snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Mark Grace calls self, teammates "old"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Grace calls self, teammates "old"
sceeva
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom told that, when asked after the world series to describe the diamondbacks team in one word, Mark Grace's answer was "old".

Anyone heard of this.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With an average age of just under 34 years, the Diamondbacks are the oldest team in the majors, IIRC.

Sara

Ursa Major

I haven't heard that particular quote, but it wouldn't surprise me. The number of aging veterans who play for Arizona has been a running joke all season

Matt Wiiliams during Spring training: "We'll just take our walkers and go down and see what we can do."

Mark Grace after the Diamondback won the NL championship: "I'd like to congratulate Mike Morgan on 52 years of major league service." (Morgan is 42)

Here's a stat that I find boggling: Randy Johnson, Greg Swindell, Bobby Wittand and Mike Morgan combine for 77 years of major league experience.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/2001/worldseries/news/2001/10/24/oldschool_diamondbacks_ap/

Ryan's Privates

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the interviews immediately after the game and Grace made some references to all the "aged" veterans on the team, but I didn't hear the exact quote you mentioned.

He also made reference to the fact that the Chicago Cubs' curse was finally broken. He is one of several fromer Cubs on the Arizona roster.

Ryan's "It's OK to get older; just don't get old" Privates

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan's Privates:
He also made reference to the fact that the Chicago Cubs' curse was finally broken. He is one of several fromer Cubs on the Arizona roster.

Ironically, this is the first year since the 1960 Pirates defeated the New York Yankees that the Ex-Cub Factor was overcome. Perhaps there is some strange synergy when the Yankees are the opposing team that negates the critical mass of three ex-Cubs infecting a Series team.

Pogue "your can't escape your cubness" Mahone

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duis Linguini

Joe Garagiola Sr. asked Grace how it felt changing from being old to being a crafty veteran. There have been lots of jokes about the d-backs age. When they won the NLCS against Atlanta, Mike Morgan dropped f-bombs on live tv, referring to himself and Greg Swindell as a bunch of old f**kers. They had brought some Geritol to the bullpen, in reference to some sportscaster making remarks about their age.

The best quote from Grace though, was when he told the audience that he wasn't good enough to play 1st base for the Cubs, but was sure good enough to play for the world champions.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages