snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Ted Turner - Did he really say this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ted Turner - Did he really say this?
Reloy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reloy   E-mail Reloy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard today that Ted Turner, CNN and Atlanta Braves owner, called members of his staff that had ashes on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday "Jesus Freaks" and told them to go work for another news station. I heard this from a generally reliable source, but if Mr. Turner-Fonda really said something so incredible stupid and bigotted, I would think it would have made the news. I watched the news this weekend and read the paper and saw nothing about it (granted, it was before I heard the story so I wasn't looking for it). So, is this a new UL?
Posts: 1 | From: Evanston, Wyoming | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anthony
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He said it. Fox News reported the story with relish (interesting it was not reported on CNN )

The Catholic League complained (Turner says so many things like this he keeps the Catholic League in business). http://www.catholicleague.org/01press_releases/pr0101.htm#DOES TED TURNER’S APOLOGY COUNT?

Turner's new bosses at AOL TW then told Ted to play nice and apologise. He did.

quote:
but if Mr. Turner-Fonda really said something so incredible stupid and bigotted

He says things like this lots. He once made a "joke" about the Pope asking if anyone ever saw a "Polish minsweaper" then bent his leg at the knee for the punch line.

Frankly, I really don't think Turner is a smart as he makes himself out to be. It is fitting that John Rocker plays on his team. They really must be a barrel of laughs when they get together.

------------------
Right Wing Conspirator 34,736,902 (Hey, it's a VAST conspiracy, right?)

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 03-12-2001).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy

Ted Turner makes himself out to be smart?

In any case, the "Polish minesweeper" wisecrack was clearly a Polish joke, and not an anti-Catholic joke. If only the Catholic Overreaction League could tell the difference.

Grump "how many Popes does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None! They're celibate!" y

domina

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domina   E-mail domina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The irony is, apparently Jane Fonda turned into something of a Jesus freak herself.

dom "sleeping with the enemy" ina

Posts: 17 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anthony

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Ted Turner makes himself out to be smart?

In any case, the "Polish minesweeper" wisecrack was clearly a Polish joke, and not an anti-Catholic joke. If only the Catholic Overreaction League could tell the difference.

It was clearly a Polish joke? [sarcasm on] Well that makes it ok I guess. [sarcasm off]

As I remember it (and remember, Turner insults people so much that I may be confusing incidents) the "joke" was in the middle of an anti-Catholic diatrabe.

As for Jane Fonda becomeing a "Jesus Freak", I have heard the rumors, received the e-mails, but nothing I have seen or heard from her since Ted cut her loose makes me think she has any more than the residual Christianity that most Americans have.

Her religious views are her business. If she wishes to be open about them, fine, if not, fine also. I will not project wishful thinking onto a few supposed utterances. (I am an atheist Catholic myself, if you want to know)

------------------

CatInHat

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny. I have always (well, for as long as they've been around) suspected that Ted Turner was behind those "God" billboards*. IIRC, someone else on these boards also voiced this suspicion. I also read in the paper (no cite, sorry) that the individual behind the billboards is a wealthy Southern businessman. This describes Turner - he has a reputation for being something of a narcissist - although it admittedly also describes hundreds of other people.

* For those of you who haven't seen them, I am referring to a series of billboards which have sprouted up, apparently all over the U.S. These billboards have pithy little sayings on them, in white letters on a black background, like "How about coming over to my house Sunday before the big game ?" and "Don't make me come down there" and "Which part of 'Thou shalt not' don't you understand" and things like that, all signed "God". Cute and funny in a way, but I find them disturbing also.

Cat"which god would you be then?"InHat

Anthony

I doubt it was Turner (although his father owned a billboard company).

Celebrity Atheists puts Truner in the "ambiguous" catagory, noting that he had been named "Humanist of the Year" http://www.celebatheists.com/entries/ted_turner.html

At most, I would place him that catagry, although I beleive he is not a member of any organized religion or a believer in the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God.

In reality, he probably is a member of a very exclusive church, the "Tedrite Church" which is devoted to the great god TED.

------------------

Aslan

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Aslan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this article about Jane Fonda and her conversion.

As'but why did they specify it as a black Baptist Church? Church is Church.'lan

[This message has been edited by Aslan (edited 03-19-2001).]

Posts: 1 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ted's comments additionally are cited for the immediate resignation of Stuart Varney from his business news show on CNN.

Muck

Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages