snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » Emu legs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emu legs
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I'd only heard about this urban legend recently, but it seems
it's been going around for quite some time. It turns out there's a
rumor -- untrue, though I can't verify it -- that the smoked turkey legs
sold at Disney theme parks are not turkey at all, but rather emu legs.

If you've seen the size of these legs, you'd understand why people would
doubt that they can come from turkeys. Even though it's not true and I
know it, I'd say it's definitely worth posting.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a chance. Emu is a red meat and smells, looks and tastes nothing like turkey.

Moreover, would it not be substantially more difficult to raise emus than turkeys? Certainly in the locales Disnesques.

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WizyWyg
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WizyWyg   E-mail WizyWyg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having worked at WDW , we've heard all the "emu" rumors.

They are turkey legs, but yes, the size of them can make you question if they are or aren't.

But I though all "odd" foods would taste like chicken?

Posts: 160 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MonkeyMan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MonkeyMan   E-mail MonkeyMan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, wouldn't it actually cost more to raise emus for this? I don't know the economics, but it seems like herds of emu would be much more costly...

--------------------
Monkeys. Is there nothing they CAN'T do?

Posts: 37 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
web page on Emu meat cooking Recipes etc
quote:
Tjuringa emu meat is a palatable high quality red meat, which compared to beef has a finer texture, and two to three times higher iron content. The meat has a low fat content of less than 3% and less than 150 calories per 100gms. It is low in cholesterol with less than 50mg per 100gms. Therefore if you are looking for a healthy, nutritious, low fat meal, with a distinctive taste, Tjuringa Emu is the perfect product.

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had emu, but I have had ostrich; it tastes good, but is rather tough.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages