snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Technical Questions » Silly question about age in profile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silly question about age in profile
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 05 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we supposed to change our age in our profile as we add on the years, or does is Snopes mainly concerned that we have the correct age for when we first signed up?

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AFAIK, it's supposed to reflect your current age, not the age when you signed up.

You can only be 19 for so long. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:

Speak for yourself...lol

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to a previous boss, you stop adding years at 30 . . .

I'm asking because of my tendency towards forgetfulness - I once drove around with an expired license for 5 months. I mostly wanted to know if it's a profile locking offense - of course if your profile is locked I guess you do stay at that age forever!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks, I'll check to see if it automatically updates, though I'm betting it doesn't.

Also, the feature that converts dog years to human years is broken.

Dog (eheu fugantes lubuntur anni) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't update automatically. My understanding is that you're supposed to change it every year.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
XPhile
Cereal Killer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XPhile   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure mine updated automatically. At least, I don't remember changing it.

--------------------
"If I am carrying Marilyn Monroe's purse, do you assume that I slept with JFK?"

Posts: 139 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, when I posted about my "friend" who was turning 40, snopes helpfully updated my profile age for me. So there is precedent...

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 203 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
AFAIK, it's supposed to reflect your current age, not the age when you signed up.

But you can be 29 forever!

Robbiev -29 for the 9th time- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure I had to update mine myself.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 203 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1) The Age field doesn't automatically update.

(I'll occasionally update a profile manually if I notice that the birth date and age fields don't correspond, but that doesn't happen very often.)

2) It would be nice if you all kept your age fields up-to-date, but as long as you entered your real age at the time you registered, you're not going to suffer any penalty if you don't update it every year. I realize that a lot of members fill out their profile information when they register and then never look at (or edit) their profiles again.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the woman who was celebrating the 6th aniversery of her 29th birthday.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:

I'm asking because of my tendency towards forgetfulness - I once drove around with an expired license for 5 months. I mostly wanted to know if it's a profile locking offense - of course if your profile is locked I guess you do stay at that age forever!

5 months? Bah. My dad's record is 4 years on an expired license, and 2 on expired plates.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, playing Let's Bake a Squeal:
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:

5 months? Bah. My dad's record is 4 years on an expired license, and 2 on expired plates.
I had an aunt who never had a license yet she drove a car from the day she turned 16 until she died in her late 40s (death was not car related).

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister celebrated the 15th aniversery of her 39th birthday this year.
Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
But you can be 29 forever!

Yes! That's a relief! I'll never age again.

(What? I am 29. Really.)

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

I'm glad this thread reminded me about the age field in my profile. I just updated it in recognition of the 17th anniversary of my 29th birthday last week.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Immature forever" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Accirding to my profile I am a ripe 124.

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But I really am 29, and everybody is going to think I'm lying and that I'm older!

No fair.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend's 29...his 30th birthday is next Saturday. I'm still wondering if he's going to admit to being 30, since he's been dreading this day for years.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
But I really am 29, and everybody is going to think I'm lying and that I'm older!

No fair.

If it makes you feel better, I know your pain.

This is the only year I'll be 29. And be telling the truth about it.

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NickFun:
Accirding to my profile I am a ripe 124.

It's fine with me. But every now and again one of these profile gags ends up as a new thread in the technical forum: "Why's my account locked?!!!1111!!!11???"
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went and looked at mine and its 5 months late, not that I wanted to stay 26 mind you.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically, I get upset when my sister hits the milestones. She's 4 years older. By the time they come around for me I've some to terms with it.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
I enjoyed the woman who was celebrating the 6th aniversery of her 29th birthday.

Ahh. But did she enjoy you?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just checked my profile and my current age is correct. I don't remember updating it manually, but perhaps I did. When you get to my age you begin to forget things, often in the middle of

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't recall manually updating my age, but it always seems to be correct. I also entered my birthdate - perhaps having that optional field filled in allows for the autoupdating?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages