snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » More Disney deaths

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Disney deaths
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Last Week (26APR02) two deaths occured on Walt Disney World. One a man
drowned in the Seven Seas Lagoon ( the big lake in front of the Magic Kingdom).
Another was an employee who jumped/fell from te top of the Contemporary Hotel.
The Drowning can be confirmed throught the Orlando Sentinel but the fall might
be harder to verify. I think both of these would be hard to not be declared on
Disney property.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I checked the Orlando Sentinel homepage and didn't find anything about a drowning. Perhaps some Florida Snopesters can verify it further? I'm sure if those things really did happen (which I doubt) someone would have picked the story up.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
astra I checked too--and nothing.. there have been no news reports and I get the breaking news alerts from bay news 9.. nothing on the evening news either..

for sure, they would have covered this--especially if someone committed suicide..

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cowboysally
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's this, which doesn't quite reflect the stories in the OP:
quote:
The body of a New Hampshire tourist who disappeared after arguing with his wife at a Walt Disney World hotel was found Friday by divers in a lagoon near the Magic Kingdom, according to Local 6 News.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There were two deaths. A cast member jumped from the roof of the Contemporary landing on the 4th floor.

A man and wife had an argument and the man was found in the lagoon.

The cast member who jumped did not make the newspaper but was featured on a story on Channel 6 news in Orlando.

It's funny this came up because I am in a heated discussion on "Death@Disney" when someone mentioned that all the suicides were related to the full moon. Believe me, I am being burned alive debunking this post which says:
quote:
Yesterday was a full moon. And no, I'm not making light of the deaths - there is
legitimate research that indicates a higher level of violent and suicidal
activities during this phase of the moon. I'd read elsewhere about the drowning
in the lagoon, but had not heard about the Contemporary incident until you posted
it here.

I guess this debunks the statements by one writer (can't remember source right
now, but it will come to me), who claimed "no one ever dies on Disney property".
The gist of it was that bodies are treated like live people in need of
resucitation until they are brought off-property for "treatment" - THEN they are
pronounced dead. Clearly, this cannot be pulled off in the case of a body being
pulled from a lake, and I never really believed that Disney would go to those
lengths anyway, just so they could say "no one ever dies on property".

If anyone wants to join in on my roasting or to help ice down my poor burned flesh, the post is at:
Deaths@Disney

For those with newsreaders the post is at rec.arts.disney.parks and the flaming is under the thread: Deaths@Disney

Bev "burned at the stake" Hamilton

*Edited to fix link---it was too long to work so I did "make a shorter link"

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The gist of it was that bodies are treated like live people in need of
resucitation until they are brought off-property for "treatment" - THEN they are
pronounced dead. Clearly, this cannot be pulled off in the case of a body being
pulled from a lake

There's not much you can do with someone who doesn't understand that "dying" and "being declared dead" are distinct concepts. It's like failing to grasp that the announcement of each year's Nobel Prize winners occurs in October even though the ceremony at which the prizes are actually awarded doesn't take place until December.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cu411

Good simile (or analogy, or whatever) snopes! Well I'm an FLA snopester, but I haven't heard anything about a drowning or anyother death in WDW. But then again, I don't really watch the news lately, busy with school.
All Zenned Up

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B Hamilton:
There were two deaths. A cast member jumped from the roof of the Contemporary landing on the 4th floor.

[SARCASM]That's just a UL. Actually, the Cast member was pushed off the roof by a camera crew in order to give credence to the widely-believed story that Cast members commit suicide in order to prevent overcrowding in the Resort.[/SARCASM]
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this on Reuters.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
grimvader

Long time lurker...first time poster; but I felt the need to pass this on.

In reference to the Cast Member that fell from the Comtemptable Hotel (a little CM humor...very little), as I remember it he was outside on the 4th floor sitting on the edge smoking a cig. What happens next varies from story to story; however, most common was that a swarm of bees launched an attack and while trying to swat them away, the young man lost his balance and fell over.

My favorite Disney cover up was an incident that happened one night while I was working at Pleasure Island:

A distraught ex-husband (or ex-boyfriend), armed with a shotgun, took hostages at Epcot. During a standoff with sheriffs deputies he commited suicide in front of Journey to Imagination. Now this is pretty big news, but I saw nothing about it on tv and the Orlando Slantenal buried it in the back of the State and Local Section.

End of Line

Grim

Snow White

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that this isn't an UL. I did an internship at Disney World last year when these deaths occured. I worked with Paul (second victim) at Pecos Tall Tale Inn and Cafe there.

The drowning victim was a guest that had a fight with his wife during dinner at the Grand Floridian Resort. He was drinking a lot and his wife decided to go back to their room for the night. Sometime during the night, he fell into the Seven Seas Lagoon near the Polonisian Resort. This was actually on the news during that time. It occured a couple days before April 26, 2002. Here's an article about it. Local6

Separate Incidents Leave Two Dead at Disney World
Mon Apr 29, 9:04 PM ET
By Doug Young
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Two people died at Walt Disney World in Florida last week, one a visitor who apparently drowned and the other an employee who committed suicide, police and company officials said on Monday.
Jim Solomons, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, said divers found the body of Sean Slattery, 36, of Merrimack, New Hampshire, in the Seven Seas Lagoon, the large man-made lake at the center of the resort, early on Friday.

Slattery's wife had reported him missing at the resort on Thursday night and his death was preliminarily being treated as an accidental drowning, Solomons said.

The sheriff's spokesman said Slattery was reported to have been drinking before his disappearance, and may have gotten into an argument.

Solomons said that Paul Lambeck, 28, apparently jumped from an observation area atop the 24-story Contemporary Resort at about 8 p.m. EDT Friday.

Lambeck died from massive head injuries, he said, and there were no signs of a struggle.

Disney World spokeswoman Rena Callahan said Lambeck was an hourly employee who had worked for Disney World about a year. She said the resort had worked closely with the sheriff's department on both cases.

Disney World parent The Walt Disney Co. has come under scrutiny in recent years for its handling of emergencies at Disney World and Anaheim, California-based Disneyland.

In one case, workers at Disneyland were accused of cleaning up an accident scene before outside investigators arrived. The 1998 Christmas Eve accident left one tourist dead and two others injured at the Columbia sailing ship attraction.

Anaheim police were also criticized in that accident for a 4-1/2 hour delay in reaching the scene.
The park later agreed to leave accident scenes untouched until investigators arrive, and police and paramedics have set up permanent stations at the park.

That same week there was, I think, another death in Disney World. I heard that a cast member had a heart attack in the tunnels under the Magic Kingdom. I didn't hear much about this, so I don't know if this one is true.

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snow White:
I worked . . . at Pecos Tall Tale Inn and Cafe there.

And this is supposed to reassure us as to your truthfulness?

Joking! Just joking! Really!

('Course, that reminds me o' the time that me an' Paul was whittlin' toothpicks outen redwoods, and Paul got a mite thirsty and just had ta drink down a lake or two -- so's now there's just Death Valley left -- when I sees the biggest goldurn tree I ever clapped eyes to. It stuck more'n halfway to the moon, an' had stars stuck in its branches. So I whipped out muh axe and started in a-whackin', but the tree, he just whacked back. Th' whole thing was petrified! A tree, still standin', made o' petrified wood! Well, that just made me mad, so I re-commenced swingin'. It took some doin', but I finally chippy-chopped that ol' tree down. We hauled the stone away in sections -- that's where you get your Allegheny and Adirondack Mountains -- but you can still see the tree-stump. They call it "Devil's Tower," but all it is, it's the chopped-down stump of one big ol' tree.)

Silas (Buy me a drink if you think I'm lyin'!) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc Savage

quote:
Solomons said that Paul Lambeck, 28, apparently jumped from an observation area atop the 24-story Contemporary Resort at about 8 p.m. EDT Friday.
So much for fact-checking. The Contemporary is only 15 stories. The fourth floor level is the one where the main shopping/restaurant area is located, where you can stand and watch the monorails go by overhead. I can believe someone jumped from the 15th floor and landed on the 4th floor, as the 4th floor has areas at either end with a sort of unofficial deck (aka "smoking area"/stairwells).
John Paul Lewis

So, What is Disney's Official status now? Do they still claim that no deaths have ever occured on their property. (I don't really see a way out of it, unless they sell the lagoon to a parking lot company or something) [dunce]
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of OT, but I work at a race track part-time as a fire fighter/EMT (Brad, it's right up the road from where you live). We also have the saying "no one dies on the race track". It's a euphamism, and everyone knows it, but it is taken seriously by some drivers and their crews, as well as corner workers. What I'm trying to say is: they may say "no one dies at Disney", but I doubt seriously they mean it as anything other than a platitude.

Atlanta "the area just outside the gate, however..." Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Road Atlanta, eh, A.J.? If so, I live just a few miles from there. Ever meet Paul Newman?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of,
I was the pit-fireman for his pit in the 2001 Petit LeMans. He didn't make a full lap before he got spun off the track, and injured his ankle!

I was 5 feet away from him for about 10 min. while he prepared to get in the car....

Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Web Spinner *angelwings*

Icon 88 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who did a co-op at Disney for a semester. He told us about one death of a woman that occurred at the park while he was there, that the park covered up. (something about the woman was jet-skiing and she had some sort of accident -- rammed into a fairy statue? or something) He said there were others but didn't want to talk about them.
Kamin

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Web Spinner *angelwings*:
I know someone who did a co-op at Disney for a semester. He told us about one death of a woman that occurred at the park while he was there, that the park covered up. (something about the woman was jet-skiing and she had some sort of accident -- rammed into a fairy statue? or something) He said there were others but didn't want to talk about them.

I think you are thinking of the woman in the early 90's who ran into the Ferry with a 'water sprite' (a small, one person, motorized boat) She was video taping her 9 year old in another sprite and wasn't paying attention to the horn that the Ferry operator was blowing. she hit, went under, and then the operator made a mistake, he tried to stop by putting it in reverse. There was no cover up. How do I know about it? I was there. People were trying to get her attention and she kept happily taping away. Btw...she was in the wrong...she wasn't supposed to be in that area with the sprite. People are told that when they rent them.
Chimera

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those sprites are dangerous or at least were. I'm talking the old days before Epcot (or even the Epcot Center) when the contemporary resort was the only game in town. I was too young to drive a car but was able to take out a sprite with about thirty seconds of instruction on how to drive it. Oops I hit the dock, oops did it again... good now I'm out in the open water with other boats (wonder what else I'll hit). I haven't taken one out in years so I don't know how they're run now. But as far as there never being any deaths at Disney where does Disney say that? There are deaths everywhere. Look at all the resorts they now have. If nothing else guest are going to die in their sleep or something. The only loophole I can think of is that no one has been declared dead on their property. Often they declare the person dead at the hospital. Just a thought.

I have found a lot of 'pricey' places are pretty relaxed about rules (eg. I've never seen anyone ever carded at nice resturants or dinner theaters. Or while Disney has become 'search crazy' at their parks after 9-11 they don't question people at the resorts I've never even been asked for the ID to use transportation and things). Also carnies and really cheap small town attractions aren't usually very strict (I took a one year old on a tilt-a-whirl once and it scared me to death that he might have been upset or even injured but all he said was "not fun"). If you don't know the rules or guidelines they probably won't be told or enforced.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Web Spinner *angelwings*

Icon 106 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The incident my friend was talking about happened while he was at WDW, just a couple of semesters ago, not in the 90s.
Kamin

I was there just last month, for over three years, full-time. The only deaths in that time were the guy in the lagoon, the Contemporary and the guy on Splash Mountain.

Edited to add that I forgot about the guy who died in one of the marathons.

Web Spinner *angelwings*

Icon 101 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm. The dude certainly could've been making things up for attention [Smile] But it was interesting nonetheless, so thought I would share!
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheesh... People die everywhere...

How many Christmas Pilgrims have died at Saint Peter's in Rome? How many Muslim Pilgrims have died on Hajj at Mecca?

How many people have died in Las Vegas Casinos? How many on Cruises? At Football games? On Airliners?

Just for fun, let's think about something more cheerful: how many women have given birth at Disneyland? I'll bet it's quite a few! I'll bet it's more than have died there!

Silas (sheesh again) Sparkhammer

--------------------

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:

How many Christmas Pilgrims have died at Saint Peter's in Rome? How many Muslim Pilgrims have died on Hajj at Mecca?

How many people have died in Las Vegas Casinos? How many on Cruises? At Football games? On Airliners?

Just for fun, let's think about something more cheerful: how many women have given birth at Disneyland? I'll bet it's quite a few! I'll bet it's more than have died there!

Wait let me spin way off topic and tell my most recent 'death' story. I arrive for a Sales call at this very large insurance company first thing Friday morning. I am met by one of the people to whom I am presenting and he walks me through the maze to the conference room. Along the way he says, just so you know why everyone might seem a little somber, one of our co-workers died at the office very late on Friday afternoon, so we are all still mourning and in shock.

Beach...how do you walk into that room and talk about the product you're selling...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, have to reply. I (hangs head in shame) worked for Pepsi (for a short while). I now have no fear of hell. They are stupid. We were forced to play games... They had us do things like throwing diapers around in the parking lot. But one day some woman dropped dead walking (on a hot day) from a parking lot to the picnic shelter for a manditory "fun" event. Yup, had a heart attack coming up that hill. I always said somebody would get killed playing their games but I didn't mean it.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamin

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No problem, Silas...I saw at least three possible conceptions on the Wedway Peoplemover (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) when I worked attractions. And two that wouldn't lead to conception where the girl mysteriously dissappeared and reappeared at the end of the ride. But that's more for the NFBSK section [Eek!] [Embarrassed] [Wink]

edited: I forgot the one on the Skyway and the couple in the bushes.

Web Spinner *angelwings*

Disney mating! I always thought the Haunted Mansion would be fun, although I don't know how one would pull that off [Wink]
Silas Sparkhammer

Sex! (It was about time for this thread to get dirty!)

Me, I'd go to Tom Sawyer's Island and snuggle in the tunnels...

But, seriously: how many women have given birth at Disneyland? It has to have happened, yes? I don't have any way to know...so I'm asking...

Web Spinner Angelwings: The Haunted Mansion would be easy! There's plenty of room in the "doom buggies" to turn sideways, for a nice "spoon fashion" bit of whoopee... But the surroundings are hardly romantic!

Silas (but, seriously, folks...) Sparkhammer

--------------------

christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 505 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[quote]
But, seriously: how many women have given birth at Disneyland? It has to have happened, yes? I don't have any way to know...so I'm asking...

I don't know about the number but any baby born at Disneyland is supposed to get a life-time pass to Disneyland.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamin

There's a spot just off the Wedway track in Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdomjust before the train speeds up...no cameras...no one goes back there...and we were never caught.
Torcha

quote:

Well, according to Doug's Disneyland Trivia Page

"There has been at least one recognized birth at Disneyland. A special birth certificate was created for the event (afterwards, of course) and presented to the parents. I've seen a copy of it, featuring Disney characters and announcing the vital statistics. Now if that kid isn't a Disneyphile, who could be?"

And according to This Day in Disney History:

"July 4, 1979-- The first baby is born at Disneyland, California. Six-pound, 10-ounce Teresa Salcedo is born to Rosa and Elias Salcedo."

I haven't been able to find records of any others born in Disneyland, or any in Disney World, for that matter.

Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Originally posted by Torcha:
"July 4, 1979-- The first baby is born at Disneyland, California. Six-pound, 10-ounce Teresa Salcedo is born to Rosa and Elias Salcedo."

I haven't been able to find records of any others born in Disneyland, or any in Disney World, for that matter.

Excellent search work! I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more. Still, congratulations to the Salcedos, and to Disneyland!

Silas (to live and die in Disneyland!) Sparkhammer

--------------------

Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, there's a new rumor spinning about cast members committing suicide. As all ULs are wont to do.

The new rumor is that a cast member jumped from Cinderella's castle in the Magic Kingdom. I found it interesting to hear that the rumor had been twisted around in such a manner. AFAIK, the only way you can get up to any of the points where one MAY be able to jump from requires a key to unlock something (a door, ability to access the top floor of the castle via elevator)

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages