snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Patton and Mohammed Omar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Patton and Mohammed Omar
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone just sent me this:

Mohammed Omar, October 2001 - "The situation where we are now, there are two things: either death or victory. To those who are fighting and bombarding us, they should understand the Afghan man is a fighter willing to die for jihad."

General George S. Patton, June 1944 - "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

Neither quote had a specific date or source. Sounds fishy to me.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Patton quote is from the George C. Scott film. Whether or not Patton actually said it, I don't know.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anthony

Patton's statement is attributed to a speech he gave in May of 1944 to US troops in the UK. I have seen it in many places, but not in an "official" source, such as a scholarly military history or quotation website.

I do not doubt, however, that he either siad those exact words or words to that effect. The famous "speech" scene in Patton was a somewhat saniitized version of Patton's standard "stump" speech. Patton was a profane man and a plain talker. He really would have been out of place in today's army. But the spirit of the words were definitely his.

Another thing to remember is that many of Patton's vists to soldiers in 1944 were unofficial. Patton was the focal point of the Calais deception, one of the great military acts of deception in all time. Patton ran around England, unofficially, knowing that his presence would be picked up by the Germans. Using double agents, the Allies convinced the Germans that Patton was about to lead a massive army (1st US Army Group) in an invasion of Calais. For several days, while US, British, and Canadian troops struggled to establish a beachhead in Normandy, the Germans held a large army in Eastern France, ready to meet the "real" invasion.

Ursa Major

Here's CNN confirmation of the Omar quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/10/11/ret.taliban.leader.interview/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages