snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Fetal matter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fetal matter
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NEWSWEEK reports that President Bush, appearing before a right-to-life rally in Tampa, Florida on June 17, stated: "We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."

The audience listened in disbelief as the President repeated his error at least a dozen times, before realizing that he had used the word 'feces" when he meant to say "fetus."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And upon realizing his error, the President could be heard to mutter, "Oh, baby."

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes, found any source yet? Google only turned up someone else quoting the same thing but no actual link to a Newsweek article...
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse, Into the Fryer:
And upon realizing his error, the President could be heard to mutter, "Oh, baby."

Now, that's funny! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me a bit of an anecdote recently told by Edmund Morris in "The Unknowable," his rather remarkable profile of Ronald Reagan, in the June 28th issue of The New Yorker (pp. 40-51), though -- in Reagan's case -- the tables are turned,

quote:
Perhaps the best of Reagan's one-liners came after he attended his last ceremonial dinner, with the Knights of Malta in New York City on January 13, 1989. The evening's m.c., a prominent lay Catholic, was rendered so emotional by the wine that he waved aside protocol and followed the President's speech with a rather slurry one of his own. It was to the effect that Ronald Reagan, a defender of the rights of the unborn, knew that all human beings began life as "feces." The speaker cited Cardinal John O'Connor (sitting aghast nearby) as "a fece" who had gone on to greater things. "You, too, Mr. President -- you were once a fece!"

En route back to Washington on Air Force One, Reagan twinkingly joined his aides in the main cabin. "Well," he said, "that's the first time I've flown to New York in formal attire to be told I was a piece of shit." [p. 50]

Bonnie "Executive Ordure" Taylor

By the way, Bush was in Tampa on June 16, from about 10:30 to 1:30, to give a speech at Mcdill Air Force Base; this had to do with military service in Iraq. The following day, the 17th, he was back in D.C. for a cabinet meeting, then on to Spokane, Washington, for a event having nothing to do with the pro-life movement.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/#

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone can make a mistake...but one thing about this makes me mildly suspicious: those in the pro-life movement don't like the word "fetus." It is generally considered by them to be clinical and abstract. They far prefer "unborn baby."

(Here on snopes, in a discussion some years ago, I was chastized for using the term "fetus" by a pro-life member.)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't mind me. I'm just depositing a few more variants from the Reagan era ...

From Richard Lederer's More Anguished English: an Expose of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English (1994),

quote:
[H]ow about this news report: "FECES RIGHTS. Appearing with Ronald Reagan at a New York anti-abortion gathering, Neil Bacon, chairman of N.D. Bacon Co., declared: 'Everyone who's for abortion was at one time themselves a feces. And that includes all of you out there. You were once a feces.'" [p. 140]
From Michael Shaller's Reckoning with Reagan: America and Its President in the 1980s (1994),

quote:
Shortly before the president left office, Peter Grace, who chaired the Grace Commission to recommend efficiency in government, introduced Reagan at a banquet of anti-abortion advocates. It took a man like Reagan, Grace explained, to point out the simple truth that "all living people started life as feces." When some listeners gasped, Grace repeated himself forcefully: "Yes, even you started out as feces. And now dinner is served." [p. 95]
From Dinesh D'Souza's Ronald Reagan: How an Extraordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader (1999),

quote:
Toward the end of his second term, Reagan attended a pro-life dinner at which businessman Peter Grace, who headed the Grace Commission on government waste, mistakenly spoke of the urgent need for laws that protect the life of "feces." The audience gasped, but Grace didn't catch on. "I was once a feces," he said. "You were feces." And so on. After the dinner Reagan was apologetically approached by the organizers of the dinner, who asked him whether he was embarrassed. "Oh no," he said. "But I'm afraid the feces really hit the fan tonight." [pp. 208-209]
From Stan Lee's The Best of the Worst (2000),

quote:
Appearing with Ronald Reagan at an anti-abortion event in New York, Peter Grace reminded his audience, "Everyone who's for abortion was at one time themselves a feces." [p. 174]
Bonnie "no womb for error" Taylor

[ETA: J. Peter Grace, now deceased, was at one time a Knight of Malta, which brings us back to Morris's version.]

--------------------

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, there are some folks who claim that Dubya was born out of his mother's...well, you know.... [Wink]

- Pseudo "the NFBSK hits the fan" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 209 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Of course, there are some folks who claim that Dubya was born out of his mother's...well, you know.... [Wink]

Now Sgt. Hartman's yelling at Cowboy in Full Metal Jacket can't get out of my head.

The Fourth "and he's from Texas, too" Man

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
That reminds me a bit of an anecdote recently told by Edmund Morris in "The Unknowable," his rather remarkable profile of Ronald Reagan, in the June 28th issue of The New Yorker (pp. 40-51), though -- in Reagan's case -- the tables are turned,
quote:
Perhaps the best of Reagan's one-liners came after he attended his last ceremonial dinner, with the Knights of Malta in New York City on January 13, 1989.

Well, the fact checker failed in this case: the organisation is actually called Sovereign Military Order of Malta.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
The evening's m.c., a prominent lay Catholic, was rendered so emotional by the wine that he waved aside protocol and followed the President's speech with a rather slurry one of his own.

No name for the "prominent lay Catholic"?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, the fact checker failed in this case: the organisation is actually called Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
Isn't that like objecting to the use of "G.O.P." for "Republican Party"? Especially since the link you provide states that "The Sovereign Military Order of Malta [is] often referred to as the Order of Malta or Knights of Malta" and fails to specify a need for correction.

quote:
No name for the "prominent lay Catholic"?
Morris gave none.

But it's a good bet that the Reagan biographer -- who now puts a spin on the anecdote by alleging the speaker was so tipsy that he threw caution to the wind and upended standard protocol before flinging "feces" about the room -- had heard the tale with Peter Grace's name attached to it. (And I have to wonder, for a profile on a witty, recently deceased President, is it necessary to out Grace -- a member of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta -- as the [likely, if you prefer] drunken, "feces"-speaking, prominent lay Catholic?)

Bonnie "The Great Ex-Communicator" Taylor

--------------------

Simetrical

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Simetrical, I'd like to point out that you just chowed a thread started by snopes with a link to his own page. A page this thread predates.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 506 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being. Including the spirit of Christmas!"
 -

Howdy ho, Dubya!

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the thread was started in 7/17, the page appeared on 7/19.

In case there are any out there that are click-weary...this is a false story, simply a pure fabrication, not even based on something approaching a true incident. The President did not even attend any pro-life functions in the time span referred to in the fake article, and of course, there was no such article in Newsweek.

Now a joke is one thing, but a purely made up story is just weak.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages