snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » "Six degrees" connection found untrue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Six degrees" connection found untrue
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 101 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea that everyone on earth is seperated by only six other people has been shown untrue, even by the original study.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting!

This one point is not true.
quote:
mathematics has begun to propose theories for why it should be true
Mathematicians have begun to study the patterns of links that make different distributions, nothing more and nothing less. Any connection to the "six degrees" phenomenon is just commentary on more general studies of the phenomena of social networks.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, the scope of the original study was entirely within the U.S. (from Wichita to Cambridge.) So even if it were true, it wouldn't apply to "everyone on earth," it wouldn't have anything to do with the queen, and we wouldn't live in a "world of six degrees of separation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_world_phenomenon

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously I have a very strange social network being five degrees (I think) removed from Napoleon Bonaparte and four degrees from Usama bin Laden.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard about a woman a few years ago (I can't remember the cite, but it was either in a mag like National Geographic or on a news program) who wanted to test the 6 degrees thing by tracing her connection to a random tribesman in Nepal. It took her nine steps, and the study concluded, like Milgram's original wording, that six degrees is the average number of steps, not the maximum.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, you have to wonder what it means. I just calculated that I am four steps away from George W. Bush. So? It sure doesn't mean I can call him and give him my opinion. It doesn't make him any closer than if he were just three or a full nineteen steps away.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
you know what's funny, my wife grew up overseas, and lived in Houston TX and Malta, most of her life, I lived in small town alberta. we recently did this degrees of separation to see how far we were 10 years before we met when I was in high school. in high school there were only 3 degrees of separation... me to my science teacher to her mom to her... of course I couldn't use that network to find her back then... wouldn't have been practical... unless I knew who she was... just kind of neat!
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages