snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » French President defends Clinton

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: French President defends Clinton
Worker and Parasite
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember I once had a book with some political quotes in it, and one of the more distinctive ones I remember was by French President Mitterrand (or possibly Chirac).

Anyway, this quote was supposedly uttered during the height of the Clinton Sex Scandal.
It went something like:

"I don't understand what all the fuss is about adultery in America. In Europe having a mistress is seen as a status symbol, and is a proud acomplisment for men."

Obviously, I'm a bit skeptical that a G7 leader would make such a bold, obviously controversial claim.

Has anyone else heard this one / have any info?

Worker and "viva le Willy livre!" Parasite

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What would make you believe this more? If Mitterand had a longtime mistress and daughter with her, a seperate estate where he lived with her, the fact he spend more of his free time with her than his wife or that he left her and the kid (now in her late twenties) a substantial amount when he died a few years ago. How about the fact that such a mistress and child showed up and sat not too far from Mitterrand's wife at his state funeral? Well, guess what....

ross "le etat ce moi (didn't take French so don't hold me to the spelling" dawg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 09 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, thank you rossdawg! I remember when my sister was telling me in scolding tones about "what other countries must think of the United States after hearing of this most embarrassing scandal". I told her they were amazed that Americans were so puritanical that they were making a big deal over it (clearly not the answer she had expected). When she disagreed with me, I asked her how many newspapers from other countries she read on a regular basis ("Not many" was the reply). I went on to recount how Mitterand's wife and mistress were both at his funeral, and I was told "how horrible it was that the level of morality was dropping all over the world like that". I was tempted to give her Ambrose Bierce's definition of an infidel, but though better of it.

(and on the subject of quotes, anybody remember the exact wording of the quote on the flyleaf of Glory Road, which goes something like "Forgive him, for he is from another place, and mistakes his local customs for universal law"?)

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages