snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » urgent! mistake found on snopes page!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: urgent! mistake found on snopes page!!!!!!!
ElRatonVaquero
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no Quayle fan, but I am a fan of accuracy, as I believe this site is. Two quotes attributed to Dan Quayle on your website are fabrications from a Mad Magazine article titled "Future quotes of Dan Quayle".
one is: "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
the other is: "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
I don't remember the date or issue number of the magazine, although I distinctly remember reading this.
It's a shame you didn't include this quote from the article, my favorite: "People say that the Republican party has abandoned the poor. It's the other way around, they never vote for us".
On a related note, why is it we revere Yogi Bera and Casey Stengel for saying stupid things, yet revile Quayle for the same crime?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the first part of what you were saying but for the second it is quite simple. Casey Stengle was an old baseball coach who was a strategic genius. Yogi Berra was arguably the best hitting catcher and probably the winningest catcher of all time (until Mike Piazza came around, at least for the hitting part). They were funny baseball people who frequently said silly things. But neither of them were hired for their intellectual accumen and neither was a heartbeat away from running the most powerful nation on the planet. Dan Quayle unfortunately was, therefore we have this expectation that a president or his immediate replacement can appear in public without making a total boob out of himself the second he opens his trap. That is why we held Dan Quayle to a higher standard when it came to his public speaking. He represented the U.S. at all kinds of important state funerals and ground breaking ceremonies, therefore he had plenty of time to work on his public speaking, I guess it didn't work. I would rather have a VP who speaks like Dick Chaney any day of the week.
Ewok

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The scary thing is that Dubya's just a heartbeat away from running the country.
ElRatonVaquero

Good points.
Really, it's not something that bothers me, just something I thought about while I was reading that article.

bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 03 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I remembered seeing those quotes in The Dan Quayle Quiz book - which was scrupulous about documenting its sources. The one attributed 'quote' that never happened that I'm aware of is the one about him visiting Latin America and saying that he wished he had studied Latin in high school or some such.

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valee

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a rough crowd! Mea culpa - I'm the offender - I didn't know that profile material required references. I would like to clarify that the quote was not the product of the Snopes - that it came from my profile and appeared here on the message board, which the Snopes can't be held responsible for checking. Does this mean I have to go through the rites of penance? I'll dash home (barefoot, of course, across hot asphalt on the DC Beltway) and get my sackcloth, ashes, and flog-o-matic.

And my crimes get worse - I just posted an item in weird news, and THEN saw that one part of it was already posted by zenOman - guess everyone reads the Sydney Morning Herald before me.

ElRatonVaquero

I will find my old mad magazines and track down this quote.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages