to get a grand piano?

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bring yer Casio Keyboard, she might not notice!

--------------------

the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit
snip...We've got people here who are into swords and chainmail, others who are strict vegans, still others .....I've never seen these people ridiculed, yet someone types 'G-d' and everyone thinks its something to talk about?

Well, sure, it's been a while since any of these topics came up.

[trying NOT to be patronising to the newcomer]
but - there have certainly been threads where we've probed into the psyche of these chainmaille-wearing-sword-swinging-vegetarian-pagan-crossdressing-pCm-librarian-polyamorists*, in great depth. We're curious people. We ask questions. And then we comment on the answers and go off on tangents, and, well, that's how it's done here.
There HAVE been well loved snopesters who have left the boards after becoming, in a sense, a 'poster-child' for whatever less common quirk they owned up to - so I'm not saying we always do it nicely, or know when to stop...but....this is that kind of a board.

We're not picking on you, we're INTERESTED in why you do something. It's a kind of a bassackwards compliment. If I were you I'd try to see it as such, and not take it personally.
When it's personal - you'll know [Big Grin]

Marrya

*not all in the same thread. nor person!

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a couple of clarifications--

-first of all I don't do the subject in question (type 'God' as 'G-d' so I'm not taking it personally.

-Second of all, I don't care how you define "ridiculous", I feel it's inappropirate to call someone's beliefs (be it religious or otherwise) riduculous, or absurd, for that matter.

-Thirdly, there are a lot of religious beliefs (be they Christian, Judean, Buddist, Muslim, Pagan, or whatever) that might be considered 'odd' or 'redundant' by those outside of the belief system. I don't 'get' why Catholics can't eat meat on Friday's in lent. I don't 'get' why Hindu's think cows are sacred. I don't 'get' why athiests can't find God. However, I stop short of poking fun at these beliefs, and certainly stop short of calling them "absurd" or "ridiculous".

Like has been said over and over -- this is a place to ask questions. That's wonderful -- but let's keep it civil, and let's refrain from ridiculing other's beliefs -- particularly when said beliefs represent the doctrine of an established system followed by many.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 215 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
Just a couple of clarifications--

-first of all I don't do the subject in question (type 'God' as 'G-d' so I'm not taking it personally.

-Second of all, I don't care how you define "ridiculous", I feel it's inappropirate to call someone's beliefs (be it religious or otherwise) riduculous, or absurd, for that matter.

-Thirdly, there are a lot of religious beliefs (be they Christian, Judean, Buddist, Muslim, Pagan, or whatever) that might be considered 'odd' or 'redundant' by those outside of the belief system. I don't 'get' why Catholics can't eat meat on Friday's in lent. I don't 'get' why Hindu's think cows are sacred. I don't 'get' why athiests can't find God. However, I stop short of poking fun at these beliefs, and certainly stop short of calling them "absurd" or "ridiculous".

Like has been said over and over -- this is a place to ask questions. That's wonderful -- but let's keep it civil, and let's refrain from ridiculing other's beliefs -- particularly when said beliefs represent the doctrine of an established system followed by many.

-Tim

quote:
To quote myself: No one called any person ridiculous here, Look at the whole sentence again, The Eyeball Kid seems to be of the opinion that calling God "G-d" was absurd. He never said Dogwater's beliefs were ridiculous. Just the practice of abbreviating an abbreviation. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.
Notice the bold. Without making sweeping generalities I think it would be safe to say that almost everyone on this board respects the fact that others have beliefs, regardless of what they are. But to call someone intolerant because they expressed their opinion about an abbreviation of an abbreviation, THAT is ridiculous.

--------------------

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
To quote myself: No one called any person ridiculous here, Look at the whole sentence again, The Eyeball Kid seems to be of the opinion that calling God "G-d" was absurd. He never said Dogwater's beliefs were ridiculous. [/QB]

I think you missed my point. Dogwater appears to believe that abbreviating 'God' is a form of reverance. This "belief", as you yourself agree, was called "ridiculous" (the word "absurd" was not introduced until after my original post).

To restate -- I don't find it appropriate to call someone's beliefs ridiculous.

Here's an alternative thought: Perhaps some feel the name of God (Abba, Eloheim, whatever you want to call Him) is so sacred, that it requires a double abbreviation? I have no idea if this is the reason for the practice, but it's certainly a plausible theory. It's not like Dogwater invented the practice of doing this so I don't see why he's getting such a hard time about it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here-- I'm not trying to sound overly passionate. I even used humor in my original reply (about the god in the moon). I'd just like to think someone can express their feelings and beliefs here without feeling like someone is going to jump on them.

Thanks for listening [Big Grin]

-Tim

Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been doing some thinking (always a dangerous gamble on my part [Smile] ). I think Rehcsif Mit has rightly picked up on what really got me about this conversation. The use of the word ridiculous seemed to refer to the way I do something out of reverence...maybe simply out of habit from youth. Whether or not it was all meant that way, or simply that the writing was less clear than the authors hoped, I do not know. Truthfully, I was offended, but, like I said, I don't know if that was the intention.

Nonetheless, like I said, I was thinking. More so, I asked an aquaintance of mine who happens to be more learned in Jewish religion and culture. He believes that the practice of writing G-d is to show an awarnessthat one should not write out the Name. No, it's not needed, but done as more of a reminder to oneself to be reverent in all situations.

I like that idea.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToddLB
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am pretty sure his last words were:

"I just saved a bunch of money on insurance by switching to Geiko"

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petre
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petre   E-mail petre       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
His last words were, "I now go with G-d".

Those assembled were amazed. They'd seen it written that way before, but never pronounced that way [Wink]

I wonder if G-d get's used often enough, if it will also achieve the status of a "name of Him" and some will start writing G--, --d, Go-, ~od...Gee oh dee...

Posts: 257 | From: In front of a computer | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages