snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Bryant Gumbel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bryant Gumbel
Travicvs
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard on Rotten.com(not noted for its accuracy) that Bryant Gumbel after a guest left the show he mouthed the words "what a f***ing idiot"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, he did. It was Robert H. Knight of the Family Research Council after a discussion about gays and the Boy Scouts. I couldn't find the story on rotten.com but I remember hearing about it in the "legitimate" media when it happened.

Sara

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I recall, the FRC lobbied to have Gumbel fired. Because everyone knows that it is not a journalist's place to comment on the glaringly obvious.

--"Big time" Grumpy

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few bits of verification--it happened June 29, 2000:

I like this one--it compares Gumbel and Jeff Jacoby--the guy who was fired for printing the Declaration of Independence story as his own.

Salom Magazine Bryant Gumbel: An idiot and his f-word

Here's another site, with lots of links

And another

There's plenty more--mostly commentary. Just fire up any search engine.

Kathy "Oh, the monster overbearing!" B.

(10 points if you get my internym)

------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Mike Quear, US Congressional staffer

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 12-05-2000).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
Kathy "Oh, the monster overbearing!" B.

(10 points if you get my internym)

Gilbert & Sullivan?

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrFraud:
Gilbert & Sullivan?

Yep. And the operatta was...?

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
Yep. And the operatta was...?

HMS Pinafore:

"Did you hear him--did you hear him?
Oh, the monster overbearing!
Don't go near him--don't go near him--
He is swearing--he is swearing!"

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if I can't spell "operetta", Dr. Fraud
quote:
... we are right, I think you'll say,
To argue in this kind of way;
And I am right,
And you are right,
And all is right--too-looral-lay!

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 22 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about any of these people but having read that articles linked above, my thoughts are that Bryant Gumbel was not exhibiting prejudice against Christians in general, just calling one particular one a divvy. One who was advocating homosexual prejudice.

Troll "hello Mr. Pot, I'm Mr. Kettle" face

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChaosFox

Icon 27 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Proof.
http://www.mrc.org/rm/gumbelslip/segment1.ram

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages