snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Urban Legends » Friday the 13th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday the 13th
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Steph   E-mail Steph   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have any good stories about superstition or Friday the 13th folklore?
Posts: 56 | From: Sturgis, MI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is said that Saturday the 14th will follow Friday the 13th. [Razz]
Never mind. [fish] I got it.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 302 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My story is this: nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened to me on a Friday the 13th.

Hey! Get that trout away from me! I never said it was a good story! [fish]

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My 15 year old got her Learner's Permit (to drive) on Friday the 13th.

I can't see how that is going to be a good thing.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And there was a full moon out when I drove to work.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are doing our taxes today - an early start. That's my unsuperstitious hope for a great refund. My Mom keeps warning me though every time today and taxes happen.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
thekatbird
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thekatbird   E-mail thekatbird   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I met my husband on Friday the 13th. I married him on Friday the 13th. It's our lucky day.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. I'd hate to have to come back tomorrow and say he got a bit sassy and I clobbered him on Friday the 13th. [lol]

Posts: 26 | From: Gray, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, talk about Ned Flanders! How'd you get your W2s so fast?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chiefs_lady
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiefs_lady   E-mail chiefs_lady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter was born on a Friday the 13th. For several years that was a good thing, then it turned into a bad thing, and now it's a good thing again--because she has matured into a pretty great young lady. Now if she would just spend some time with her daughter!!!

--------------------
The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own. -Benjamin Disraeli
----------------
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. -my friend Mary Ellen

Posts: 304 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was born on Friday the 13th. And on that day.... A plague was released on mankind! Muahahahaha!

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few months after I turned 18 on a Friday the 13th two of my friends and I were going to go see the Dracula movie (the awful one with Keanu Reeves) My buddy who was driving had somehow acquired a bottle of Evan Williams Whiskey. Like the dumb-asses that we were we were drinking it on our way there. Just as we pulled into the parking lot, the lights from the cop car were flashing in the rear view mirror.

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there's coincidental, freaky bad things happening to you, then there's asking for it.

Also, that movie wasn't awful; just Keanu Reeves was.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some twat driving an Audi Estate drove into me on the way to work this morning,

Apart from that nothing.

ETA Just burned my fingertip on a dog end.

Maybe there is something in it then!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once killed a refrigerator on Friday the 13th! I was trying to defrost it using a hammer and screwdriver, and nicked the Freon line [Smile]

Luckily, the landlord admitted it was an old unit and replaced it without charging me ...

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steph:
Anyone have any good stories about superstition or Friday the 13th folklore?

I'll have to ask my parents, since I was born on a Friday the 13th.

~Psihala
(*Hey, I'm still around, aren't I?)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good stories? Like how a store in the local mall had a sale, 50% off all black clothing??

That wasn't good - It was GREAT!!

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Friday the 13th baby here. Yesterday someone told me that the French do not consider 13 to be unlucky. They even consider it lucky.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I found out that my scholarship will be expiring this semester. I still have another year of school before I graduate. If I can't find another scholarship it will cost about $2,500 not including books.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Wow, talk about Ned Flanders! How'd you get your W2s so fast?

Unexpected efficiency on the part of the payroll department. I'm not going to complain.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing unlucky happened here. I was extra cautious while driving, particularly at risky intersections.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday the 13th's have traditionally been my luckiest days.

For example, on this year's first Friday the 13th, it became official that my best friend could adopt a baby girl, five hours later another friend of mine gave birth to a baby boy, and the contract on the house my husband and I are buying were turned in.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:

ETA Just burned my fingertip on a dog end.

Which end of the dog was hot enough to burn you?

I hadn't even realized it was Friday the 13th until i read this thread late that evening. Even if i had, it's had no effect on how i go about my day anyway. I don't go in for that triskadecaphobia and unluckiness stuff.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's mine, cut and pasted from where I goofed earlier:
My day was wonderful until about 8:30 pm. I went to a Ruby Payne training in a neighboring district, and carpooled with my boss. She dropped me off at wm on the way home. Since we needed groceries, J was going to pick me up there instead of my boss having to drive me all the way back home. (We don't have tags on both our new cars yet)

I paged J three times while my boss was with me, and I finally sent her home, saying he'd be there soon. Ha! At nine, I tried calling home, with no sucess. We don't have cell phones, so I called my mother's. She didn't answer. At this point, it's 9:30. Since there's a possibility that he's ignoring the payphone on caller ID, I call my dad's cell, even though he tends to be on fishing trips on Friday nights. Luckily, he was home, and he sent my sister to drive by the house to see if our van was there.

Shortly before 10, my dad calls the walmart payphone to tell me not to panic, but the van was not at home.

It was a dark, windy night. My husband is missing, he has my kids, and the road from our town to the one I'm in is 20 miles of curves and hills. Of course I panicked. The poor door-greeter is trying to calm me down. He is not helpful when he says, "Well, you know it is Friday the 13th." Then the security guard asked me if we were in a divorce/custody dispute! That wasn't helpful, either. I wound up calling the city police, sherriff's department, and highway patrol to make sure they hadn't found our van wrecked. One of them was helpful enough to tell me they hadn't arrested him, either.

At 10:30 I get paged to the service desk for a phone call. It turns out J went to the wrong town and looked for me in a store 30 miles from where he was supposed to pick me up! Part of me was furious, but I can understand if he forgot where I said to get me, because the town he went to is the one I usually go to for professional development. But I was still pretty mad once I got over my panic. Today it's funny. Friday and yesterday it was not.

So, what happened to you Friday?

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday the 13th was 7 months with my boyfriend. [Smile]
Unfortunately, he was of the country...
So some friends of mine decided to come over and play Kareoke Revolution with my roommate (it's her's, I swear) and myself.
Unfortunately, one of them neglected to tell us that she's allergic to cats, to we had to go somewhere else.
So we went over to another friend's house, video game in tow, and realized as we got there that she had forgotten our keys.
I wish I'd gotten a picture of her climbing in the window.
So we got inside, but then my roommate couldn't figure out how to hook up the playstation... All in all, it took about an hour to get it set up to play, but it was a lot of fun once it was working. Nothing really terrible happened, but a lot of little unlucky things. It was a good night overall, though. I just wish that my boy was around.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I had THE worst Friday the 13th EVER.

I woke up, and I got a paper cut on my page-a-day calendar. Then I went downstairs and nearly tripped over my black cat as it crossed my path. To make matters worse, someone had stuck a ladder between the hallway and the kitchen, and I was forced to walk under it. The ladder collapsed, killing a spider. I tossed salt over my shoulder to prevent anything worse from happening, and proceeded to make breakfast. After burning my hand on the toaster, I rant to the bathroom to cool my hand, slipping on the salt on the floor in the process.

I don't remember what happened after that. When I woke up, I had a burnt hand, a concussion, and it was Saturday the 14th.

[fish]
*ow*

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was lucky on Friday. DW somehow managed to convince her mom to watch all three kids overnight and we got to go out to dinner with friends.

My cousin and her husband own a restaurant in Newport, so that's where we went. It's called the Rhumb Line, and it's been featured on "$40 a day" with Rachel Ray. (I think in 2003)

Coincidentally, my wife's younger cousin is a waiter there, and he waited on us. No, really, he took the job and then found out that my cousin owned the joint. Hey, it's a damned small state, Rhode Island is.

So I had a NY Strip about the size of my forearm and a big ol' pile of garlic & cheddar smashed potatoes, a duck appetizer that left me wanting more, and a banana cake dessert that was topped with carmelized banana slices and ice cream. And some scotch.

They have a jazz pianist playing in the dining room on weekends, and when we walked in, he was playing "Free Bird". He was really good, and he played an amazing mix of tunes.

Then we went back to our friends' apartment and watched "Web Junk" on VH1.

Then we went home and had uninteruppted, unhurried sex for the first time in a month.

Friday the 13th is my new lucky day!

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another Friday 13th baby. Did someone up above take plague? I'll take famine. Can some other people pick up war and death? Let's start the apocalypse!

Huh? Oh, my Friday the 13th went okay.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MelBell
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelBell     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet another Friday the 13th baby, and this one was my birthday! I like when it actually falls on a Friday. Never been unlucky so far.

The only thing I don't like about being a Friday the 13th baby is when people find out and they say "Oh, that explains it." So original.

Posts: 143 | From: Middle Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aureal
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aureal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was Friday the 13th? Well, that explains why I got rear-ended while on my way to class. And why the trooper forgot to give back my license and vehicle registration afterward.
Posts: 698 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 15 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday the 13th bad luck aparently wanted to wait 4 days before smacking me upside the head. Other than having a great time with my son, it was a bad day.

There was an ice storm last night so the roads were slicker than snot.

My school was delayed until 2pm today, but I didn't find that out until I arrived for my 8 o'clock class.

SO and I had a minor tiff that put me in a bad mood.

I've had a pounding headache for four days straight.

I broke someone's heart today. [Frown]

Today sucked.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shurimon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Friday the 13th, I was going on an overnight retreat with 7 other people. We drove a university van, since there were so many of us, and found that the roads leading up to the cabin were narrow and pretty steep. Well, we took the last turn going up the hill a little wide- stalled- then the van slid back into a wooden guardrail and would not move. The drop beyond wasn't steep, but covered with trees, so we were still in danger if the guardrail broke. So we all scrambled out, got our things out, and my advisor called a tow truck. Unlucky that that happened, but it was lucky that we got out OK. [Smile]

--------------------
"Oh, coulda-shoulda-Prada, honey!" ~Karen, "Will & Grace"
Head of Hufflepuff at Platform 9 3/4. PNTQ- The One For You!

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My kid is seriously pissed at me because we didn't go to a superstition bash. I'm sorry about that but the local one has been canceled due to lack of interest and I didn't think it was an exciting enough event to travel to (but I sure the hell will next time). I tried to appease the boy by giving him a mirror to break and encouraging him to step on cracks. No, I didn't have any holistic lemonaide and evidently the stations of superstition aren't all that fun when its just him and mommy. I can't believe the boy made me feel like a crap mommy for not taking him to a bash (who's only purpose it to rack up as many 'bad luck' points as posible). Heck, if the boy likes skeptics so much and since he knows some sign, he might just find himself in a ape suit playing triva come the next Darwin Day.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lionswims

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lionswims   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thekatbird:
I met my husband on Friday the 13th. I married him on Friday the 13th. It's our lucky day.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. I'd hate to have to come back tomorrow and say he got a bit sassy and I clobbered him on Friday the 13th. [lol]

Is the fact that you both met him and married him on the day incidental, or was it planned?
Posts: 134 | From: Farmington, CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages