snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » Lion King sex myth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lion King sex myth
Gelbot
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but I read in the Disney Movie myth section that the Lion King sex-in-the clouds is unverified.

We watched this section of the film (there is a plume of smoke which rises and dissipates) frame-by frame, and the word "sex" ABSOLUTELY does appear in the smoke right before the smoke is gone. If this is not the case, maybe they re-released the video with that edited out, and you need an older copy.

I'd have to double-check to see exactly where in the film this occurs.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the letters, but they look like S-F-X to me: Special Effects.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
here you go

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I see the letters, but they look like S-F-X to me: Special Effects.

I really have a problem with the idea that they MEANT to spell S-F-X. You'd think SOMEONE at Disney who was in on this would have said 'you know, that looks an awful lot like 'S-E-X' and they would have either scrapped the idea or made sure the 'F' doesn't look at all like an 'E'. Unfortunately, the middle letter is something that could be an 'F' and could be an 'E'. There is a third line at the bottom coming out at a diagonal (while the top two lines come straight out). If they'd just gotten rid of that bottom line, it would have made it unquestionably an 'F'. Why wouldn't they have done that? Did no one really notice the similarity?

And, no, I'm not one of these people looking for hidden depravities in Disney. I agree that it's the priest's knee, and while I'm not sure what Aladdin is saying, he's definitely not urging teens to get nekked. I just find this one questionable.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
armyofgod1977

Icon 88 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, this is for the Brad from Georgia. I looked at your web site. (this has nothing to do with disney) I just wanted to say I love Wishbone!! I would have e-mailed you that note but your e-mail is not visiable.
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by armyofgod1977:
Hey, this is for the Brad from Georgia. I looked at your web site. (this has nothing to do with disney) I just wanted to say I love Wishbone!! I would have e-mailed you that note but your e-mail is not visiable.

Oops. I'll have to fix that! Thanks for the kind words regarding Wishbone. He's retired now in California--because a British company bought Big Feats Entertainment just to get Barney the Purple Dinosaur. Why they wanted him is anybody's guess.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gelbot

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't say "S - F - X".

It says "S - E - X"

The bottom tine "E" is stretched out, but it is clearly there. It looks clearer while moving.

I don't want to come across as someone who sees the influence of SATAN in things, I think it's a pretty imaginative piece of harmless pranksterism. I just think it does an injustice to the crafty and creative jokester who added it into the movie.

Wouldn't it have been funnier if instead of hiding "SEX" in the clouds they had put something extremely obscure like "CLOIBUM", "WAFFLES" or "SPALBY THE DRUMSTICK"? Then people would really wonder.

I had friends discussing how showing up at Thanksgiving dinner sporting a tatoo of "666" on your forehead wouldn't be nearly as frightening as getting a tattoo on your forehead which says "Home Alone 2". Your parents would be really worried about that.

Imaginative artists should fill our childrens' videos not with messages like "SEX" but rather "OPRAH KITTENS" or "JIMMY" if they really want to change the world. Instead of a picture of a naked woman appearing in "the rescuers", perhaps they could flash a picture of the real ping-pong playing cat in "Air Bud" or a picture of Carrot Top tossing a salad in "Ferngully". Wouldn't that make people wonder more than whether it is "SEX" or "SFX" and what it really means?

danielinthewolvesden

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fer crikeys sake- who gives a rats *ss? Your kids can hear the word "sex" all day long on the TV, ferkrissakes. It is NOT a dirty word, except to those who think that "sex" itself is dirty. Watching the film over & over in slomo, frame by frame? Does the expression "get a life" mean anything?

Next- Disney is NOT "the evil empire"- nowadays, that's not even funny.

SuperLorie

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have watched that clip of the Lion King over and over, and I STILL can't see any letters. Does that mean I'm in denial? Oh, and by the way....I agree: kids see and hear sooo much worse anywhere you look on TV nowadays, so I don't think seeing the word "sex" on a damn cartoon is gonna cause 'em to suddenly freak out and go sleep around, do drugs, smoke, drive fast cars, hack into government computers, or whatever it is bad kids do nowadays.

Just my two cents worth.

Lorie

Shodan

I looked at the still frames, and it definitely says "S-E-X".

And it worked. I now want to have sex with lions.

Look on the bright side. It could have been [u]101 Dalmations[/u].

Regards,
Shodan

moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 96 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SuperLorie:
...drive fast cars, hack into government computers, or whatever it is bad kids do nowadays.

HEY! Since when do only bad kids drive fast cars?

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
caffeinated lyric

quote:
Originally posted by KingDavid8:
I agree that it's the priest's knee

It could have been, if it were logical and incorporated meaningfully into the scene, but I mean, hello, why the feck would anybody try to put his knee there, moving, momentarily?

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shodan:
I looked at the still frames, and it definitely says "S-E-X".

And it worked. I now want to have sex with lions.

Look on the bright side. It could have been 101 Dalmations.

Phooarr... if you ever join Disney then let me know.

Personally I'm still fixated on my wardrobe after having seen Chip 'N' Dale...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caffeinated lyric:
It could have been, if it were logical and incorporated meaningfully into the scene, but I mean, hello, why the feck would anybody try to put his knee there, moving, momentarily?

Momentarily? They show both his knees at several points in that scene - 2 screenshots are shown on the snopes page - he's got really knobbly knees, and if that's an erection he's built oddly, since that's awful LOW. (I'd say he was really well hung if it wasn't supposed to be an erection, but since it is, he's more like the alien Kirk kneecaps in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.)

Tengu

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My english teacher told our class this in the final
year of high school - this was 1994. She said that the names of the
characters in the animated Disney movie "The Lion King" were taken from
African languages words - typically with meaning to them. I think Simba
was supposed to mean 'king'. Anyway, she said that the character "Pumba"
is the word for the description of a particularly nasty infection that
causes the foreskin of a male humans penis to get all red, itchy and
inflammed. The guy who was in charge of choosing the names of the
characters did this as a joke. The story goes that the names of the
characters were chosen, the film had been completed, the merchandising was
done and ready to hit the shops, and THEN Disney studio executives found
out about it. Not being able to change anything, they fired the guy
responsible.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sheduck

Icon 603 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a google search and found this (see under the heading 'those wacky disney animators').

I found this Swahili-English Dictionary and entered the word 'pumba' into the translator. It gave me the following definitions:

pumba (noun): ball (small); bundle; chaff of grain; excretion (under the foreskin)

But it should be noted that Disney spells the warthog's name Pumbaa, with two a's. When you enter that spelling into the dictionary, you get the following definitions:

-pumbaa (verb): be absentminded; be careless; be dull-witted; be foolish; gape; be ignorant; be lazy; be negligent; be nonplussed; be relaxed; be speechless (from astonishment); stare; be stupid; be thoughtless.

I think Lion King creators deliberately chose the name 'pumbaa' for their loveable and slow-witted character, based on the definition above. However, I'm not sure if 'pumba' and 'pumbaa' are pronounced the same in Swahili, and if they are, I can see how this 'excretion of the foreskin' talk got started.

(For what it's worth, entering 'Timon' into the translator came back with nothing.)

-She"hakuna matata"duck

[edited to fix mistake]

Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheduck:
But it should be noted that Disney spells the warthog's name Pumbaa, with two a's.

Not in the Spanish version, sadly. [Laughing out loud]

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Animal or god?

What about the Ron Sex Myth? [Razz]
Partly Zenadian

Icon 101 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a timeless verity that people will see what they want to see, and then defend it against all arguments.
Cowboy Bebop

quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:
Originally posted by armyofgod1977:
Hey, this is for the Brad from Georgia. I looked at your web site. (this has nothing to do with disney) I just wanted to say I love Wishbone!! I would have e-mailed you that note but your e-mail is not visiable. [Smile]

Oops. I'll have to fix that! Thanks for the kind words regarding Wishbone. He's retired now in California--because a British company bought Big Feats Entertainment just to get Barney the Purple Dinosaur. Why they wanted him is anybody's guess.
The Teletubbies are past their prime. [Big Grin]
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 504 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Serious TLK fan here. I heard someone mention name translations. The following names are Swahili:

Simba = Lion
Pumbaa = Simpleton
Shenzi = Uncouth
Rafiki = Friend
Sarabi = Mirage

Simba's Pride characters:
Kovu = Scar (How very clever [Roll Eyes] )
Nuka = Stink (How pleasant!)
Zira = Hate (Also pleasant!)

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages