snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » definition of diplomacy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: definition of diplomacy
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Noticed this item in Slate today, regarding the Senate testimony of Richard Armitage, who's been nominated to be No. 2 in the State Department:

But give Armitrage credit for one line that, if original, should get him a Bartlett's entry--his reference to diplomacy as "saying 'Nice doggy, nice doggy' until you can find a big stick."

Now, the quote definitely isn't original -- I've been seeing it in e-mail forwards for years -- but I did a search on the Web, and found it attributed to both Wynn Catlin (no idea who that is) and Will Rogers. Also, some versions had "rock" instead of "stick".

Anyone know the deal?

Frank

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's another beaut: "Diplomacy is to do and say the nastiest thing in the nicest way."

Can't remember that author either...

Silas ("nice doggie!") Sparkhammer

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually hear it this way:

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggy', until you can find a rock."

Attributed to Talleyrand, Heinlein, Will Rogers

My money's on Will Rogers

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 03-16-2001).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An old joke says that Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he'll look forward to the trip.

Pogue "Happy St. Patrick's Day" Mahone

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought diplomacy was the art of telling someone to 'go to hell' by which he looks forward to the trip

...please take all personal belongings and GET OUT!

------------------
Kamin

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages