snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » Pocahontas made to "appeal to adult males" and more (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pocahontas made to "appeal to adult males" and more
Thief Leaf
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this site that even has more "Disney secrets" most of them are on snopes, proven true or otherwise, but other ones arn't.

one that I found most intresting is this:

quote:
The New York Times commented that the Pocahontas character was an "animated Playboy Centerfold that has no place in a children's movie". Disney said she was designed to "appeal to the adult male". Why adult males need to be appealed to in a children's animation? Are adult males now masturbating to Disney animations? Did Playboy increase their prices or something?
Did I miss something here...are they trying to compeat with animé or something? So Is this true? Were they really aiming for the adult males? Or is Pocahontas just one of those Female characters in disny movies that guys just like for some reson?

But the way the guy stated it it has to be true. Or at lest it sounds true.

Thief "Painting with all the colors of the" Leaf

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only reason I ever heard that Pokey was made to look like an adult woman was to make her relationship with John Smith less creepy - history makes her about 13 when they met.

As for looking like a centerfold, I wouldn't put it that far. I thought she looked rather striking, but I didn't find anything outwardly "sexed up" about her.

Then again, I'm a female.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Disney said she was designed to "appeal to the adult male".
I'd file this under, "Well duh!" Like Tinkerbell wasn't. But what exactly is wrong with that?

And I find this comment outright offensive:
quote:
Are adult males now masturbating to Disney animations?
Yeah, that's right. And the hunky Disney heroes are making adult females experience intensive orgasms right there in the theatre.

NFBSK!

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hi, my name is Paul Unwin

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as an adult male, Pocahontas isn't nearly as physically attractive as Ariel, or even Mulan, if I may say so. On the other hand, Ariel always struck me as pretty vapid.

Seems obvious to me that the studio would want to make sure that the movie was appealing, at least on some level, to fathers and husbands/boyfriends who play some part in deciding what movie to see with their children and wives/girlfriends. I get more out of a movie's humor and action, but a good-looking lead don't hurt nobody. I don't see why children's shows can't have attractive people in them. And where's the outrage about the hunky males?

In short, it's probably true, but so what?

Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, but here's another one:
quote:
For the voice of chief Powhatan, Pocahontas' father, Disney hired Native American Activist Russell Means. Means led a group of armed activists in the occupation of Wounded Knee in 1973. Two people died and twelve were wounded. 1200 people were arrested. Means once gave a speech entitled "For America to Live, Europeans Must Die" It's constantly amazing how no one remembers their deep personal convictions when money is involved.
I would say that Russell Means has paid his dues in full. What a jerk this guy is. And half his complaints apply to the old fairy tales.

Why is this guy pissing me off so much? Usually I let this kind of stuff go right by, but somehow tonight I'm railing against this stuff.

Sorry.

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schizm

Yeah, well Pocohantas does have that whole leather thing going.
And that's another thing that bothered me about that flick. You'd think that of all of her furry talking animal friends one of them might have said, "Hey! Isn't that Bambi's Mom she's wearing? Let's not wait around for winter. She might be needing a pair of ear muffs."

Maya and Simone

quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
As for looking like a centerfold, I wouldn't put it that far. I thought she looked rather striking, but I didn't find anything outwardly "sexed up" about her.

At least they didn't go the role that Dr. Aki Ross of FF:TSW did...
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
The only reason I ever heard that Pokey was made to look like an adult woman was to make her relationship with John Smith less creepy - history makes her about 13 when they met.

A physical description I read somewhere (dammit, I can't recall where) of Pocahontas called her "an unattractive, overweight teenager that was probably raped by John Smith."

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminati-atrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminati-atrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I had the article handy but I remember reading somewhere that Pocahontas was made a physically attractive girl in her late teens to make a romance with John Smith believable for the movie. I hadn't seen the article since nor have I ever seen the movie (just a preview here and there) so I can't give an opinion past that. [Wink]
Posts: 1198 | From: in the cyberlab . . . | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StarlandVocalBand

Pocahontas grew up to be an attractive woman; she was actually 10 or 11 years old, not 13, in 1607 (when John Smith encountered the Powhatan Nation).

So she was neither the Native American Barbie of the Disney movie or an "unattractive, overweight teenager". As for her being "raped by John Smith", that seems unlikely--John Smith was an idiot, but it's hard to imagine anyone being stupid enough to rape a powerful chief's 10 year old daughter (and harder to imagine him getting away with it).

Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pocahontas? Blech! She's ugly.

The whole movie is ugly, now that I think about it.

But I digress.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my hourly hug to that life-size Nani cardboard cut-out...

ETA: And here's what they find *shocking* in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?":
quote:
In "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Daffy and Donald have a piano duel, Daffy is seen to sprout an erection during the scene.
I guess it's quite obvious that the female in that movie was not "made to appeal to adult male!" [lol]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CynthiaAnn4900

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know that Pocahontas was designed to appeal to young males, but she was certainly drawn to reflect 20th century beauty ideals. In fact, I never thought that she even looked native american. Her features where too soft and round, rather angular which you might see in a full blood Indian. And that nose was definitely not Indian. Cindy
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 88 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CynthiaAnn4900:
And that nose was definitely not Indian. Cindy

What nose? All I saw on the posters was two small holes. [Confused]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me cynical, but since he's also got a rather large page dedicated to chemtrails, well, that just sets off my BS meter...
Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She grew up to be an attractive woman? In my history book she looked like a man! But, that's probably my 20th century beauty ideals talking... well, I hafta run..... it's Thursday, so that means it's plastic surgery day!

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 214 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
[QB] Pocahontas? Blech! She's ugly.

ETA: And here's what they find *shocking* in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?": In "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Daffy and Donald have a piano duel, Daffy is seen to sprout an erection during the scene.

And Donald calls Daffy a "stupid nigger"... uh, nitwit... actually power of suggestion does make it sound like the nastier n-word...
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's something I read several years ago in the American Family Association's JOURNAL concerning the movie POCAHONTAS:

Pocahontas was presented a trying to convert Capt. John Smith to the Native American religion. In one scene she tells Smith that spirits dwell in inanimate objects like the tree she hugs. The film tries to make Christianity look bad and Native American spirituality look good. The film's premise here is to proselytize Christians to Native American beliefs.

Actually, history tells us that Pocahontas converted to Christianity. There is no evidence that she ever had a romance with John Smith. Later, as a young woman, she married John Rolfe.

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These are the same people who get the goofy teen-giggles when they perform the "cut and fold" on the Land-O-Lakes butter box.

The Disney movie "Pocahontas" was not historically accurate; I know for a fact that the raccoons spoke Spanish, not English, until 1723.

ham " [Roll Eyes] " bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As an adult female, I can say for certain I found John Smith to be pretty darn attractive by today's standards. But even better was his sidekick (Thomas?) because I recognized his voice right away as Christian Bale. errrow [Wink]

Seriously, though, why is the beautification of an animated character in the transfer from real life to film any different than in normal movies? For instance, the real Erin Brockovitch is a very attractive woman who is probably about a size 10. In the movies, she was played by a size 2 actress. Pretty movie stars (real or animated) representing real people are a dime a dozen.

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd read somewhere that Pocahontas was actually equivalent to a prostitute and that historians reinvented her as a romantic character. Can anyone shed any light on this?

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maya and Simone

quote:
Originally posted by lilcupid:
Seriously, though, why is the beautification of an animated character in the transfer from real life to film any different than in normal movies? For instance, the real Erin Brockovitch is a very attractive woman who is probably about a size 10. In the movies, she was played by a size 2 actress. Pretty movie stars (real or animated) representing real people are a dime a dozen.

Another way Hollywood distorts the facts and history to suit their ever-growing agenda.
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maya and Simone:
quote:
Originally posted by lilcupid:

Another way Hollywood distorts the facts and history to suit their ever-growing agenda.
Devil's Advocate:

I'd say that the "Pocohontas" cartoon was obviously not meant to be an accurate description of history, once you consider the talking animals. And what is wrong with having an agenda, whatever it is?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd say that the "Pocohontas" cartoon was obviously not meant to be an accurate description of history, once you consider the talking animals. And what is wrong with having an agenda, whatever it is?
There are no talking animals in Pocahontas.

There *is* a weird shape-shifting and moving tree with the face of a grandma, "mystical" inspiration that allows people to instantly learn new languages, all around blue and pink hallucinations whenever a little smoke raises, but there are no talking animals. [Razz]

If you want to see distortion... At the end, Snow White is supposed to get married and invite the witch to her wedding, then force her to wear iron shoes so hot they turn white and make her dance with them to her death. And the Dwarves should allow Snow White to stay with them only if she will cook for them and clean the house, Snow White is not supposed to decide to do that on her own. [Razz]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mistake - now that I think about it the animals did not talk.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Ah, now that blows all your "obviously not meant as an accurate depiction of history" theory out the window, doesn't it?

*does the victory dance*

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hambubba, eater of the FDDoD:
These are the same people who get the goofy teen-giggles when they perform the "cut and fold" on the Land-O-Lakes butter box.

I still get the giggles when I do that...

Then there was the woman who portrayed Pocohontas in the Disneyland Main Street Parade. Her nickname was "Poke Her Hot Ass." (I'm not making this up, you know!)

Silas

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StarlandVocalBand

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
I'd read somewhere that Pocahontas was actually equivalent to a prostitute

Nope. She was pre-pubescent at the time of the John Smith incident, and was the daughter of a powerful tribal chieftain.

She was abducted and forced into marriage with an Englishman, though.

Avu
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In fact, I never thought that she even looked native american. Her features where too soft and round, rather angular which you might see in a full blood Indian. And that nose was definitely not Indian. Cindy

Disney's Pocahantas was modeled after Irene Bedard, the Native actress who voiced the part. You can see some pictures of her at this fansite:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Agency/6393/irene.htm

Posts: 64 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zapruder American Style

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently there are animation fetishists out there.

I inadvertantly stumbled upon the "Disney Sluts" website which portray recent female characters (Ariel, Mulan, Belle, etc.) as porn stars.

It was disturbing even for my tastes. I didn't go much further down the rabbit hole to see what it was all about.

This means there is definitely a market for "sexy characters". However, the statement from the woman behind the Anomolies-Unlimited Website seem to me to be more opinion than anything else on this issue. I've read her site before, and I think she's a bit more Weekly World News "tongue-in-cheek" rather than a serious urban legend debunker.

Kokopelli

Icon 96 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zapruder American Style:
Apparently there are animation fetishists out there.

Japan has entire industries dedicated to them.
Oualawouzou

quote:
Japan has entire industries dedicated to them.
Nowadays, it's far from being limited to Japan. And erotic parodies of cartoons are far from something new: there were erotic "cartoons" as early as 200 years ago, and the advent of popular, easily recognizable characters simply shifted part of the focus from "generic" characters to well-known ones.

Welcome to the Internet, Zapruder, where all your conceptions of what is "normal" shall be put to test. [Razz]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avu:
quote:
In fact, I never thought that she even looked native american. Her features where too soft and round, rather angular which you might see in a full blood Indian. And that nose was definitely not Indian. Cindy

Disney's Pocahantas was modeled after Irene Bedard, the Native actress who voiced the part. You can see some pictures of her at this fansite:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Agency/6393/irene.htm

I remember hearing somewhere that she was modelled on Naomi Campbell.

Just as Aladin was modelled on Tom Cruise.

Holly

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what is going on is the attempt to "keep it real".

For the longest time, our female 'leads' in movies were "cartoonish" like Olive Oyl, Minnie and Daisy Duck. Now, the pendulum is swinging the other way.

After "go-betweens" like Tink, and Cinderella with her Princess ilk, now we are pushing for "realism" in our pretend heroes. Pocahontas was modeled after a well built REAL live woman.

I am not into amime or drawn porn, but _I_ found Pocahontas well built. It was all in the mannerisms that they drew in there that I found attractive.

Just my three centavos (inflation, doncha know!)

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest I did feel a bit awkward when the Pocahontes trailer came on when my dad took my sister and I to see the Lion King when it was re-released.
It was my 3rd most awkward movie watching moment. My first most was waching Interview with the Vampire with my dad. It's just weird watching movies with naked or nearly naked women with my own dad.

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tallon Roe

I guess I just never thought of Pocahontas that way, or any other Disney gal. Certainly the movies themselves were appealing and so were the characters... just not in a sexual way. Something can be pleasing to the eye without being a turn-on.

-T.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages