snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » 17 different sizes of Australian 2$ coins?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 17 different sizes of Australian 2$ coins?
Graham
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Graham   E-mail Graham   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard this and I have no idea on which part of the forum to post, so I'll place it here.

While trying to buy a ticket one of the coins (Australian $2) I was using kept being rejected for some reason. A cleaner saw me and came over and told me that the problem was caused by the 'fact' that there are 17 different sizes of $2 coins because they are "...made in Thailand."

I have never heard this before and to be quite honest it may have been due to the fact that the machine was requesting 'exact fare only'.

Have any other of the Australian forum members heard this or variants, or do you have any clue how it got started

Posts: 27 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, per this site:

http://www.ramint.gov.au/about_ram/default.cfm

the Royal Australian Mint, based in Canberra appears to be the sole producer of Australian coinage. Whether they vary the size of the $2 coins I cannot say, although they are very specific about the percentages of the various metals used. Sounds bloody inconvenient if they do.

I cannot see any information on their site which would indicate that they outsource production to Thailand, but given the following quote:

Since opening in 1965 the Mint has produced over eleven billion circulating coins and has the capacity to produce over two million coins per day, or over six hundred million coins per year.

it would seem that they have capacity to spare. Given the logistical and security problems involved with moving money it would seem insane to produce AUD coins in Thailand and ship them over.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mint-security-lapse-amazes-judge/2006/06/21/1150845228544.html

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the FAQs:
quote:
24.   Does the RAM provide free samples of coins?

No.

If only it was that easy. [lol]

Graham, are you sure it was an Aussie $2? I've been given Kiwi $2 by mistake more than once, and it's not until I try to use them as $1 AUD in a machine that I realise what's happened. Kiwi $1 are about 2.5mm larger in diameter than our $2 and their $2 is 1mm larger than our $1.

They're the right colour and they all have the same profile of the Queen on the back. It's easy to assume the different design is just another commemorative change and to get them confused.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tori

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tori   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He said he was trying to use a $2 coin, not a $1 coin. If that were the case, then I could see where it could be confused with NZ money.

Speaking of which, when I lived in Sydney and rode the trains, I'd get a NZ coin in change at least once a week. Usually the 50c piece, which is similiar size/shape as our 20c piece. Never noticed til it was too late, and then I had to figure out where I could pass it off. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An NZ $1 looks fairly similar to an Aus $2.

ETA: For comparison: NZ coins, Aussie coins.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Graham

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham   E-mail Graham   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
From the FAQs:
quote:
24.   Does the RAM provide free samples of coins?

No.

If only it was that easy. [lol]

Graham, are you sure it was an Aussie $2?

Quite sure, I still have it, it's a 1989 issue, there seems to be a certain amount of wear on it but that's all.

I'm still trying to get my head around this '17 versions from Thailand' story, I knew that the Mint makes coins/notes for other countries (Kiribati uses the Aussie Dollar with some unique coins as well), but until today I'd never had anyone suggest that Australian coins were made outside this country.

From the way it was given to me by the cleaner it sounded like something he had told to others, sadly I was just about to catch a train and didn't have time to ask where he'd heard it.

Posts: 27 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages