snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Lead in colored ink?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lead in colored ink?
sssssxy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 86 posted      Profile for sssssxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, I'm new here so not sure if posting in the right topic area.

For years I've heard that you shouldn't use newspaper with colored inks in pet cages and that you shouldn't use newspaper with colored inks in fireplaces because colored inks contain lead that can make pets sick or give off harmful fumes if burned. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? [Confused]

I would think that with lead being banned from paints years ago that would apply to other things as well.

Posts: 1 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only warning I've ever heard is about glossy paper. As long as the colored ink is on news (non glossy) paper, you're ok to burn it. The following backs that up:

Clickthis

And there's more info here

My suggestion - if you're not sure, call the office of the newspaper to find out what kind of ink(s) they use.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages