snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Dentistry UL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dentistry UL
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(not under "Medical" because not concerned with health or medicine itself but with the training or practice of dentistry)

One from a long time ago, that my cousin used to tell me (a cousin who was not a very reliable source of information):

A man from my cousin's home town near me attended dental school. After completing all that education, he discovered that he didn't have the coordination in his fingers to make caps for teeth, so he couldn't practice dentistry.

(He did, however, find another job in the business field and did quite well for himself.)

So, I ask, is this sort of thing possible? I'm not sure about the dental training process or about making "caps" for teeth, but it seems pretty extreme that someone would go through the whole dental school process without this problem coming up earlier, and that "making caps" would be so crucial to being a dentist or would require such coordination.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my best friend's husband is a dentist.

I don't know from casual conversation with him at what point in school the manual dexterity training would come up, but I'll ask him about it.

I do know that fine motor skills is in fact important in his work. He can also build or fix just about anything, he's quite mechanical, but probably not all dentists can do cabinet work. heh. But they do have to have some ability, yes, to do what is basically little teeth sculptures. You would not want somebody with clutzy fingers doing a root canal either. *shudder*

-this friend of mine's husband made her wedding ring while he was in dental school, while they were learning how to make gold fillings. Isn't that sweet?

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be a dentist now you have to suceed on a DAT (Dental Aptitude Test) It focuses largely on your capability to imagine spatial relationships AND You have to be able to carve soap (yes, soap) in a shape using a knife and a ruler.

SO, no you can't take dentistry without being very well coordinated.

FIrst time answering a question!! WOOT!!

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dentists do not make caps (crowns) for teeth, though. They are fabricated in labs by dental techs. However, shaping fillings does require the sort of spatial aptitude Bubby talks about (US dental schools use paper folding, as opposed to soap carving, according to the ADA's website).

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VW girl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VW girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a dental assistant and I've seen some pretty bad work from a few dentists. If the margins (edges of the cut tooth) are not prepared right on the tooth, the crown won't fit down all the way and you can get a cavity under the crown. You wouldn't find the cavity until you had big problems,like pain and needing a root canal. Some dentists couldn't make good margins to save their lives.

--------------------
Volkswagens don't leak oil, they just mark their spots.

Posts: 19 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife is in dental school right now, and it's pretty rigorous, hands on work. It's not like you just graduate from dental school and start working on people. You do dental procedures all through your four years. You start in pre-clinic, and your work is graded. If you don't have the dexterity or coordination to drill a plastic tooth in a dummy's head, they won't let you work on an actual patient once you get to clinic.

It's doubtful you'd get through your first year, as you're (at least at NJ Dental School) required to create teeth from wax, in a specific amount of time.

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As an ex-dental technician I can tell you most dentists have the dexterity of Captain Hook.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus, they have to do it all while looking in a mirror (ie, backwards).
Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Minor nitpick on the root canal: This is done by an oral surgeon. My last two dentists had to refer me to OS's for extractions and a root canal. I don't know whether oral surgeons are a separate group from dentists (that is, MD's with a specialty that relates to teeth rather than DDS's), but I would hope that they have to go through something similar.

Bubby: At first I thought you said they had to perform the prison trick of carving a knife out of a bar of soap.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jayguar Temple:
Minor nitpick on the root canal: This is done by an oral surgeon.

Endodontists usually do major root canals. General dentists should be able to do most routine anterior root canals.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right; it was an endodontist. All I remembered is that my general dentist couldn't do it. I guess it wasn't routine.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My regular dentist did my root canals. All several of them (I've done my best to block out the details of these memories).

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jayguar Temple:
... I don't know whether oral surgeons are a separate group from dentists (that is, MD's with a specialty that relates to teeth rather than DDS's), but I would hope that they have to go through something similar....

(All info is in reference to the US system)

Oral surgeons are usually DDS (i.e. graduates of Dental School, not Medical School) who then do additional training as an oral surgery resident, so yes they are highly educated/trained beyond the "basic" DDS degree. This process includes work at a medical school- when I was in school, some of the oral surgery residents took anatomy with us, and someone woud up on a clinical rotation- but I do not think they get an MD, though I have known people who are dentists and then go to medical school later. There might be some programs that credit some of the courses learned in Dental School. Anyway, an oral surgeon sticks with teeth, gums, and attached stuctures (jaw, palate, etc.)

Not to be confused with an oro-maxilo-facial surgeon who is usually an MD who then does an ENT surgery residency and additional fellowship training. Several years total after medical school. This would a person who could reconstruct an entire face in a trauma or congenital malformation.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages