snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Charlie Chaplan and anti-semitism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Charlie Chaplan and anti-semitism
theangryQ
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that Chaplin's niece wasn't allowed into a public pool because of her background. In response, he said, "She's only half Jewish. What if she only goes in to her waist?" Anyond know if this is true?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theangryQ:
I've heard that Chaplin's niece wasn't allowed into a public pool because of her background. In response, he said, "She's only half Jewish. What if she only goes in to her waist?" Anyond know if this is true?

I've always heard this attributed to Groucho Marx.

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamin

I've always heard it quoted to Groucho about his son at a country club. Not sure if it was the same country club that declined him membership due to him being jewish When the club recanted, the famous "I would not be associated with a club that would have me as a member" letter was supposed sent.

------------------
Kamin

[This message has been edited by Kamin (edited 03-10-2001).]

JK Will

Couldn't she lie on her side?
Groucho

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woody Allen did a hilarious routine about a moose at a costume party. I won't try to retell the whole thing here, but in the end, a Jewish couple dressed like a moose accidentally get stuffed and mounted at a country club. The punchline is: "But the joke's on them, 'cause it's restricted!"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages