snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Smile when you say that, pardner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smile when you say that, pardner
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was posted to a travel message board.
quote:
"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from the
Indians. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the
Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves." -- John Wayne
Some people said that it was "well known" that John Wayne was a bigot, but no one could prove or disprove that he ever said this. Anyone care to tackle it?

Kathy "yes, I know the subject line is a misquote" B.

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I hears that Ronnie Raygun said that.
Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if either John Wayne or Ronald Regan ever said this but most people of their generation(s) believed it. This is what we were taught in school as recently as the early 1960's. It was the doctrine of Manifest Destiny, at least as it was taught to generations of Americans. We were taught that this was a good and righteous thing. We were told that God wanted this for America -- white European American, that is.

I do not believe that, if either man said this, it is an indication of a deep, personal bigotry.

Read all about Manifest Destiny. http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/osulliva.htm

Sara "times they are a changing"

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
I don't know if either John Wayne or Ronald Regan ever said this but most people of their generation(s) believed it. This is what we were taught in school as recently as the early 1960's.

You mean "the early 1980's:"

"There were a couple of fights
To win land rights
But the West was meant to be -
It was our Manifest Destiny..."

- From the Schoolhouse Rock song "Elbow Room"

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages