snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Did "Dubya" really say "Social Security is NOT a Government programme"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did "Dubya" really say "Social Security is NOT a Government programme"?
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 1 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Notwithstanding this posting being made on Election Day proper, perchance it might be worthwhile to note where "Dubya" was quoted (or so Al Gore hath it during one of the late rallies last week) as claiming that "Social Security is not a Government programme."

Which makes you wonder just what kind of stuff "Dubya" must be taking, and perhaps in camera more than anything....

------------------
Vir 'n goeie tyd, aankip hier. Ons weet wat jou hou van....

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, he said it all right, but, again, it's one of those flubs that most of us don't really consider damning. Very intelligent people sometimes suffer from "spoonerisms" and the like. (Off hand, I'd say that intelligent people suffer more than dull people from slips of speech.)

There's a L.A. talk show host, Bill Handel, who has a hilarious collection of his "Handelisms." You never know what he's going to say...and neither does he!

G.W. knows that social security is a federal program (he'd use the Texan spelling, of course.) He just fumbled it around a little.

Whose perfect? (Grin!)

Silas Sparkhammer

------------------
"...With trembling heart and failing nerve, cried, 'I approve, without reserve!'"

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 06 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I think the line in question was something like this: " ...do you think Social Security should be run like some federal program?" Not saying it WASN'T a federal program, but he probably meant "like all the OTHER federal programs". In other words, your money, bureaucratic overhead, red tape, etc. A lot of fuss over nothing... again...

I had a job interview yesterday, first in 17 years, and faced a gauntlet of 5 interviewers. I was fairly nervous, and forgot some of the questions halfway through the answers, so I can sympathize with *anybody* who gets tongue-tied and short-brained while speaking in public.

ham "eakspay owlyslay" bubba

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SaltyFreddie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During a campaign rally, shortly before the election at the College of DuPage, in Glen Ellyn, Illinois George W Bush said "Al Gore wants to run Social Security like it's some kind of program or something". Very little was made of it by the media here in Chicagoland but the film clip was shown on the local news. Spoonerism, I don't think so.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theangryQ
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://slate.msn.com/Features/bushisms/bushisms.asp

God help us.

"They misunderestimated me."

"I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children."

Although, I find that a lot of stupid Quayle quotes have been attributed to Dubya. As if the man hasn't put his foot in his mouth enough times!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages