snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Funniest urban legend at Snopes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funniest urban legend at Snopes?
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The most hilarious thing I've ever read at Snopes is the Captain Pugwash story.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm

It's rude, but it makes me laugh. What are your favorites?

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Thousand Dollar Bill

It just gets funnier the longer you read it...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Writing Wrongs always makes me laugh.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Without a doubt:
Sad Sack

Believe it or not, I got that one in an email years back by a friend who thought it was true.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Naked Truth

Sinister undertones aside, this just cracks me up.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the contributions. Funny. I was afraid last night that no one was going to respond, which surprised me because one of the reasons I frequently check Snopes is for a laugh. I go there to debunk the right-wing rumors and silly hoaxes I receive by e-mail, but I can spend hours reading all the amusing stories. I figured others must enjoy the fun stuff, too. We can't be serious and political all the time.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, surfcitydogdad. Part of the appeal of Snopes lies in being able to verify or debunk things, of course, but I also enjoy the site just because I like weird (if untrue) stories.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to think that the boy with the body made of a burlap sack was a tongue-in-cheek way of poking fun of glurges in general... I was shocked to hear that some people actually BELIEVED it. That was very scary, but other then that it's hilarious. [Smile]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

I couldn't find this before, but it's one that makes me smirk and chuckle. It's the old baked bean story toward the bottom of the entry about the farting date. http://www.snopes.com/love/dating/fart.asp

Yes, I confess I like the vulgar, crude, rude, and earthy. I started the thread with the Capt. Pugwash story (at top). I'm a guy. What can I say? I love the Three Stooges, the Simpsons, and South Park. I even watch the roasts on Comedy Central, although they're too blue for my taste. (See the thread about the Shatner roast at: http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/52/t/003984/p/1.html )

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a toss-up between the above mentioned "fart on a date" story and the ski accident here described: http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/accident/skier.asp

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
The Thousand Dollar Bill

I agree. I think I'm going to engrave this part somewhere:
quote:
Once again, e-mail tracing programs do not exist. Any "get something free" come-on or "help a sick kid" appeal which specifies an invisible program is keeping track of who received an e-mail and who it was then sent to is a hoax. Any such note. No exceptions. Not even ones not yet listed on this page.
That last sentence just cracks me up. Also the part about Dick Douche is hysterical.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:
The Naked Truth

Sinister undertones aside, this just cracks me up.

Amazingly, this one got acted out in reality. http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/62/t/001196/p/1.html
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MistletoeLady
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MistletoeLady   E-mail MistletoeLady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When it comes to the funniest stories on Urban Legends, here are my favorites.

First of all, let me explain that I was born in Toledo, Oregon, along the Oregon Coast, very near this episode of a true happening.

Second of all, I grew up learning in school that the Alaskan natives used to eat whale blubber to protect them from the extreme cold of the long, harsh winters. This story would not have set on their stomachs!

I was not there at the time, but I am glad I was not! Imagine raining whale blubber, and not just whale blubber, but stinking, decayed whale blubber!!!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/disposal/whale.htm

The other one, I cannot seem to locate now. It took place at Purdue University. A couple of the Professors decided to see if they could create the fastest lighting barbecue. They did! But they melted the poor old barbecue to a small ball of metal! I sure wish I could find it, it is very funny!

--------------------
Have a great day!
Mistletoe Lady

Posts: 1 | From: Heflin, Alabama | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My person favorite would have to be The Lap Dog. Heck, I even made it part of the Snopes intiation ceremony.

Speaking of initiations, welcome to the board, LadyMistletoe. I suggest you make a trip to this month's initiation thread. The Georgian dance troupe is waiting.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
The Thousand Dollar Bill

Yeah, my favorite part of that one is the letter saying Old Navy wants to compete with GAP, even though they are run by the same company.

And I do remember receiving the "$1,000 and Windows 98" one. I did believe it too. [Embarrassed] But then again, I was only nine at the time.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That last sentence just cracks me up.
Barbara put that in there because, honest to God, we would get reader e-mail like this:

"I know the Bill Gates e-mail is hoax, and the Nike free shoes e-mail is hoax, and the free trip to Disney World e-mail is hoax, and the free clothing from Gap e-mail is a hoax, and the free gift certificates from Old Navy e-mail is hoax, but what about this one? It's not the same as those others -- it says you can get $25 gift certificates from Outback Steakhouse for testing an e-mail tracking program. Is it true?"

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mister Ed

I was really getting into it when it started on the NFL officials thing, and then (yes, and ONLY then) did it hit me... This was BS!

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused...what was BS? Mr. Ed was a Zebra? According to your link, he WAS a zebra.

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vfwchick's scared:
I'm confused...what was BS? Mr. Ed was a Zebra? According to your link, he WAS a zebra.

You should read some more.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:
Originally posted by vfwchick's scared:

You should read some more.
Yup, that's exactly what I did.....

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It may not count as a "funniest UL" because it's listed as true, but Catch of the day is by far my favorite ULRP page.

I'm glad that the writer said "so let me tell you right up front that he's fine" at the start, or I would have been too horrified to enjoy the story. Poor kitty.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vison
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vison   E-mail vison   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Duck:
Without a doubt:
Sad Sack

Believe it or not, I got that one in an email years back by a friend who thought it was true.

Thank you for the best laff I've had in months. I'm new here and the word "glurge" is also new to me. I get a lot of this stuff, too. Only now I know what to call it. A much politer name than the one I presently use.

--------------------
The tree the tempest with a crash of wood
Throws down in front of us is not to bar
Our passage to our journey's end for good,
But just to ask us who we think we are.

Robert Frost

Posts: 1 | From: Abbotsford, Canada | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vison:

Thank you for the best laff I've had in months. I'm new here and the word "glurge" is also new to me. I get a lot of this stuff, too. Only now I know what to call it. A much politer name than the one I presently use.

Hi, Vision! Welcome to the board. Don't unpack your stuff just yet, though. We've moved to a bigger place. Just follow the links in my signature line to get directions.

Yeah, you'll have to register again. But the process is a little different, and you'll get to pick your own password.

- your friendly neighborhood Spam & cookies-mmm

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one that doesn't seem to be on snopes.com.
It's a message board conversation about some dogs that found an elk carcass and had a party. Enjoy.
Dogs in Elk

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages