snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » Disneyland, Mickey Mouse and the Handicapped

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disneyland, Mickey Mouse and the Handicapped
The Dark Rider
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi there,

I've been a long time reader of Snopes but haven't really had many reasons to post. Until I saw a comedian in Melbourne, Australia (where I live). Anyway, I heard a story that I'm wondering if anyone here can shed any light on. Strap yourselves in, this is a bit of an odessey. [Smile]

The crux of the story is that this guy had met over a period of about 6 months several people who had all worked at Disneyland (I'm assuming in Anaheim). He learned from them that Disneyland apparently has a policy regarding photos with its characters (let's just say Mickey from here on in).

Essentially, there is a quiet directive for Mickey to avoid having their photo taken with handicapped children/people. This is apparently to preserve the magic of Mickey's ability to make childrens' dreams come true.

Being associated with handicapped children would highlight that Mickey is unable to make their greatest wish come true (apparently to not be handicapped). This is carried out subtly with security often ushering Mickey away from handicapped people who look like they want to have a photo taken.

I've gotta say that upon hearing that story, I was pretty much outraged, as was the rest of the audience. So I've done some research on-line.

*And here's where I illustrate my current thinking on the story*

It seems possible, given how fanatical Disney is over protecting the image of Mickey and there have been a couple of accusations of Disney discriminating against workers. However, in all the trawling of the internet I've done, there's not even been a hint of this particular accusation. Something as full on as this would surely have crept up somewhere before.

One thing I should mention at this point, is the disabled person's pass available at Disney. Even though that has now been watered down, it suggested to me that the story I heard may not be entirely legit. Of course, by law, Disney can't discriminate against the handicapped, but it seems they have gone above and beyond to make provision for all people (their controversial gay friendly policy being another example).

Of course, this is all focussed on CONSUMERS of their products (Mickey). The story I heard leans more toward Disney trying to protect the purity of Mickey (their product). They don't want the wholesome image of Mickey tainted. It's a tale of PR people gone insane trying to protect the Disney image. And it's something that the more I read, the more believable I'm starting to find it.

Has Mickey Mouse (or any other Disney character) ever been used as a logo in a gay pride march? Is Mickey Mouse ever depicted with handicapped people or indeed handicapped himself? Given Disneyland's stance on these issues, I would think they had. Can anyone here think of any such occasions?

In that vein, another thing that struck me was how well regulated Disney information on the Net is. By regulated, I mean policed and monitored by Disney. There weren't many sites I found that had Disney artwork or info that weren't in some way authorised by Disney. With other cartoon companies, all sorts of fan sites with a wide variety of screen dumps. But not so much with Disney.

Sure, there are Anti-Disney sites, but some of the more interesting ones I tried to log onto didn't appear to exist anymore. And a lot of the news stories (such as the discrimination suit against Disney) didn't have a lot of active links, which could be partly attributed to the time that has passed.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I've got to say at this point. But I'm very interested on any feedback you guys can give me, particularly anyone who has or is working at Disneyland.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

The Dark Rider

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BS. Three years ago, we were standing next to a photo area at WDW. The characters on hand were Mickey, Buzz Lightyear, and Woody. A woman approached the "handler" who spoke with the characters, then gestured to the woman to approach. She brought with her a young child who was obviously blind. The characters, one by one, stooped down and let the child "see" them, with her fingers. There was a long line of people, but no one seemed impatient at this longer-than-usual photo session. The session ended with big hugs between each of the characters and the child. The crowd got very quiet, and more than one person was wiping away tears (well, hubby and I certainly were).

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lokheed

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the Guest Assistance Pass (GAP) being watered down at Disneyland - not even remotely true. The truth is that a system that was rife with abuse was finally thrown out, and replaced with something modeled after the system at Walt Disney World. The GAP is not designed to be a front-of-line pass, which is pretty much what the previous pass was. Rather, a pass is issued that specifically addresses whatever the guest needs to allow them to enjoy the attractions equally with other guests. In most cases, for example someone in a wheelchair, the pass is not even necessary. If the main queue is not wheelchar accessible, then an alternate entrance is provided. For other disabilities there are a variety of stamps that go on the card, which provide appropriate assistance. That's not watered down, that's just addressing rampant abuse and fraud while still meeting the needs of guests with true disabilites. (Just to clarify, my son is autistic which is why I am intimately familiar with how the assistance passes work.)

Regarding photos of guests with disabilities, phooey. Not even remotely true. I was in the park yesterday and saw a guest with headgear and in a motorized wheelchair getting his picture taken with Minnie. He had a big, dopey grin on his face, too. Happiest kid on the planet.

Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, its BS. I've seen plenty of kids pretty, fat, thin, disabled, black, white, sticky, ugly getting photos with the characters. In fact the Disney parks are one of the more requested "Make A Wish" vacations and they are treated wonderfully. Also the characters don't roam as freely as they once did. Most of them have locations where they make appearances at certain times. They have people line up, rather than the old mass huddle, to see the characters. Exceptions to this would be character breakfast (but if a character misses a table I can bet you someone's ass would be on the line) and some "unscheduled" walk throughs or entertaining waiting visitors at the front gate. There are also a few occasions (often at park opening) where the characters may "spontaneously" ride the rides. Aladin flew on the magic carpet behind my son and I last time we were down at Disney World). Also at the resorts you will occasionally see surprise appearances but I've never seen discrimination.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You think any company would pass up the huge PR boost that comes from showing off how much you love disabled children?

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Dark Rider

Thanks for all your responses.

It's good to get your feedback. In particular, after having read a bit online regarding Disney (which I didn't know much about previously), I thought it was unlikely they would be actively discriminating against the handicapped. (BTW Tabby, I agree with you. But wouldn't it be the perfect way to deflect criticism to the contrary?)

I only skimmed over the GAP stuff so I wasn't entirely clear on the function of it. I have to say that I'm impressed with the consideration Disney appparently offers.

What gets me though, is there are stories floating around regarding this. The guy who was telling the tale indicated he had spoken with former staff members. Disgruntled? Maybe so. But having a few people say the same thing...

Not that I'm not willing to let go of this idea, it's just I kinda want to chase down all the possibilities. I didn't see anything that indicated an incident like this in the past. So I guess it'll just remain a malicious myth.

Which is a shame, because this guy who did the show believed the people were sincere. He made a point of getting himself photographed at Disneyland with his prosthetic foot in clear view.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

The Dark Rider

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that if deaf people visit either of the parks and want an interpreter at any of the shows, they have to notify the park in question at least two weeks in advance and say which shows and times they'll be going to. None of this is outlandish, as these are pretty much the things people have to do to secure an interpreter in the "real world".

Karin

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I know that they do flag certain cars (put actually tags on them) if a disabled individual is riding in one. It is for they are easier to spot in case of an emergency. Still it looks odd to see a big florescent banner flapping off the back of a "FastTrack" car but I understand why they do it. I think Disney actually goes above and beyond for the disabled. They also improve every year. Compare the older parks like Magic Kingdom to places like Epcot and the newer parks. Handicap accesibility is a top concern. I know this has nothing to do with character interaction but I'm still impressed by the accesibility and assistance they offer.

--------------------

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

Picture comes from the Walt Disney World Marathon.

Aranea

Edit to add: http://tripsinc.com/shop/images/105_0559.JPG_copy.jpg
A disabled person with Chip(munk)

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was once forced to spend a day on the job at Disneyland, discussing some landscaping issues with staff (they are called "cast members"). It was a tough assignment, but someone had to do it. The cast members did talk about what they called, so help me, "show quality" and how one goal was to protect the image of the Magic Kingdom as being magic. They did not want anything in the landscaping to remind people of chores waiting back home. So, for example, the lawns and flower beds are all weeded by hand daily so that no weeds appear and no spots are left from using chemicla herbicides. Don't want you to be reminded that your lawn needs work. Any plant that 's the lest bit off gets yanked out & replace dimmediately.

At the time, the park had no recycling bins. We asked about that. "Working on it" we were told, "but we have to do it in a way that doesn't get people thinking about how they have to take out the trash when they get home."

All maintenance is done at night when possible, so you don't see it happening. The park magically cleans itself. Look at some of the ponds and the water under the jungle ride. The water is a greenish brown & a bit murky. That's so you won't see any trash that gets thrown in to disturb your vision of what the park really is.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sailor Critter

I remember visiting WDW, my freshman year in HS with my best friend and her family. Said friend was gaga over Roger Rabbit at the time. So whose "Autograph" does she want first?

Not the Mouse's, that's for sure.

Somewhere along the way, the rabbit drops the pen, and being in a big bulky suit, my friend had to pick up the pen....

I realize the folks wearing the suits aren't supposed to talk, but a little thank you of some sort would have been nice.... even if it was only a pat on the head or a nod.

Just my 2 cents....

BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if your freind really wanted a thank you, maybe she should've gotten Tigger's autograph.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

quote:
Originally posted by BrainDamage:
Well, if your freind really wanted a thank you, maybe she should've gotten Tigger's autograph.

[Big Grin]

LOL!

Although seriously many of the characters have a very limited field of vision. He may not have realized who picked it up or that the pen ever actually fell. Its quite posible that he was just reaching blindly for a writting instrument and received one and was not aware of anything unusual happening in between. This seems to be a big problem for shorter children. It is posible some characters won't even be able to see that they are there.

--------------------

FiberglassPanda

Maybe I'm missing something... but didn't the OP say that they heard this whole discrimination story during a stand-up comedy show? ...Perhaps it was just a joke taken too literally?

Irrelevant, anyhow, since we've established that it's not true. Eh, I'm a bit slow today. Never mind [Wink]

NovaSS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was did some time as the "PILLSBURY DOUGH BOY" wearing the costume to events and openigs. It was a back pack with a compressor and battery pack strapped on. After you climbed in this "tent" of a costume and sealed it up the compressor would draw air from the outside to inflate. After about 5 minutes it would be 100 degrees inside because the suit couldnt breathafter it was inflatted. All during this time you had to follow strick rules of conduct. NO TALKING was number one although I was allowed to giggle. You can not see a thing, not even the people that are shaking your hand. You cant walk because the crotch was at your knees. You had to be pointed everywere. Steps were almost impossible.

It one of those things thats fun to do a couple times but to do it day in and out is not as easy as it sounds.  -

Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sleepums

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a 15 year Disney Character, I have to set a few things straight. I can only hope that everyone will spread the proper info back to the unknowing masses.
When you go through character training, this point is repeatedly driven home: as a Walt Disney World Character Performer, you will go out of your way and do whatever possible to ALWAYS make those who are handicapped feel welcome and special.
A character performer will stay on set extra time, regardless of the temerature or set-time, to make that special Disney moment. And characters will police themselves, if this particular policy is not followed. You can have no idea how difficult it would be to recover from the reputation created for yourself by shunning a wheelchair party or 'God help you' a Wish Kid. (These are terminally ill children who are brought to the parks by the Make A Wish foundation. The kid's final wish in life is to see Walt Disney World before they die.)
As a matter of fact, characters are routinely asked to stay a little after their set-time to give a little one on one with a Wish family. That way, pictures can be taken and the characters can play with the kids without the que-lines and all the pressures of pushing them through. There is no Disney character worth their salt who doesn't have some incredible Wish Kid story, if not a few dozen, that they can pull out at any given moment. Ex: I once brought a kid out of a several month coma just by stroking her hand with my Beast paw.
Character's will also volunteer at the Make a Wish Village. (It's a private little resort in Kissimee where they stay for free when they are visiting Disney. Disney actually gives free tickets to this organization for the kids and families).
I could go on about this topic, because it really makes a person nuts sometimes. Disney isn't the greatest employer, no doubt, but so many of the people who work there/here are genuinely great people who enjoy having a job where you can smile because you want to, and help people enjoy themselves with their families for a few days out of their lives
--
Thanks, I needed this.. BTW, If I get wound up enough sometime, I just may set the 'Tigger ordeal' straight with the general populace! HAHA
--
Damn, I just read some more posts.. [flame]
--
OK, our keepers are called "Greeters" and they help protect us and help us to see that which we cannot, like a dropped pen. The vision in one of these costumes is poor if not nearly impossible, and yes, my dear readers, it IS HOT!! Crazy HOT.. In the middle of summer, put on long johns-jeans-sweater-oversized boots-and a motorcycle helmet with material that goes from the bottom of the helmet and is tucked into the jacket, then put a solid visor on the helmet, cut out a 2x2 inch square hole in said visor and cover it with a painted screen (that's your vision and breathing hole). Then memorise the 'characteristics' of one of your favorite characters and pretend to be them, NEVER allowing yourself to speak in front of guests, and learn how to sign a pre-created signiture, (I've had to sign a napkin with a golf pencil and a crayon for poor kids), then do that about 70x's while posing for pictures - bending down-getting up, unable to wipe the sweat out of your face, while at the same time having a positive attitude and coming back day after day to do it again.. 20 to 30 minutes a set (depending on temerature) 6-8 times a day (depending if you have to do the parade or not)... Goodness? Why do we do it? Hmm.. Inevitably it is because people came this far, and saved up this much just to be in a horribly hot place with a family that never sees each other so that they can get a picture with their favorite character(S) and put them up on the mantle/wall/email and remember that moment when all of them where happy AS A FAMILY for that brief moment in time. That Ever-Lasting memory. And who was the one person who made it all come together? The one who dissolved the family fight over who would stand where, or got the kid to stop crying, or made Mommy and Daddy laugh? It was the character performer, without saying a single word.
-
Characters make between $6.90(1st yr) up to $12.25(6th yr) pay raises stop there, except for union cost of living raises, or as of recently, a yearly bonus of $1000-$1500 if you've been there/here over 6yrs.
I'll get off of my soapbox now, thanks for listening [Wink] Lata..

Shamrock
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Shamrock   E-mail Shamrock   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepums:
As a 15 year Disney Character,

Sleepums, thanks for the information and for the job you do.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 891 | From: New England | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamin

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepums:
Characters make between $6.90(1st yr) up to $12.25(6th yr) pay raises stop there, except for union cost of living raises, or as of recently, a yearly bonus of $1000-$1500 if you've been there/here over 6yrs.

I agree with all of what you said but to add to the above a "CT" or seasonal only makes $6.40 an hour and as of last contract starting full-time was proportedly $6.50 (at least for the first 90 days. In other words...none of us do it to make money. It's the kids, black, white, tall, small, young, old, boy, girl, healthy or sick.
We are sometimes those childrens' 'last wish' and although for most that may be true, I have had the pleasure or seeing a few of those kids many years later and they have thanked the character through me and told me how somehow "[insert character]" helped them beat death. In a few cases I have had a letter from guest relations from the parents informing us of the child's passing and how happy his or her last months(which was to have only been weeks) were that child's happiest and he or she could talk of nothing else.
Since this assumption was brought up by a comedian, I suppose it was part of a joke but believe me, there's no joke, just those kids' happiness.

Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't speak for Disney, but my daughter worked for Universal, and she is very proud that she had two opportunities to play Popeye for groups of handicapped children.

Her tall, skinny boyfriend played Olive Oyl.

Brad "boy, is that relationship confused" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sleepums and Kamin, thanks for the info...I don't think I ever realized just how much went into the character bits...it's very touching, and I commend you for doing a great job...

And you do it in Orlando in the summer...that definitely has my respect...

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sleepums

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by: Kamin
"CT" or seasonal only makes $6.40 an hour and as of last contract starting full-time was proportedly $6.50

characters are a pay code higher than average, which is $.35hr more. which would be 6.75 to 6.85, so I was close.. Regardless, it's much too small for the work they have us do. HAHAHA The union once tried to get an actual number on all the autograph books that Disney sold at the parks, so that we could ask for a percentage of that money in a contract. Disney mantains that we don't actually MAKE any money, like a t-shirt sale, and that we're sorta like 'fluff' in the scheme of things. It's a bunch of bunk, but we love our jobs and try to do things on the side to help pay the bills, or during holidays we'll stay on the clock for several days and let the mouse pay us double time for quite a few days.. [lol]
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lokheed:
I was in the park yesterday and saw a guest with headgear and in a motorized wheelchair getting his picture taken with Minnie. He had a big, dopey grin on his face, too.

And they didn't sue him for copyright infringement? (Get it? Dopey?)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a long time lurker who has never had the nerve to post here until now, but I just had to comment about this topic.

My (soon-to-be) four yr old is a Wish kid. He was diagnosed with Leukemia last fall and will be having his wish granted in July. He asked for, you guessed it, a trip to Disney World. I have been told that Disney bends over backward to make Wish kid's experience memorable. The idea that Disney would act as described in the OP is ridiculous.

But that isn't why I posted. I don't want to hijack this thread, butI wanted to correct people's perceptions of Make-A-Wish. It is not just for granting terminally ill children's dying wishes. You only need to have a serious and life-threatening illness to get a wish granted. Basically, any child with cancer can qualify, but, obviously, not all cancer is terminal. And by the time you learn that it will be terminal it might be too late to grant the wish.

Also, there is no Make-A-Wish Village. There is Give Kids the World, a resort created by an hotel magnate for seriously ill children. It is open free of charge to kids from any wish-granting organization, of which Make-A-Wish is merely the best-known of the bunch.

Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
garde

I can't speak for the Disney employees, whom I have a great deal of respect for, but I do know what the costume is like.

In my younger years, I worked for Chuck E. Cheeses Pizza Time Theater - When they were owned by Nolan Bushnell back before they were owned by showtime. I have had to make summertime "guest appearances" as Chucky, which meant hours with that suit on and it is absolutely important that you have a good assistant to help you out. Someone to give you cues when you come to a step, someone to keep kids from abusing you, and to usher you out when you are in trouble from the heat. We never allowed one of the characters to appear without an assistant who was trained to deal with the crowd in a tactful manner - usually one of the managers.

You have to maintain the image of the character you are protraying while interacting with the people you are there to entertain - and all while almost blind. You have very little vision to begin with, but once the sweat starts running into your eyes, what little vision you have is pretty much useless. I have had kids grab me, push me down, turn the head around on me - it's insane the way people allow their kids to act, and you have to stand there and just go with the flow and wonder where your assistant is. Usually it would be a group of kids that distracted the assistant one way while another got you from behind. I can't imagine being in one of those suits in the California or Florida sun for hours at a time. My hat is off to you people, and I can completely understand the whole situation with the pen. He may have even thought it was his assistant who handed it back to him because I'm sure that he was at the point of standing there opening and closing his hand until he could feel something in it.

Been there, done that...

Cash

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This message is way past its expiration date, but I have to correct something in the original post before it drives me insane:

quote:
Of course, by law, Disney can't discriminate against the handicapped, but it seems they have gone above and beyond to make provision for all people (their controversial gay friendly policy being another example).
Has Mickey Mouse (or any other Disney character) ever been used as a logo in a gay pride march?

You mean their controversial guest-friendly policy?

Disney has become inextricably linked with gay pride, thanks to the annual "Gay Day" planned by certain members of Florida's gay and lesbian community. Disney does not run Gay Day; it is organized entirely by the people attending. Ray Evans, Disney Guest Communications, said way back in '96 that ". . . we had not official dealings with the members of this group [Gay Day] and they were afforded no special privileges or considerations."

In addition, Gay Day's official website (gayday.com) says in its FAQ:

quote:
Does Disney sponsor Gay Day?

No. Disney is an "innocent victim" of circumstance. They managed to create an excellent vacation resort that appeals to almost everybody in the world, and gay and lesbian folks are no different. Because they get so much attention from all factions over Gay Day, Disney actually goes out of their way not to do things that are perceived as catering towards Gay Day...

Disney has nothing to do with Gay Day, in the same way that it has nothing to do with any other group independently organizing a visit to its park. As long as the participants of Gay Day don't break any park rules, there's really not much Disney could do even if they wanted to (at least not without having the ACLU jumping down their throats).

I'm not arguing that Disney has any specific stance on homosexuality, save that the corporation (wisely) feels it ought to treat every group that walks in the same way, regardless of whether it's a scouting convention or a pride march. The notion that Disney supports gay pride simply because it is host to Gay Day is illogical at best and, when one considers that some people will and do change their impression of Disney based on this misunderstanding, has the potential to be quite damaging to the company's reputation. My mother, for one, was thouroughly convinced that this was true, and as she's not the most liberal of lasses it made her completely go off Disney.

Of course, all of this would be a nonissue if we didn't insist on sexuality being such a controversial and generally polarizing issue. But, until such a time as we can collectively perform a much-needed recto-cranial inversion, we're stuck defending those who suffer the hideous and debilitating accusation of supporting gays.

In any case, I felt the need to correct you, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled musing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages