snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Military hero statuary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Military hero statuary
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're all aware of this UL. Question: how in the world could anyone think this is true? I remember when I first read this 'factoid'--I wondered if all the statue sculptors in the country had to clear their works with some sort of central approval board. It just didn't make sense. OK, in DC, the 'factoid' does fit some of the statues around town, but think about it: if your local historical society wants to erect a statue of a war hero on horseback, are they really going to sculpt it according to how the hero died? [Confused] It just doesn't make sense, and it's beyond me how anyone could believe that all horse/rider statues follow some standard or other.

Dawn--but what's it mean when there are no hooves on the ground?--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GrandMal de Caesar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandMal de Caesar   E-mail GrandMal de Caesar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a question of someone looking at statues then creating this idea from what they think they observe. It is a little like all of the words that people claim are acronyms:
Posh--Portside Out, Starboard side, Home as in the location of their cabins on board ships.

and others that I knew but forgot.
No Hooves on the ground? The horse in mid-stride with all hooves in the air, but what is holding up the horse. Or alternatively, the horse down on its knees.

--------------------
Blinded by the lite

Posts: 89 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages