snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Who said it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who said it?
PR-7
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An anecdote starts with a man asking a cultured woman if she would have sex for him for 50,000 pounds. The woman reluctantly agress. When he asks if she would do so for five pounds, she indignantly asks "What type of a woman do you think I am?" The man responds "We've pretty much settled that question, right now we're only haggling over the price."

I first had this attributed to George Bernard Shaw (and it certainly sounds like his wit), but I've also heard it attributed to Winston Churchill (which doesn't sound the least like him).

Does anyone have some definitive answer on who gave this exchange, so I can properly attribute it? It's one of my favorites.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy

I'd say Oscar Wilde, although I don't imagine him asking a woman to have sex.

--Grumpy "or maybe Hugh Grant" y

Travicvs

I disagree I belive that old Winnie may have the wool pulled over your eyes. He would nearly always make comments like that.
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it most commonly attributed to George Bernard Shaw, quite often to Sir Winston Churchill and once or twice to Groucho Marx. It's trotted out fairly routinely in economics text books. But I can't find anything authoritative on who actually said it.

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
huginn

FWIW, I've heard it most often attributed to Orson Welles.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages