snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Did JFK say this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did JFK say this?
Michelle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone verify or dispute the following? It appears on some 50 or 60 web pages, but I can't find anything that indicates that he actually said it.

Thanks.

"The high office of President has been used to foment a plot to destroy the
American's freedom, and before I leave office I must inform the citizen of his
plight."
--- John F. Kennedy at Columbia University, 10 days before his assassination

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jim B

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot disprove it. But as a JFK backer and follower I can tell you it is not typical JFK language and is a grammatical misquote if factually true.

The reference to "high office of the President" does not refer to the VP or the administration, only to the President and his staff.

It is exceedingly unlikely that JFK would have made such an accusation about a Democratic president (and the last Republican president left office 30 years earlier) and not have attracted widespread publicity at the time.

As a newspaper reporter at the time I can tell you there was no such publicity.

Further JFK would not have used the term "the American's freedom." As stated it is singular possessive and would refer to only one American. If there was no apostrophe used JFK was too much of a stylist to use the article "the" in that term.

And, finally, the term "the citizens of his plight" is also grammatically incorrect. The plural "citizens" is not used with the singular "his."

So in answer I would say the quotation is such mangled English that is is virtually certain JFK did not say it.

beastieboy

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim B:
It is exceedingly unlikely that JFK would have made such an accusation about a Democratic president (and the last Republican president left office 30 years earlier) and not have attracted widespread publicity at the time.

30 years earlier? What happened to Eisenhower? (Unless he ran as a Democrat yet chose a very conservative VP in Nixon).

Jim B

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Ike.

So easy to forget!

You don't really believe anything happened in the 50s, do you?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages