snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Gore anti-Christian quote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gore anti-Christian quote
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got this in my E-mail. Any truth to it?

THE NOTORIOUS QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Refusing to accept the earth as our sacred mother, these Christians
have become a dangerous threat to the survival of humanity. They are the
blight on the environment and to believe in Bible prophecy is unforgivable."

--VP Al Gore, in his book EARTH IN BALANCE, p.342

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While he might not be the brightest man on the face of the Earth, Gore would never, ever say anything that stupid. In addition, while not as bible thumping as Dubya, from all accounts Gore is sincere in hes religious beliefs. Now I'll have to look at his book and see what the real quote is. And I really have no interest in reading a politicians ideas of science.

pinqy

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
In addition, while not as bible thumping as Dubya, from all accounts Gore is sincere in hes religious beliefs.

Gasp! How dare you! Everybody knows Gore mis-spoke when referring to the bible (saying 6:13, instead of 3:16) and no REAL Christian would ever say that! Only a baby-eating Satanist Athiest would!

Tengu

------------------
Damn it!... You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats the insects and gets the funny syphilis! As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey!
- Xander, Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
While he might not be the brightest man on the face of the Earth, Gore would never, ever say anything that stupid.

The main reason I'm doubting it is that I can't believe no one's brought it up before. I mean, Dubya used quotes from "Earth in the Balance" to attack Gore, but somehow missed this one? Come on!

quote:
Now I'll have to look at his book and see what the real quote is.

Thanks. Please post it when you do.

David

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing even close to this quote appears on page 342, nor anywhere else in the book that I can find. A section touching on religions and their attitudes towards environmentalist begins on page 242, but it still doesn't include any statement close to the one cited.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mmv3000
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
a satanist athiest?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the record, Al Gore attended St. Albans School on the grounds of the National Cathedral which had mandatory chapel. When he returned from Vietnam, he attended Vaderbilt Divinity School for a time.
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/conv/180.htm

Some sources say he dropped out of, others say he flunked out. Either way, no question his grades weren't good. But he did attended after Vietnam. That indicates both an interest and knowledge in Christianity to me.

Gore, a Baptist, also attended revivals as a child and was "born again" while at Harvard.
Sources: "Running on their Faith", U.S.News and World Report, Dec. 6, 1999 http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/991206/faith.htm

I heard one Common Tater on my monitoring of MSNBC during the recent unpleasantness speculate that Gore might return to divinity school in the near future. Seemed odd to me but, unlike me, this Tater accutally knows Gore.

Sara

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theangryQ

Not true. Snopes covers it somewhere on this site, I think.

I actually read some of the book. He only talks about Christianity in a positive way. At one point, he says that his Baptist uprising helped him become an environmentalist, since it taught him that Earth was God's creation and therefore sacred or something like that.

Doc Savage

Book-A-Chow!!!!
quote:
http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/outrage/earthbal.htm

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tengu:
Satanist Athiest

I imagine such a person would be very, very confused.

Nonny

------------------
www.geocities.com/ncmcphee

Into the Fire by Norma McPhee coming any minute now from LTDBooks

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mmv3000:
a satanist athiest?

For some Fundamentalist Christians, anything not (their definition of) Christian is Satanic. It's a very black and white world they live in. I've seen essays on how Hinduism is Devil Worship, Catholicism and Latter Day Saints, and Freemasons are secretly Satan worship. And Atheists, of course promote a Satanic agenda, because honest disbelief is just not possible.

Luckily, those are a minority even among Fundamentalists. They are the strong conspiracy theorists who feel that their version of The Truth(tm) is so obvious that anyone who doesn't believe must be actively against God or seriously mislead. Jack Chick is a prime example. According to him, Catholicism is Satanic and the inner circle of the Church knows it (The Death Cookie. Islam is an invention of the Catholic Church designed to combat real Christianity (The Deceived) and on and on.

I draw a distinction between the Jack Chick active conspiracy and the more rational Fundamentalists who may believe that those who have heard the Gospel and just don't believe it are influenced by the Devil and that those who believe in other religions or very different versions of Christianity are subtley influenced by the Devil. That at least allows for honest dissent and disbelief. And a good many Fundamentalists understand and accept that honest differences and interpretations exist that are not necessarily influenced by anything.

pinqy

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OranSidhe

How much do I LOVE Jack Chick.... the man has given me endless hours, no endless DAYS of amusement!! I mean really, what else are people going to take from Chick Tracks?

-Oran "Still laughing about 'Are Roman Catholics Christians?'" Sidhe-

Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the major flaw with Christianity is their "Either you're with us or against us" mentality. Of course, those people who subscribe to this idea are few and far between. Still, if I see an ethical flaw in a religion, I'd sooner let it change my worldview than pretend it isn't important and go on believing the things I *do* like.

Of course, that's just me.

As for Gore, I know he's quite devout. Not something I was concerned with - I was part of the winning (but futile) 51 percent. It makes me wonder, though. Have we elected any non-Christians as President?

Alchemy

"Here, little girl. Have a bumper sticker."
" 'A gay president in 2084'?"
"Eh. We're realistic."

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy:
I think the major flaw with Christianity is their "Either you're with us or against us" mentality. Of course, those people who subscribe to this idea are few and far between.

As Jesus said (Matthew 12:30), "He who is not with me is against me." Of course, he also is quoted as saying, "...whoever is not against us is for us" (Mark 9:40, see also Luke 9:50). To reconcile these seemingly contradictory positions, it becomes necessary to divide the world into two camps. However, from the context of the Mark/Luke account, it seems Jesus is explicitly referring to a third camp: the indifferent.

quote:

It makes me wonder, though. Have we elected any non-Christians as President?

That's a whole topic in itself -- and mightily depends on who you consider "non-Christian." Lincoln, for example, is said to have not belonged to any church. Jefferson didn't believe in the divinty of Jesus. Washington was ostensibly a Deist -- which would rule out most Christian doctrine. It's a complex question -- though the answer is always surprising.

--Grump "for, against... just don't bug me!" y

Kate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the major flaw with Christianity is their "Either you're with us or against us" mentality.

Not confined to Christianity, though.

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dofwai

Witness the blowing up of the 2000 year old Buddha in Afghanistan.
Kamin

quote:

I think the major flaw with Christianity is their "Either you're with us or against us" mentality. [SNIP]

I agree with you Alchemy. Funny, didn't Christ say something to the opposite effect when the John complained of people casting out demons in His name who were not of their group?

quote:
Originally posted by Luke(9:49-50)as translated in the KJV of the Bible:

[49]And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name and we forbade him, because he followeth not we us. [50]And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

I'll be darned He DID say the opposite. Imagine that.

------------------
Kamin

[This message has been edited by Kamin (edited 03-19-2001).]

Grumpy

Kamin,
I already cited the Luke story, which also appears in Mark. I also pointed out that both seemingly contradict Matthew -- inasmuch as the two attitudes are diametrically opposed with respect to indifferent people.

Break it down: You are either for Jesus, against Jesus, or you don't care. Mark and Luke include the indifferent in the "for" category. Matthew includes them in the "against" category. This is why some Christians combine the two statements, and assume there is no middle ground possible.

--Grump "What a useful new smiley" y

[This message has been edited by Grumpy (edited 03-20-2001).]

Cynara

Of course some christians like these guys do have some pretty dubious ideas about the environment and those darned earth-worshiping activists.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages