snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Any anyone place this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any anyone place this?
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I figured if any board could help, it would be this one. Can anyone remember from where this phase comes:

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

It's driving me nuts. And my memory for these sorts of things is horrible. Thanks in advance for your help.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that's Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Spoken by Puck, who is an elf or a fairy or somethin'.

Alchemy

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Act 3, Scene 2
quote:
PUCK
Captain of our fairy band,
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be!

Kathy "passing the Bard exam" B.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much! You don't how much that was bothering me.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Terilyn
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, it's Shakespeare. I always loved that quote...I'm a rather big fan of the bard....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's the parody, spoken over a buffet lunch: Lord, what foods these morsels be!

Silas (everything is food...) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lord, what foods these morsels be!

This appears in Joy of Cooking by Rombauer & Becker in reference to sweetbreads.

Chava

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages