snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Stalin - counting votes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stalin - counting votes
Moire
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know anything about the quote "Its not who votes that counts, it who counts the votes". I've gotten several e-mails attributing the quote to Josef Stalin, but have not been able to verify the quote.

Thanks.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to The Explainer, probably No. But you can't prove that he didn't say it.

The more relevant quotation would be Antonin Scalia, who said, "It's not who votes, it's who prevents the votes from being counted."

--Grump "you can't prove he didn't say that, either" y

[This message has been edited by Grumpy (edited 02-08-2001).]

Fusca 1976
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fusca 1976   E-mail Fusca 1976   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grumpy:
[B]The more relevant quotation would be Antonin Scalia, who said, "It's not who votes, it's who prevents the votes from being counted."

--Grump "you can't prove he didn't say that, either" y

Antonin Scalia? Just shuffle the letters:

Conan I. Stalin

Luís "he's a barbaric communist with a middle name" Henrique

Posts: 4498 | From: Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
huginn

And Tom Stoppard said, "It's not the voting that's democracy; it's the counting." Amazing how minor variations in sentence construction can completely reverse the meaning. See this thread for a thorough discussion of this.
Moire

Thank you very much. I am on the side of those who doubt that Josef Stalin ever got close enough to a democratic election to think about counting votes, but I like the "Old Russian Sayings".

Florida - where votes count more!

Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody on this board came up with the very witty variation "In feudalism, it's your count that votes". Can anyone remember who it was? I can't find it.

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages