snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Beer is proof that God loves us

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beer is proof that God loves us
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Did Ben Franklin really say "Beer is proof that God loves us and
wants us to be happy"?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"In heaven there is no beer
that's why we drink it here
And when we're gone from here
Then our friends will be drinking all the beer!"

~Psihala
(*Now I'm gonna have that damn song in my head for the rest of the day....)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 217 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can find lots of web pages with the quote on it, but no proof that Franklin really did say it. Of course, the quote is correct, so who cares? [Wink]

Although I must say I like these quotes I stumbled across:
quote:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

--Frank Sinatra

and
quote:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools.

--Ernest Hemingway

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a T-shirt with the quote on it. It must be true: it's on the Internet AND a T-shirt!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 302 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Must be why he gave us crack too!
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A-HA! I found the entire quote. Ol' Ben wasn't into beer; it was wine.
quote:
We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it.
It's in a letter written circa 1779 while Franklin was in Paris.
On Wine
FROM THE ABBE FRANKLIN TO THE ABBE MORELLET

Text here

[edit to add picture]  -
In a typically Franklin way, he goes on to show how the Good Lord designed man for drinking
quote:
To confirm still more your piety and gratitude to Divine Providence, reflect upon the situation which it has given to the elbow. You see (Figures 1 and 2) in animals, who are intended to drink the waters that flow upon the earth, that if they have long legs, they have also a long neck, so that they can get at their drink without kneeling down. But man, who was destined to drink wine, must be able to raise the glass to his mouth. If the elbow had been placed nearer the hand (as in Figure 3), the part in advance would have been too short to bring the glass up to the mouth; and if it had been placed nearer the shoulder, (as in Figure 4) that part would have been so long that it would have carried the wine far beyond the mouth. But by the actual situation, (represented in Figure 5), we are enabled to drink at our ease, the glass going exactly to the mouth. Let us, then, with glass in hand, adore this benevolent wisdom; -- let us adore and drink!
Kathy "it's not as it abbeers" " B.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Spider in the Ointment

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even better, come to the Beer Church - look out for the wedding pitchers (!).

Or Beer Congregation Church in South West England.

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree with Ben on that point. For me, coffee is proof that God loves us.

- Pseudo "java junkie" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The One True Marc

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
I disagree with Ben on that point. For me, coffee is proof that God loves us.

- Pseudo "java junkie" Croat

Coffee to help us start the day and wine to help us forget it?

Granted, that sounds bad, but still, it's an interesting thought.

M"Praise the Lord and pass the coffee"arc

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages