snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Better to to silent and thought a fool...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Better to to silent and thought a fool...
Gus
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
than to speak and remove all doubt.

Who said this? I saw it attributed to Mark Twain on another board, but I've also seen it attributed to:

Abraham Lincoln
Oscar Wilde
George Bush
Silvan Engel

Some say Lincoln was only quoting Silvan. This quote doesn't seem to me to fit Oscar Wilde's personality. Bush- let's face it, if he said it he didn't take his own advice. I can't say Twain didn't say it- but I don't know. I don't know who Silvan Engel is.

Who actually said it? (And who is Silvan Engel?) Anybody?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
huginn
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, I've always heard it attributed to Twain. It sounds like him, and I've never heard any other attribution.

hug"shoulda kept silent"inn

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You were here. You were listening.

Gus said it.

Silas ("it!") Sparkhammer

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 16 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, NO!

It was Lisa Simpson;

Lisa: Better to to silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Homer's Brain: What the hell does that mean? Quick say something clever.

Homer: Takes one to know one!

Homer's brain: Swish!

Troll "that's not how you spell 'dumbening'" face

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This Website (http://www.weeks-g.dircon.co.uk/these_you_have_sought_on_a.htm) provides the following quotations, consecutively. Could they all have been based on the last one, from Proverbs?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt . -- George Eliot

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.-- Abraham Lincoln (also attr. Confucius)

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. -- Bible, 'Proverbs' 17:28.

Frank "I got nothing to say" Holloway

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages