snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Oscar Wilde's grave

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oscar Wilde's grave
Nicole
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright. This may sound rather dumb, but....

I have a Madeline book in which Madeline and the other girls go to a Parisian cemetary. One of the graves is clearly marked with the name "Oscar Wilde" and contains this text:

"And alien tears will fill for him
Pity's long-broken urn,
For his mourners be outcast men,
And outcasts always mourn."

This is a beautiful quote from Wilde's famous (and quite nice) poem "The Ballad of Reading Gaol". One thing, however, vexes me. Is this actually written on Oscar's grave? A search on Find a Grave (a great site) revealed this:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1102

However, I am still unclear, even after looking at the pictures. Will someone please help me? It's just one of those little things that bugs ya.

(PS...in the pic of his grave ,notice all the lip prints on it. I hope my tombstone is covered in that many when I go!)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatOKlzmk. Tangled Up In Indigo

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it probably IS his epitaph; there's this as the last page at OSCARIANA, one of the web sites devoted to him.
Unfornunatly the "Oscar Wilde Random Quote generator in't up at the moment, but it's still a good site for anyone interested in him.

Kat "woman with a past" O'Klzmk

rufusknight

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a book, Panati's EXTRAORDINARY ENDINGS, that contains every morbid detail about Wilde's death except for what is written on his tombstone. His death was quite painfull and gross. The book list this as his last words: "Penniless, sipping Champagne; 'I an dying as I've lived: beyond my means.' Glancing around the room; 'This wallpaper is killing me; one of us has to go.' " Other details including the explosion of his puss laded body immediately following his death are listed.
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufusknight:
I have a book, Panati's EXTRAORDINARY ENDINGS

I'm so glad to know that someone else has this incredible book. When I try to explain it to people, they look at me like I'm a lunatic, but when I lend it to them I have a hard time getting it back.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicole

It is on the grave! I found this:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~androom/dead/story003.htm

fascinating! I know what my epitaths gonna be now (at the risk of being a hack)!

skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 09 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Excuse me, but "explosion of his pus laded body"???? I know I'm uninformed (or dumb) but how exactly did he die?
skrap

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The source I just found (via Ask Jeeves) says he died of meningitis.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gus

quote:
Originally posted by Nicole:
It is on the grave!

Well, you've answered your own question, but since the site you linked didn't actually show the inscription I just wanted to confirm that quote is indeed on the tombstone. I have a picture of the inscription; but I am not going to dig through my large picture collection and then hunt down a scanner (sorry).

Pere Lachaise I think is definetly worth a few hours of exploration if you're in Paris. There are many wonderful monuments and tombstones there.

Sadie

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't Oscar Wilde the best? Man, you gotta love just about everything that comes out of that guy's mouth. Seriously.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages