snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » John Lennon quote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Lennon quote
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In this thread, it was mentioned that some people bought French wine for the sole purpose of dumping it in the sink. The sheer stupidity of this reminded me of a quote John Lennon supposedly uttered about the bonfires of Beatles records in the US: "that's fine by me, in order to burn them they had to buy them first" or something like that.

However, as I googled to find the exact wording, I have been unable to find a single source confirming this. Am I just misremembering? Can anyone find a source?

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't locate that particular quote, but the fantasy writer Mercedes Lackey offered this to people who find her books objectionable: "Please feel free to buy and burn as many as you like. Bulk discounts are available."

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there is a scene in The Rutles (Eric Idle's mockumentary of The Beatles) in which Eric, the narrator, observes that:

"Many fans burnt their albums. Many more burnt their fingers, attempting to burn their albums. Albums sales skyrocketed - people were buying them just to burn them".

Heh.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
why did they burn them? is it because they claimed they were "bigger than Jesus" Or was there another reason??
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The sheer stupidity of this reminded me of a quote John Lennon supposedly uttered about the bonfires of Beatles records in the US: "that's fine by me, in order to burn them they had to buy them first" or something like that.
That doesn't sound like something he would have said, at least not at the time. After the "Jesus" furor broke (in mid-1966), he was very careful about what he said regarding religion and protests against the Beatles. If he ever said this, he either said it much later in life or as a private, off-the-record comment.

My favorite Beatle quote dates from the same period: When the Beatles returned home from the debacle in the Philippines and a reporter asked them what they were going to do next, George replied, "We're going to rest up before we go and get beaten up by Americans."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Jesus quote actually lost a lot of meaning in it's release to the public in the media's colorful way of expressing things.

It was actually a statement based off a public appearance the Beatles did across from a rather large church on a Sunday morning. John noted the church was fairly empty and made a tongue in cheek comment that the Beatles were more popular than God.

Considering the negativity the press was fishing for to prove the "evils" of Rock and Roll, it was twisted to intend that he claimed that they were over all more popular than God. Something he later clarified but wasn't widely spread, of course.

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 203 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
George replied, "We're going to rest up before we go and get beaten up by Americans."
George was a bit of a wise ass. During a press conference, a reporter asked what they'd like to be doing in the future. George replied "I'd like to hear John sing on key."

As far as the OP, I seriously doubt that John said anything like that. At the time John uttered the "Jesus" line, most teenagers had at least one Beatles album in their possession. Most people who actually did engage in "album burning", I believe, would have had the albums already and would have just burned the ones they have. I doubt most people would have rushed out to buy an album for the express purpose of destroying it.

Also, I think most of the destruction was more of smashing them - vinyl tends to make rather a mess when burned.

I expect the "Meet the Ruttles" line is what the author in the OP was probably thinking of.

Ali "no facts, just blather" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
George was a bit of a wise ass. During a press conference, a reporter asked what they'd like to be doing in the future. George replied "I'd like to hear John sing on key."
And when George Martin asked them to tell him if they had any problems with him. George said "Well for starters, there's your tie."

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was actually a statement based off a public appearance the Beatles did across from a rather large church on a Sunday morning. John noted the church was fairly empty and made a tongue in cheek comment that the Beatles were more popular than God.
Umm, no, it had nothing to do with that. It came from a single paragraph of an 4 March 1966 article Maureen Cleave wrote for the London Evening Standard after interviewing John:

quote:
Experience has sown few seeds of doubt in him: not that his mind is closed, but it's closed round whatever he believes at the time. 'Christianity will go,' he said. 'It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first -- rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.' He is reading extensively about religion.
- snopes
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages