snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Did Abe LIncoln say it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Abe LIncoln say it?
Pam
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Things may come to those who wait,
but only things left by those who hustle.

--Abe Lincoln

I wonder if the word "hustle", to aggressively pursue -- customers, wealth, whatever-- was used in that sense in Lincoln's era.

Other, older meanings of "hustle" are to hurry about (in a scattered way); to prostitute or to con.

The base quote from which this seems to be derived is Longfellow's "All things come round to him who will but wait" (Bartlett's Quotations: "Tales of a Wayside Inn.") http://www.bartleby.com/100/437.52.html

Bartlett's online does not give up a Lincoln quote. Yet if you do a google search on this quote you will find it all over, and attributd to Lincoln.

I hope someone can help me out with this one
Regards,
Pam

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Hustle" in the sense of "jostle" was used in 1839, according to the Oxford English Dictionary; but in the sense of "pushing to get ahead," the first American citation is 1893. Probably not Lincoln, then.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages