snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Locals Peeing on Blarney Stone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Locals Peeing on Blarney Stone
Tobermory
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobermory     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For years, I've heard tell that locals pee on the Blarney Stone for a good laugh at the expense of the tourists who line up to kiss it. I assume this is a fairly well-known tale, and my mother takes it as gospel, because she's heard it from *actual Irish* people.

I've been to Ireland a few times, but never to Blarney Castle. I'm wondering if it would be possible for people to pee on the Blarney Stone. Since it's a popular tourist attraction, wouldn't it either be too crowded or else guarded when it's closed?

I pointed out to my mom that we know for a fact thousands of people kiss the darn thing, and that alone makes it gross enough to avoid, in my opinion. But, since I live to poke holes in my mom's deeply held beliefs, I just gotta find out whether this is even possible.

----Tobermory

Posts: 136 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://wbal.com/news/story.asp?articleid=42383

quote:
As far as the rumors go about Irish Americans urinating on the stone, Donald Swan, who visited the castle with his wife, Mary Fran, said that's hard to believe because castle employees are always on guard in the area.

"I don't know how they're going to urinate on the Blarney Stone, there's somebody right there with you and it's on the outside of this buttress that's up there," Abrahms added. "I would say the equivalent of maybe four stories up, so unless you got, obviously we're talking about males, really good aim I would think the urine's going to go in the air more than anything else."

Rumor has it, of course, that locals get around the guard problem by breaking in at night to urinate on the stone.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's the guards who do the urination. Hey, standing around for hours watching touristi kissing a piece of rock has got to be hard on the ol' bladder.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
on my one visit to Blarney Castle some 15 years back, i too was surprised to find the stone that you had to "kiss" in such an awkward spot. Mrs suffers a bit of vertigo, so never made it to the top. When i seen how the guards have to hold down your legs as you arched your back a few feet to reach the stone, i thought is was the most ridiculous piece of tourist gimmickery i'd ever seen, and declined to do the deed. As for locals peeing on it...I would be more concerned with the germs on the stone from the amount of people kissing it.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say vaguely possible, but unlikely, and way too much of a trek to be worth the risk and energy expenditure.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gross! It's all black and icky! Urine or no urine, no way would I put my lips on that thing.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BacardiSpice
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BacardiSpice   E-mail BacardiSpice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked the attendants when I visited Blarney Castle the second time - they seemed very frustrated at the repetition of this old canard, and pointed out that it was on private property and the owner would look very dimly on anyone breaking in to do this. Given how widespread the story is - I've heard it for years, all over the world - if it was really taking place with any frequency, steps would have long ago been taken to stop it. There is security in place on the property.

It also strikes me as a hazardous enough thing to do during the day - I wouldn't want to get up there after hours if it were dark! Very narrow, old, twisted winding ruined stairs.

It's also located in fairly open rural and wooded parkland - not exceedingly far from Blarney, but still a bit of a stumble to get up there, undetected, repeatedly.

I could see it happening once as a practical joke, but as a regular occurance...not likely.

The real point in visiting Blarney Castle should be the beauty of the location and the structure. It's set in lovely grounds, and is the very epitome of what a romantic ruined castle should look like. Not even the hoardes and hoardes of tourists can destroy its loveliness - the view from the top over Autumn fields is something spectacular.

Posts: 221 | From: Sydney | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew. That picture is disgusting. At least I can now cross it off my "Stupid Tourist Things to Do" list (it was low on the list anyway).

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife did it a few years ago, although I refused and spent the better part of that day sitting in a bar in Clonakilty discussing politics.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
foxbitca
Mashed Potato Time

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbitca     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked an Irish friend about this once, and he said it's just fun to tell tourists people do that for the look of utter horror they get on their faces when they realise they've kissed the thing and put two and two together.

--------------------
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. --Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 37 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"No, no, it's KISSING the Blarney Stone. KISSing. With a K."

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NobbyNobbs
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobbyNobbs   E-mail NobbyNobbs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else read the title as "Local Peeing on Barney...." ?

--------------------
Back in the days before electricity, we were forced to watch TV by candlelight.

Posts: 229 | From: Paoli, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wishful thinking, Nobby.

And Pogue - did she kiss it? Or...?? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
My wife did it a few years ago, although I refused and spent the better part of that day sitting in a bar in Clonakilty discussing politics.

Pogue

Ok, before I clicked the link I was wondering why your wife peed on that stone and why you would have a picture of it [fish]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Who:
"No, no, it's KISSING the Blarney Stone. KISSing. With a K."

In Swedish it wouldn't make any difference. [Razz]

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pete73
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete73     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tobermory:
For years, I've heard tell that locals pee on the Blarney Stone for a good laugh at the expense of the tourists who line up to kiss it. I assume this is a fairly well-known tale, and my mother takes it as gospel, because she's heard it from *actual Irish* people.

I've been to Ireland a few times, but never to Blarney Castle. I'm wondering if it would be possible for people to pee on the Blarney Stone. Since it's a popular tourist attraction, wouldn't it either be too crowded or else guarded when it's closed?

I pointed out to my mom that we know for a fact thousands of people kiss the darn thing, and that alone makes it gross enough to avoid, in my opinion. But, since I live to poke holes in my mom's deeply held beliefs, I just gotta find out whether this is even possible.

----Tobermory

I wen t a good few years ago and did the deed. As another poster has said, its not a simple operation, with the stone being at the top of a tower with the only way of achieving the deed by arching backwards through a hole in the turret. The stone is actually facing downwards, hence the need for the strange postion. Of course out in the evening in one of Corks fine drinking holes I was regalled by the locals about how they piss on it etc, to which I replied that they must have tremendous bladder pressure and incredible accuracy to reach the thing [Wink]

--------------------
Wise men say

Posts: 5 | From: Birtley, County Durham, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Judging from this picture, I don't think the technical aspect of pissing on the blarney stone would be difficult at all. If I can reach my lips out there, I could certainly get a stream to go that far. I'm surprised nobody else so far has posted to point out that they can do this.

Then again, maybe previous posters were just being humble to avoid this thread becoming a contest of some sort.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard Nixon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Richard Nixon   E-mail Richard Nixon       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tobermory:
[QB] I'm wondering if it would be possible for people to pee on the Blarney Stone.

What gave you that sick idea?

Posts: 92 | From: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EssGee
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EssGee   E-mail EssGee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wiped it before I kissed it. That was about 11 years ago and I'm not dead!

--------------------
If you're happy and you know it...

Posts: 37 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EssGee:
I wiped it before I kissed it. That was about 11 years ago and I'm not dead!

The question is though, are you a gobshite? [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Billion:
Judging from this picture, I don't think the technical aspect of pissing on the blarney stone would be difficult at all. If I can reach my lips out there, I could certainly get a stream to go that far. I'm surprised nobody else so far has posted to point out that they can do this.

Then again, maybe previous posters were just being humble to avoid this thread becoming a contest of some sort.

I think a 90 year-old man with no arms and a 1-inch tool could pee on that . . .

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages